Anonimo Resale Value

Thread: Anonimo Resale Value

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anonimo Resale Value

Hi Guys,

I thought I would give my two cents about what I see in the resale market for Anonimo's. As you all are aware the resale value is terrible. As I see it ther are only two reasons for this one there is just not a market for these great timepieces or two we can blame ourselfs, the folks here on the Anonimo forum make up at least half of the way the market on Nimos are driven. We as buyers all want a great deal on the watch and will not buy until the watch is at least 30% of it retail value so now we have set an expectation and the market value. I for one have decided that I will not give my Nimos away especially since there are so few manufactured, these timepieces are just to spectacular to give away. I would love to hear your opinions....Mike

Re: Anonimo Resale Value

The OP's comment is based purely on values associated with sellers ("the market is terrible"). As a buyer, one might think the opposite. Most of us here, however, are both buyers and sellers, so I think a balanced perspective might be useful.

The Anonimo is a great watch, but there are many great watches to choose from in the world today. Besides a pretty stiff retail price, probably the biggest single point against it, (in terms of resale value) is that the watch is not that well known to the casual buyer (as the OP says, there is just not a market for these watches)--it is known only to an "exclusive" few, and as such, will not attract many interested buyers, new or used. The same is true of other small production, high quality watches, such as the German watch, Sothis, which sells watches in similar low numbered limited editions, for prices in the $3-5K range. Their resale value is just about as the OP suggests, at 1/3 the original retail, or less. However, some of us don't actually want to pay full retail for a high retail watch, even if we could afford it, and will look for the next best thing (either a different, cheaper, watch, or one of these on the used/after market). I can safely say that I will never want to pay full retail for what Anonimo (or Sothis, or IWC, or...) is asking for their watches, and will be part of the contingent looking for a great deal in the used/after market. Those who CAN or WANT to buy these watches at full retail probably CAN afford to "give them away" (i.e. sell them at a significantly lower price than retail). However, this low price is not just a small output issue nor a limited recognition issue; companies with far bigger production numbers, and much better known, also see their watches on the aftermarket for similar very low prices (such as Oris), while a few companies are doing well to find resales at about half their original retail (companies such as Ball), and a very few companies that have even better resale values (such as IWC, Panerai and Patek), but still usually well below 2/3 the original retail. A simple case of supply and demand I think--if you really want to sell your used Anonimos, and the other watches you have up for sale, you have to look at what people are paying, and of course the economy is not great for many folks. On Ebay, 75 Anonimo watches are listed in the "completed auctions" section--of those, only 15 sold, and of those, the majority sold for less than $1500! (The current median retail price of a new Anonimo is $5000!) If I needed a second one, given the choice between buying a new Polluce Bronze from the dealer for $4500, or a similarly new Polluce Bronze from the aftermarket for $2000 (or less), well, the choice is an easy one for me. Of course there are risks in aftermarket purchases--replicas, scams, warranty issues, etc.--but with intelligence and common sense, one can buy an Anonimo (or any other high quality watch) safely for exactly the mark down you suggest--why should at least some buyers not want to take that course (keeping in mind, again, that there just aren't that many Anonimo buyers out there)? When I buy a watch, I recognize its resale value at the time of my purchase, I know if I end up not keeping it, I will be able to recover a certain amount of my investment, but likely, I will lose money on the resale (especially if I pay full retail)--it is one of many factors that I use to determine whether the purchase makes sense or not--as a result, I try to buy low, and come as close as possible to breaking even on selling. And, based on this, I would actually say the market is pretty darn good--for at least some sellers, and buyers. Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post--that's my own two cents on the subject.
    Last edited by timefleas; September 30th, 2010 at 20:43.
    Less is More...

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

I was about to merge this thread since we have a few others here with a similar subject line, but I feel timefleas response warrants allowing this to stand by itself. I just wanted to add a a few thoughts to continue the discussion with regards to Anonimo old and new. What I see on ebay today is Anonimo old. Anonimo new realizes that there were too many models and variation and has scaled down the line and volumes to those it can sell in a year. All 2010 offerings are unique to that year in some manner. While nothing of Anonimo old could ever be considered mass produced it's line had too many models and variations for the channel it had established. This is what we are seeing on ebay (More supply then demand). Let's be realistic Anonimo must walk before it can run. By that it needs to sell out year after year. Until the pool of older models dries up all sales must compete against these. When the main channel for watches is from AD and not ebay the resale price will reflect it. This appears to be what Anonimo is trying to do. Advertising and other promotions will be in kind to the channel at that time. It was good to hear that some of the limited 2010 models sold out almost instantly. While WUS is a large forum we need to remember we are the minority of Anonimo owners. Probably their obscurity is the best selling point. It is for me.
    Last edited by samanator; October 1st, 2010 at 02:53.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SBD

I completely get where the OP is coming from. He's had some really nice pieces on the sales forum at what look like pretty fair and competitive prices. I wonder if Anonimo is currently positioned with one foot in a fairly expensive part of the market without having the brand recognition that other, more mature brands do. While at the same time, as Samanator pointed out, the older models are somewhat flooding the channel.

Personally, I see a lot of value in some of the pieces that have been floating aroind the forums. Just haven't hit the right combination of available funds and available watch :). Still trying though

Look at it this way: if you really want to sell something, no matter if it's a watch, a car or your organs you need to price your merchandise accordingly. Make no move to drop prices to encourage a sale and you won't sell it, simple as that. It's a buyer's market at the moment and two watches, being equal, the lower priced item will sell.

Applied to Anonimo in particular I think first of all they are overpriced new...there, I said it! Second there is a very small market for them...just us guys here on the forum. We could all just sell our watches to each other at great prices, knowing that one day they might come home to roost.

I'm trying to sell a GP70, so I looked around at prices on the net, damn me if the grey market retailers aren't letting that model go at ridiculously low prices! So to hopefully guarantee a sale I priced it lower than that, despite being priced at 2/3 of what I paid for it, still, there's very little interest. Luckily I don't have to sell to keep food on the table or anything but it's certainly putting a strain on the B U M and P keys on my laptop!
    Last edited by Satansfist; October 3rd, 2010 at 15:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Satansfist View Post
    Look at it this way: if you really want to sell something, no matter if it's a watch, a car or your organs you need to price your merchandise accordingly. Make no move to drop prices to encourage a sale and you won't sell it, simple as that. It's a buyer's market at the moment and two watches, being equal, the lower priced item will sell.

Applied to Anonimo in particular I think first of all they are overpriced new...there, I said it! Second there is a very small market for them...just us guys here on the forum. We could all just sell our watches to each other at great prices, knowing that one day they might come home to roost.

I'm trying to sell a GP70, so I looked around at prices on the net, damn me if the grey market retailers aren't letting that model go at ridiculously low prices! So to hopefully guarantee a sale I priced it lower than that, despite being priced at 2/3 of what I paid for it, stil,l there's very little interest. Luckily I don't have to sell to keep food on the table or anything but it's certainly putting a strain on the B U M and P keys on my laptop!
    I think this is pretty well said.

If you want a better resale value, get a Rolex, Omega or Breitling. It does WAY better on the used market. Most Anonimo watches get hit hard on the secondary market too. However, most Anonimo watches even with a sweet deal still run into very high dollar amounts due to the rarity, as the OP said. And as others have said, if you buy new they will cost you even more. Looking at the new line up, they are pretty cool.

I've sold other watches and got hit worse than I have on the Anonimo's I sold last year. Bottom line is that even top tier luxury brands take a hit. Perrelet, which is an excellent brand with a great line up of watches IMHO, takes it way harder than any brand than I have ever seen. Way worse than models from Anonimo. Other brands do have it worse and this is a fact which many know to be true.
    Last edited by JayVeeez; October 3rd, 2010 at 06:03.

I think you have a few factors working against the second hand market of Anonimo's, as mentioned above, not least of which is the discounting given on new watches. You see car manufacturers destroying their second hand market all the time by giving ridiculous discounts one the new models hit the floor. Those manufactuers who refuse to discount usually have the greatest resale values.

I've personally been turned off a car brand before for this reason alone, and for watches I'm sure those people who have been burned will remember it. I'll only purchase a watch if I know I'll get my most of my money back on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
    ...I'll only purchase a watch if I know I'll get my most of my money back on it.
    That'd mean you'd never buy a watch! Friends of mine who aren't into watches, when I tell them I'm selling watch X always ask if I'm making money from it. Of course not, there are very few watches you will get more than you paid or anywhere close I'm guessing.

I look at it this way: If I sell a watch for $350 less than I bought it, did I get $350 worth of enjoyment from it? Pretty much most of the time I can say yes...helps me get over the loss!

I think if buying second hand then it's still do-able! Having said that, 'most of my money back' is considered for me to be within a few hundred on a second hand watch valued at $1500-2k, provided that it is in the same condition I bought it for.

I didn't lose money on the Fortis I bought off of you Pete :thanks And I'm quite certain I could sell the Millimetri without losing any coin on it. Depends how much you want the particular item I suppose. I lose too much money on my cars to piss it all away on watches too!

Yeah if you've got more than one hobby you may aswell just burn your paycheck...if anyone actually gets paychecks anymore, I guess you'd have to burn your ATM instead...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information