Why you chose Breitling - Page 3
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Why you chose Breitling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Why you chose Breitling

Every time I hit up the mall as a kid, I went straight to the bookstore and flipped through the car magazines. Constantly saw one Breitling ad after another. That alone cemented my determination to get one some day. As I entered my teens and early adult years I lost interest in watches, but when I started making decent money for the first time in my life and decided to treat myself to a really nice watch, I immediately jumped to the brand that spoke to that goofy little child nearly 30 years ago.

As soon as I can get a Countach, I'll be set for life!

ok so to me there are 3 ways to look at this question:
    Why Breitling as a favorite?
    Why Breitling over Rolex?
    Why an Avenger GMT over an Explorer?

As to the 2nd one... cause that's quickest to answer IMO.
    Breitling puts more work into case design (Rolex case designs are bland IMO), typically has nicer crystals than Rolex, typically has nicer bracelets (not clasps)
    You can buy pretty much any Breitling you want new and usually at a discount (I am very against paying more than retail for any used item) their ADs treat you well instead of as a nuisance for wanting to be added to a waiting list (NOT ALL ROLEX ADs, just stories I've heard.) Breitling treats their ADs better. Once you own a Breitling it belongs to you, Rolex wants ADs to hold onto you hang tags and sometimes paperwork so you'll have a hard time reselling an item you bought! (For a year or two) Breitling has just as much historical significance.
    make no mistake: Rolex makes a great watch! If you love the style more don't let the other stuff get in your way, cause its a great product.

Why an Avenger over an Explorer? Perhaps that's actually the easier answer.... The design is just way more appealing to me. The bracelet has significant visible interest. The dial is more interesting to me, the markers are nicer. To me it just looks better in every way. Design is a personal thing so you or anyone could easily disagree and be right. Of course there is the whole, you'll be paying over retail used (maybe) for the Rolex over an already more affordable Breitling.

Why Breitling overall? I grew up with a love of aviation. Everything I every saw or read about Breitling and their aviation history drew me in. I love watches and pretty much always have. Putting those two together have always made me want a Breitling. Even young I was always aware of other brands (esp Tag and Rolex) but Breitling and their designs always spoke to me the most. Even now as a more experienced collector I keep going back to Breitling as my favorite brand and favorite watches I own. I've owned a lot of watches, currently have about 40 have had over 50. But right now I have 8 watches from what many would call respectable Swiss brands ( 3 Hamilton, 1 Oris, 2 Omegas, 2 Breitling) and even having these, even having handled so many brands, Breitling is still overall my favorite. My Omegas are awesome! I hope to add another Oris soon. THere are many other brands I'd love to add. But still my brain goes back to Breitling. There are very few watches if any in their catalog I don't really like or love. No other brand does that for me.

Breitling always had a good pedigree, customer service, and some pretty great styles. I've owned a couple and found them classy, not too ostentatious, and well made.
    Dark Overlord likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
    For the love of chronographs. In fact, it's my first recollection of connecting with a watch when I was a kid and saw a Navitimer the first time. Been chasing chronographs ever since.

Have had many Breitlings and this is my current one in the stable. How can you not love this... :)

One of my favorites
    71 TRUCK likes this.

The Navitimer is such a classic that it was always a watch I had in mind to acquire. Great build quality, functionality and looks make it a permanent part of my collection.

Name:  IMG_4168.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  1.17 MB

Became tired of my Rolex Explorer and sold it. Also grew tired of my Omega Seamaster and sold it as well. Now looking at a Breitling Avenger II GMT to go along with my Speedmaster.

Not sure if I add anything to this discussion, but I ended up not caring for the Seamaster's bracelet and found Rolex AD's general snooty attitude to be off-putting.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Hesalite | Sinn 556i | G-Shock DW5600Gone: Omega Seamaster 300m Ceramic, Rolex Explorer 214270, Seiko SARX045, Seiko SKX007

I have chosen for a Breitling avenger 2 gmt.
    Always wanted a Breitling and the avenger gmt has a great size, a nice complication and not to blingbling

Still find it the perfect watch for me!

But saving now for a Rolex Explorer 2 Polar. But the avenger always will stay

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

First let me say that I have been a Breitling fan for many years. I have an extensive collection and although I don't have one, the current Avenger GMT is one of my favorites. IMO the vast majority of Rolex owners own them because of the marketing done by Rolex. Right now, Rolex is the "in" thing, unfortunately you can't go into an AD and buy one. The average customer looking to buy a Rolex is laughed at by AD's, generally told that they need to be put on a list, buy jewelry at inflated prices or buy multiple watches to get one highly sought after model. Most Rolex owners own a Rolex so that they are able to say "that their watch is a Rolex". If you venture into various Rolex forums the majority of Rolex owners have IMO, drank the kool-aid, very few venture outside of the Rolex brand. Rolex is the one and only and put on such a pedestal that you risk banishment should you question the "crown". Do I own a Rolex, yes I do. I currently have two in my collection, or should I say one, because my wife has "taken" over control of my "Hulk". (Not a big deal because at 40 mm it is a little too small for me.) My other, a Skydweller, is a keeper but I have had several others that "did not sing to me" which I sold to fund other watch purchases.

If you think that you are only going to buy one high end watch I would go for the Avenger II GMT for a couple of reasons. Rolex enthusiasts will complain about the resale of Breitling but will gladly pay above MSRP for a sought after model. An Avenger II GMT can be had brand new at an AD for a significant discount, if you look at the classified ads you can find a LNIB for approximately $2500. A new Rolex Explorer II will set you back $8100 plus taxes from an AD if you can find one, more than that on the grey market. I would get the Avenger II GMT and invest the difference, it is a significant amount. In twenty years you can take that money and give it to your child and let them choose the watch that they would like!

In the end I would recommend the Breitling for a couple of reasons, one it is a great watch which will serve you well. It has a work horse movement which is easily serviced, it is reasonably affordable, and its appearance can be altered by simply swapping out straps, for which there are many. The Rolex, heaven forbid you remove the bracelet and look to wear it with something else!!! There is nothing wrong with a Breitling, they are great watches when bought at the right price. But remember, everyone has an opinion and they are just that, opinions. By the watch that sings to you the most! Good Luck!
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

I had a stunning Superocean Steelfish (blue) that I unfortunately sold about 5 years ago. During the same time I owned an vintage TT Datejust. Sold that also.
    My current lineup consists of a Rolex OP39 (rhodium), several Tudors, and a Fortis chronograph. With that said I'm looking at another Breitling dive watch. There is something special about the Superocean line that piques my interest. I was considering looking at the Heritage II, with the Tudor movement, but frankly don't care for the vintage look.
    So, why do I chose Breitling? It all boils down to their rock solid build for me. I also appreciate their small details such as the screw-on bezel and bracelet screws rather than pins.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Remembering still how the bright blue eagles fly.

Influenced by my older brother's Cosmonaute back in the late 70s. He flew F86Ds at that time. It was a utility watch for him. Got the Colt to honour his memory.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  2.66 MB
    O2AFAC67 likes this.
    6.5" left wrist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information