The Anonimo Firenze Cult...Still Accepting New Members or Dead?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By phunky_monkey
  • 3 Post By JayVeeez
  • 1 Post By SoCalLA

Thread: The Anonimo Firenze Cult...Still Accepting New Members or Dead?

The Anonimo Firenze Cult...Still Accepting New Members or Dead?

Having just purchased my second AF (Wayfarer 2008) despite knowing all of the issues with support/service...I think there may be some truth to the cult element of AF. Even as they "age", I find the fit finish and design to still be compelling.

I am keeping an eye on the third wave of Firenze watch making with Visconti, but find it a bit too far out there for me. Has anyone taken this step further into the ranks of the cult?

For that matter, is there still an AF cult, or has it disbanded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: The Anonimo Firenze Cult...Still Accepting New Members or Dead?

You've probably figured out the answer to your Q by how many replies have been posted in this thread;) The thrill is gone. The size is not right anymore. Getting them fixed is a PITA. So its not completely dead but the ranks are getting slimmer by day. And prices too...

Pop over the the Facebook page, there's still some action over there.

Personally I still love the pieces, and am willing to take the risk and use sparingly. Still haven;t found anything else that scratches that itch the same way. Wearing my San Marco as I type this :)
    RICH61703 likes this.
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@PhunkyMonkey, glad to know there are a few others out there still!

@Korneevy Yeah, I see the size as more of a subjective concern, but at least the prices are coming down for those still carrying the torch!

Picture Re: The Anonimo Firenze Cult...Still Accepting New Members or Dead?

I've got a few. I wear them sparingly in rotation, but enough to enjoy them. Service is a little bit of a circus but not impossible. The Original Anonimo Historical Facebook page stays a little busier than here, but this forum is still a great source for collectors.

There is still nothing out there quite like them. Visconti looks super cool but to me they are way over the top, almost ridiculous.

Anonimo Firenze watches are just great and find it a very sporting challenge in collecting them. They are high quality, handmade, and have an interesting history. They are also not terribly expensive on the secondary market, yet more rare pieces cost more than simple and more common ones. And that just makes it that much more fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by JayVeeez; January 17th, 2017 at 21:51.
    StefB, ridley and sanmilc like this.

Great AF collection! That Dino Zei is on my list. Let me know if you ever get bored with it.

I agree on Visconti...borderline clownish. They are at an 11, while the sub-40mm and Bauhaus market is at a 6. Hopefully they find a profitable niche until they are ready to get back to the 7-9 range produced by AF leadership.

JayVeeez likes this.

For me, the brand is dead, and I have owned a LOT of them--more than 15 at least. I still do check out the sales forums, and chuckle when I see anyone trying to sell one for more than $1K (if you can get it, great!).

They were wildly overpriced to begin with--retail was about twice what they were really worth even at retail--this set the stage for vast discrepancies in buyers versus sellers, AD markets versus gray markets, new versus used.

Then, Anonimo service, particularly at the Anonimo SPA, was especially poor, with long waits (6 months to a year as opposed to the already rather lame industry-standard of 1 to 3 months), with often poor results.

Next, pricing--accessories such as lug screws, lug tools, straps and bracelets were priced out of this world--priced as if they were established big league players which they weren't (price is a product of demand--there was simply not enough demand for their product, and one reason for their original demise is that they essentially priced themselves out of business).

And, size and weight--big and heavy. As the market is slowly walking away from the hockey puck on the wrist trend (note Panerai aftermarket sales have quietly crept downward in price/value within the last 18 months), Anonimo is looking more and more like an obsolete dinosaur.

Yes, they made some great watches, including some in the Dino Zei line (the Nautilo and Nocturnale, in particular, come to mind), the Polluce line (steel and bronze) and a few others, and some of those may be worth hanging on to. I however, don't miss them a bit.

May Anonimo rest in peace.
    Last edited by timefleas; January 19th, 2017 at 09:44.

Thread Information