Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

Hello WUS! Thought I’d ask for some advice on my 2005-6 Breitling Chronomat Evolution. I’m not really seeing any issues with the watch but it’s been about 13 years with no service. I rarely get the piece wet except one time I gave it a cleaning under running water for a few minutes. No issues there either. Luckily it’s still spotless. Running at about +3 to +4 per day with chrono running about 8-9 hours per day (I like the central hand sweeping).

Any advice? Should I send it to service or stand pat?

Thanks for any input!

Mark

Here’s a pic. Not to shabby I think. Of course I’m biased. Cheers folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I too have a never serviced Breitling (Avenger Skyland) currently running at + 1 second every FOUR days and am loathed to have it serviced whilst running so well, the only thing with your watch is...leaving the Chrono function running most of the time will add additional wear to the movement..this though I THINK depends on the type of chronograph mechanicals of your particular movement ie, Column wheel Or Cam lever, the column wheel, again I THINK is the one that can be left operating all the time with no additional wear and tear on the movement..

EDIT, just had a quick scan on the web and it looks like the type of clutch on your Chrono movement will decide if it can be left running all the time with no extra wear and tear....I'm sure someone on here with better knowledge will clear it up..
    Last edited by Macey; 6 Days Ago at 10:21.
    Cheers,
    Macey.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@Macey that’s great, and thanks for the tip on movement wear. I’m going to have to research my movement. I think it’s a Breitling Caliber 13 (ETA/Vajoux 7750).

I don’t think I’d send yours in with that performance. I’m going to take a better read on mine. I fully wound and wore it yesterday, put it at rest overnight (about 8 hours) and just checked it against atomic time app. It’s -1.5 for the day. Going to have to see what tomorrow brings. Maybe I’m just wrong on my earlier quote on timing performance, or just stupid. I hope it’s the first.

Cheers and Thanks!

Re: Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

I wouldn't send it in until it needs it. Breitling will charge you over $1k whether it's got issues or not. You'll be surprised what BUSA will tell you it needs once they get their hands on it.
    Macey likes this.

Hi Mark, Yes that's the same movement as my Skyland and I'm 99% sure it's not recomended to leave the Chrono running, having said that it doesn't sound like it's done your watch any harm.😊
    Cheers,
    Macey.

@gtpaul thanks for the feedback. Yeah breitling will charge a ton. I think I’m likely going to hold off. Unless I notice it acting bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Macey View Post
    Hi Mark, Yes that's the same movement as my Skyland and I'm 99% sure it's not recomended to leave the Chrono running, having said that it doesn't sound like it's done your watch any harm.😊
    I never really thought about the harm it would cause. I’ve always looked at the piece as bullet proof...truthfully it has been. I’ll have to tamp down my vanity chrono use!

Love watching that B counterbalance move!

Re: Would you send 13 year old Breitling for service showing no issues

Please don't hold me as an authority but I was told the chrno does not have jewels on its pivot points and for that reason it should not be run constantly. Again, read this a while ago but have not had any other conformation over the years. As for having it serviced, I would agree with the rest of the folks here and wait until it needs a service. Yes, there will be a need to replace parts but that is going to happen now or later. Enjoy your watch.
    Frank.
    Betrayed and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    Please don't hold me as an authority but I was told the chrno does not have jewels on its pivot points and for that reason it should not be run constantly. Again, read this a while ago but have not had any other conformation over the years. As for having it serviced, I would agree with the rest of the folks here and wait until it needs a service. Yes, there will be a need to replace parts but that is going to happen now or later. Enjoy your watch.
    Frank.
    Thanks Frank for the info and I think I’m going to resist running the chrono for long.

Also thanks to everyone for the thoughts on service. I think I will monitor the watch performance and otherwise hold off on sending in for service. You folks have been a great help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information