Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues - Page 4
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

Nice watch, looks good on you. I would be concerned with moisture intrusion on a watch that hasn't had its gaskets changed in 13 years. At the very least do a pressure check and then decide on the gaskets but they do deteriorate oover time. . Have a competent watchmaker check it out. Me, I use BUSA, I get done what I want to have done and decline certain things based on my comfort level. The watch (s) returns with a year warranty. I do not want issues so I pay the price. But that's me, your mileage may vary. Get the seals checked :) enjoy the watch. Its a beauty.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

A beautiful piece! Wear it well.

Personally, I'm in the "you should have it serviced" boat. The car analogy is used often, but it still holds true in my opinion. If you drive your car 5,000 miles over it's scheduled oil change interval, but the engine still runs, should you keep going and ignore the recommended service? In my view, that's just asking for trouble, and you probably should have had it serviced quite a while ago.

I certainly agree with the points raised regarding gaskets, but I would also consider lubricants that have dried/gummed up.

Personally, I would take it to Breitling for an overhaul. Consider the odds of you looking back on it and thinking, "gosh, bringing it in for service was a really bad idea..."

I think you owe it to yourself and to your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MirusWatches View Post
    A beautiful piece! Wear it well.

Personally, I'm in the "you should have it serviced" boat. The car analogy is used often, but it still holds true in my opinion. If you drive your car 5,000 miles over it's scheduled oil change interval, but the engine still runs, should you keep going and ignore the recommended service? In my view, that's just asking for trouble, and you probably should have had it serviced quite a while ago.

I certainly agree with the points raised regarding gaskets, but I would also consider lubricants that have dried/gummed up.

Personally, I would take it to Breitling for an overhaul. Consider the odds of you looking back on it and thinking, "gosh, bringing it in for service was a really bad idea..."

I think you owe it to yourself and to your watch.
    I appreciate your advice (as well as everyone who’s posted). I think I’m going to look into having it looked at, likely by Breitling. For now, I’ve pulled it from the rotation/winder and will plan a visit to a local trusted AD.

You all a great resource and I appreciate greatly the thoughtfulness and advice.

Mark
    O2AFAC67 and OB59 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm also in the "get it serviced" camp. You've had it for 13 years, so even if it costs $1000, that's only $77 per year. After the service, you should get another 10+ years. You do have a choice, send it back to the mothership, or find a qualified watchmaker that will charge you less. I would be concerned about the gaskets and the lubrication getting all gummed up and causing more damage. Good luck.
    O2AFAC67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark37 View Post
    @gtpaul thanks for the feedback. Yeah breitling will charge a ton. I think I’m likely going to hold off. Unless I notice it acting bizarre.
    I can vouch for the "charge a ton" part. I would not send it in unless/until you notice something changing: rough crown, sticky pushers, slower/faster.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information