Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

Thread: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member iim7v7im7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,623

    Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    Hi,

    I was recently trying to better understand the Kodiak process after purchasing some aftermarket straps utilizing this process. The Anonimo website claims:


    "In its constant research and innovation, Anonimo holds exclusive international patents: the Kodiak process..."

    I conducted an international patent search and found that an application titled Procedimento Per Rendere Lavabili in Acqua Pelli Conciate, IT FI20010023 (A1) was filed by ANONIMO S.R.L. (IT) with Fabrizio Ciampi and Federico Massacesi listed as the Inventors on August 9, 2002. No patent was ever granted for this application. I have written Anonimo and asked them to kindly provide the patent number to substaniate this advertized claim of this being a patented process?

    I do see however that Anonimo S.p.A. has trademarked the name Opera Kodiak with the European Trademark office which is a different type of protection focused on branding and not technology.

    I will let the forum know what they say in response.



    Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________________

    AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    640

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    I do not know the patent number but from what I understand the straps are processed thru a water proofing type system that is the same system which is used on the Italian Navy's leather boots to make them highly water resistant.

    I can also tell you that it works as I have worn my watch / strap into the water several times and it dries nicely and never smells like most leather straps would after being put into the water so many times.

  3. #3
    Member nelsondevicenci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    3,153

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    As a reference you can read this post... from a close person to the Anonimo History :

    Source : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f16/kod...ost757822.html
    Kodiak Straps History!
    [INDENT]At the beginning, When Mr. Col. Dino Zei was Leader of Panerai Production, he decided to start a replica line of old panerai II WWW Models timepieces.
    He committed this production to a few Little Industries on Florence.
    During that time, Mr. Massaccesi's (as you well know, actual owner of Anonimo Brand) Mother created the water resistant leather skin which was used to realize those first special Straps.
    Infact, at that time, collectors would not have loved to see RUBBER Straps linked to glourios panerai IIWWW New replicas on limited edition.....
    By the way, on Florence there were, and there are, many little Industries producing high quality leather skin.

    Not immediately, but after a certain period of time, Mr. Massaccesi provided to register official "Kodiac" naming Brevet and copyright........on his ownership..

    After; Mr. Col. Dino Zei, sold Panerai Inc. to Vendome-Richmont Group, as known, BUT no Kodiac Brevet and related legal rights.

    When Anonimo started its new line watches productions, for normal practically reasons, took a commerce agreement with an external laboratory on Florence to make Kodiac straps production..

    This external little Firm usually produces many and many "other" leather straps for various and important other timepieces Industries....

    really, this external laboratory usually receives an high quantities of Special "Kodiac" Skin great "Sheets" and, then, starts cutting process; fitting Anonimo's buckles an so on...

    Time ago, for a misunderstanding (perhaps, we could name it on this way......) the owner of this external laboratory sold a certain quantities of Kodiac leather special skin straps to other Timepiece Brands..

    One day, Mr Massaccesi's Staff saw that for example there were "ZENO Watch Basel" watches fitting Kodiac Straps....!!!!!!!!! =

    !!!!!!

    But; as explained; Anonimo has exclusive Law rights and brevet about "Kodiac Opera" Straps..



    Here an old thread also about it :

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f16/sam...ost754522.html
    Last edited by nelsondevicenci; August 15th, 2011 at 20:58.
    Nelson

    <img src=https://forums.watchuseek.com/picture.php?albumid=1487&pictureid=12078 border=0 alt= />

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member iim7v7im7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    I wasn't questioning the product's performance, just the manufacturer's claim of intellectual property on the manufacturing process.



    Bob


    Quote Originally Posted by abouttime View Post
    I do not know the patent number but from what I understand the straps are processed thru a water proofing type system that is the same system which is used on the Italian Navy's leather boots to make them highly water resistant.

    I can also tell you that it works as I have worn my watch / strap into the water several times and it dries nicely and never smells like most leather straps would after being put into the water so many times.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

    AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

  6. #5
    Member nelsondevicenci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    3,153

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    You can find in my posts what you looking for in more detail...may be you looking for the patent into names that are not the correct ones...
    Nelson

    <img src=https://forums.watchuseek.com/picture.php?albumid=1487&pictureid=12078 border=0 alt= />

  7. #6
    Member iim7v7im7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    Nelson,

    Thanks for sharing the post. Here is the rub...
    • Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli, the original Panerai strap maker manufactures straps today labelled "Original Kodiak". These are marketed openly by www.TCStraps.com and Mario Paci www.mariopaci.com for many years now.
    • Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli is run by Fabrizio Ciampi who is listed as an inventor on Italian patent application IT FI20010023 (A1) filed back in 2002 by Anonimo S.p.A. along with Federico Massacesi as co-inventor.
    • This patent was never granted by the EU patent office.
    As far as I can tell, Anonimo only holds an EU trademark on the name "Opera Kodiak" which is quite different from a utility patent. As I stated, I have asked them directly for the patent reference. Patents are not secrets, but public information. Anonimo claims that this is patented and they should be able to cite the number. I await their response to my straightforward inquiry.



    Bob


    Quote Originally Posted by nelsondevicenci View Post
    As a reference you can read this post... from a close person to the Anonimo History :

    Source : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f16/kod...ost757822.html
    Kodiak Straps History![INDENT]At the beginning, When Mr. Col. Dino Zei was Leader of Panerai Production, he decided to start a replica line of old panerai II WWW Models timepieces.
    He committed this production to a few Little Industries on Florence.
    During that time, Mr. Massaccesi's (as you well know, actual owner of Anonimo Brand) Mother created the water resistant leather skin which was used to realize those first special Straps.
    Infact, at that time, collectors would not have loved to see RUBBER Straps linked to glourios panerai IIWWW New replicas on limited edition.....
    By the way, on Florence there were, and there are, many little Industries producing high quality leather skin.

    Not immediately, but after a certain period of time, Mr. Massaccesi provided to register official "Kodiac" naming Brevet and copyright........on his ownership..

    After; Mr. Col. Dino Zei, sold Panerai Inc. to Vendome-Richmont Group, as known, BUT no Kodiac Brevet and related legal rights.

    When Anonimo started its new line watches productions, for normal practically reasons, took a commerce agreement with an external laboratory on Florence to make Kodiac straps production..

    This external little Firm usually produces many and many "other" leather straps for various and important other timepieces Industries....

    really, this external laboratory usually receives an high quantities of Special "Kodiac" Skin great "Sheets" and, then, starts cutting process; fitting Anonimo's buckles an so on...

    Time ago, for a misunderstanding (perhaps, we could name it on this way......) the owner of this external laboratory sold a certain quantities of Kodiac leather special skin straps to other Timepiece Brands..

    One day, Mr Massaccesi's Staff saw that for example there were "ZENO Watch Basel" watches fitting Kodiac Straps....!!!!!!!!! =

    !!!!!!

    But; as explained; Anonimo has exclusive Law rights and brevet about "Kodiac Opera" Straps..



    Here an old thread also about it :

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f16/sam...ost754522.html
    __________________________________________________ __________________

    AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

  8. #7
    Member iim7v7im7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    Nelson,

    Perhaps you are correct, but after my search I am not that hopeful (I used a professional tool called micropatent). That is why I reached out to Anonimo directly to answer what should be a straightforward question. The post that you referred me to is consistent with what I have found. They hae a trademark and not a patent. If they do not have a patent, then they should not claim to (Patents). I am hoping that I am incorrect and that you are correct.



    Bob

    Quote Originally Posted by nelsondevicenci View Post
    You can find in my posts what you looking for in more detail...may be you looking for the patent into names that are not the correct ones...
    __________________________________________________ __________________

    AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    209

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    I've always wondered how long can a Kodiak strap last?
    A normal croc strap will usually need to be replaced if used constantly after a year.

  10. #9
    Member timefleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Posts
    7,418

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    Pretty much the same for the Kodiak, as they are both primarily leather, or at least animal skin--the difference is that you can take the Kodiak diving in salt or fresh water, and the strap will in general resist these elements, while your croc will absorb them. Over time, absorption and re-absorption of various liquids will discolor your croc, leave stains and bacteria (resulting in both a discolored, and often "fragrant" strap), which the Kodiak will be much more resistant to. In both cases, though, the leather, or skin, will naturally soften up and break down over time, with constant use.
    Here today, here tomorrow...




  11. #10
    Member iim7v7im7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Anonimo Patent: Kodiak Process

    Hi,

    I have not heard a response from Anonimo after 1 week.

    1) They may be closed and on Holiday as many Italian companies are in August,
    2) They don't have an answer or choose to answer.

    I will give it a few more weeks before passing judgement. It is a simple question about publically disclosed information.
    After another few more weeks, I will have no other choice but to think that they do not hold a patent as claimed. I hope that I am mistaken.

    Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________________

    AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •