Why you chose Breitling
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why you chose Breitling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why you chose Breitling

Iíve spent the last year researching watches and have grown to love the avenger 2 gmt and Rolex Explorer ii. Iím a one watch guy and have no ambitions to purchase more than one high end watch. I love the value in both. The avenger speaks to my sensible side to spend less now while the Rolex says spend more now and Iíll be worth more in a hundred years for your kid.

I am am curious why you chose Breitling over Rolex when you made your purchase? I realize many of you have both and thatís awesome. Iím just curious to read everyoneís thoughts on Breitling over Rolex if itís the only watch you are going to wear.

Thanks
    Time...We all get twenty four hours in a day but how many twenty four hours we get is up to a higher power...

Re: Why you chose Breitling

At the time Rolex had no sense of style to me.
    The dive watches I was looking at to me, needed to not look plain.
    My first Breitling was a Superocean Steelfish. It has a dark blue dial as compared the black dial of a Rolex.
    My next Breitling was a Avenger ll Seawolf with the yellow dial.
    With that said the Rolex watch have become more appealing to me over the last few years. I wish they were more appealing to me back when I started collecting.
    I could have had then at great prices back then.

Name:  DSCN0538.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.21 MB
    Superocean Steelfish

Breitling always seemed to me that little bit different to other swiss brands, after holding a breitling for the first time I was amazed at how solid the bracelet felt (especially compared to other brands) and there was no doubting the quality.
    The history of the brand was also a big bonus, although I hate this new direction the brand is taking with all this "squad" cr*p and the taking away the wings...
    O2AFAC67 likes this.
    Cheers,
    Macey.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I purchased my Breitling, I had been lusting after it for years. In college, I worked part time at a clothing retailer in the mall. Most days I would walk right past the Mayor's and saw the white w/ blue sub dials Colt in the window and was blown away by it. I got the catalog and it sat on my coffee table, I would memorize all the specs and drool over the pics. I loved the style, the sense of how premium it looked and felt, the branding was perfection back then with all the aviation, the packaging just oozed luxury and performance, it was so heavy in your hand and yet felt so perfectly balanced.

It took me another decade to really appreciate Rolex. I've since added a Kermit to the mix and really love wearing it and how practical yet beautiful it is.

In the end, if I was down to one watch again, I'd keep my Breitling over my Rolex, Omega, B&R, etc.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

I absolutely love their polished steel. I don't wear a Breitling (navitimer and chronomat) every day, but when I do, it sure draws in some attention. lol. Great watches, especially with their inhouse movements. I do find that their resale value is not the highest, which is why I tend to purchase these on the used market at good prices.

I purchased my first Breitling, a B-1 back in 2003. It was an awesome watch and got tons of looks and complements. Died after around 5 years and I returned it to Costco, where they refunded my money after telling me they could not fix it. Love Costco. Went away from the brand for a while and didn't really wear a watch. Purchased a B-50 a few years ago and then a SOHII. Rolex has peaked my interest but I will probably never buy one at this point based on how the AD's treat their customers. Rolex is in short supply right now so dealers are basically telling customers to pound sand. Nicer ones put you on a list that goes nowhere. After looking at a few Rolex models, I honestly do not know what all the hype is about. Breitling seems to be the same quality and you can buy what you want at a nice discount. Omega is another brand I would consider but they seem very similar to Breitling. At the end of the day, I would not buy any watch as an investment, even Rolex will probably drop like a rock at some point.

Breitling is one of the few brands making high end quartz ana-digi models that have style. They look bullet proof. I also like bigger watches and Breitling really delivers here !

Why you chose Breitling

I've been a huge car person my entire life and grew up reading car magazines constantly. When I was maybe 12 (~early '00s) I found out that Breitling made the clocks for Bentley. Unfortunately a Bentley still remains out of my price range, but that formative moment and my general like of their aesthetic at the time put Breitling at the top of my mind as a "when I can afford this, I'll do it" thing. My style evolved considerably (for the better, just ask my girlfriend) by the time I could actually afford a luxury watch, so I bought my SOH1 as my first nice watch. I still have it and love it.

As for why not Rolex... nothing they make really suits my taste. Even taking price aside I'd prefer a Speedmaster to a Daytona for the aesthetics and toughness. I prefer my PO2500 to the Sub and in fact deliberately bought it instead of a Sub. Some, like the Yacht-Master, I find too flashy and others like the Explorer just don't do it for me.

I'd consider an OP, maybe in the 36mm range, as a true dress watch if I was in the market for one but I never really need a dress watch. I recently turned 30 and seriously considered getting a Rolex because it seemed like the thing to do. After looking around nothing really lit my fire so I got a huge OLED TV instead. No regrets.

The flashiness of the name and their high level of noticeability probably plays into it also, which is likely another reason I prefer Bentley to Rolls-Royce. Flying a little under the radar is more my speed so I'll stick with less ostentatious names like Breitling and Omega until Rolex makes something I love.

^ yes please

^ that sort of thing ain't my bag, baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ProjectQuattro; 2 Days Ago at 12:43.
    O2AFAC67 and tylerblack44 like this.
    In the collection:
    β SuperOcean Hťritage A1732124
    Ω Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Seiko Day-Date 7N43-8A39 (inherited)
    Guess WaterPro Chronograph 42mm (whole lot of history)

In the garage:

Carrera 3.2 Targa (toy)
    F10 5-Series (daily)
    Audi Q3 (hers)

I chose Breitling because when I was a child, a very close and well-off family friend had one and I remember thinking it was the coolest thing in the world, before I knew anything beyond my 30-something mm Timex Expedition. I made a promise then that I would get myself a Breitling once I had ďmade itĒ in life.

Fast forward 20 years. Iím married, have a very good job with great income, and Iím happy. After getting engaged, I told my now-wife my dreams of owning a Breitling (I had an Oris Aquis at the time), and she bought me an Avenger II GMT as a wedding gift. Iíve worn it every day since.

Next in my Breitling journey will probably be a matching set of the new SuperOcean watches for my wife and I, which she fully supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Avenger II GMT in blue is beautiful! Congrats on a spouse that gets it!
    tylerblack44 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information