• 1 Post By O2AFAC67
  • 2 Post By Viper98912
  • 2 Post By O2AFAC67
  • 2 Post By enycelilc
  • 1 Post By Viper98912
  • 2 Post By sticky

Thread: Through the looking glass...

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Off Topic post Through the looking glass...

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Re: Through the looking glass...

What is this thing?

Off Topic post Re: Through the looking glass...

Quote Originally Posted by Viper98912 View Post
    What is this thing?
    The watch is posed on a snapshot I took back in 1992. We were waiting for takeoff clearance from Air Boss and I quickly picked up a Kodak and snapped the pic trying to frame my gunsite and the lead aircraft in the photo. The photo is adhered to black felt which is in turn adhered to a wooden block. The block essentially serves as a frame mounting for the photograph. In the photo, I liked the way the curvature of the windscreen accentuates the view of Lead and the reflector glass in the gunsite slightly distorts the runway from that angle. Add the reflection of the watch on the glossy surface of the photo and I couldn't help thinking of Lewis Carrol's novel "Through The Looking Glass" which is his sequel to "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". I hope that makes sense for you...
    Best,
    Ron
    Last edited by O2AFAC67; 1 Week Ago at 06:08.
    Burgs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lol...well not exactly what I was thinking! I meant what watch is that?

I'm glad you did send the story though, I did not see the reflection, and it's cool to hear the actual story behind what it means to you.
    O2AFAC67 and Burgs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper98912 View Post
    lol...well not exactly what I was thinking! I meant what watch is that?

I'm glad you did send the story though, I did not see the reflection, and it's cool to hear the actual story behind what it means to you.
    Well, thank you! Sorry I didn't understand your query at first. I guess I wanted to explain the photo more than the watch. The watch is a 2007 vintage Chronomat Evolution with slate dial and factory diamond bezel. My late wife gifted it to me on my 60th birthday in 2007. It was originally equipped with the 22-20mm 357A Pilot bracelet but I sold that bracelet and re-kitted the watch with the quite rare A70177 slate dial UTC module and its UTC specific 359A Pilot bracelet. Over the years I have photographed this one-of-a-kind kitting literally many times more than necessary I'm sure but I have always thought it was one of the most beautiful watches I had ever seen. A few years ago I gave it to my Bette to wear whenever she liked because I was no longer wearing it although I have always kept it serviced and on its winder. She has only worn it on rare occasions so we are thinking about selling it to someone who will wear and appreciate it as much as I have. After its last service/polish recently I decided to shoot a few newer pics of it for keepsake purposes and I've actually worn it a couple of times since I tried kitting the Bund pads with it. I just get a kick out of thinking this very unusual combination of Bund, steel, and rarity is so unique it's fun to wear again. Still, I am considering letting it go in the near future... Below is a recent "wristie" of the Bund kit and some earlier pics of the kit without the "fun Bund"...
    Best,
    Ron

Last edited by O2AFAC67; 1 Week Ago at 18:55.
    nuovorecord and gtopaul like this.

sorry to hear about your wife but what a great gift from her.. cool watch and backstory!

Not to sound..."incorrect"...but...if it means that much to you, and it has cool customizations, and it was a gift from your wife, I'd keep it because I'd want to be buried with it...

Just my opinion, because it's truly a priceless piece for you
    Burgs likes this.

I was thinking the same thing as The Viper. My wife gave me my Navitimer. Nobody gets it until I'm dead, and then it goes to my son.
    I'm just sentimental that way...
    Last edited by Burgs; 5 Days Ago at 11:39.
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong."
    ~ Inspector O

Just FYI you youngsters a Kodak isn’t a very large breed of grisly bear but a camera more usually found in the pre camera phone era.

Thread Information