Bronze Patina

Thread: Bronze Patina

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Bronze Patina

OK, now I'm looking for advice. I like to keep my watches cleaned up, but I have seen some of the nice patina patterns on other members bronze watches that look fantastic. I've held off from any polishing since the beginning of the year and the the patina only seems to be spotty at best and concentrated on or near the case back. How do others get these great patterns?
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: Bronze Patina

Over time it eventually evens out....It makes sense that it is getting patina towards the case back since your skin is in constant contact (Sweat, skin ph value all seem to aid in patina)...My Magnum was the same and now my Zenton bronze is also doing the same...Patina towards the case back and below the crown first. I wore my Magnum everyday for about 6 months and the patina was almost all uniform (Ocean swimming, running etc all helped)....Just be patient and expose it to the elements as much as possible and you'll get there.

If you are not patient then you can always go the boiled egg in a bag treatment route....but that takes the fun out of it ;)

Laughing Re: Bronze Patina

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    OK, now I'm looking for advice. I like to keep my watches cleaned up, but I have seen some of the nice patina patterns on other members bronze watches that look fantastic. I've held off from any polishing since the beginning of the year and the the patina only seems to be spotty at best and concentrated on or near the case back. How do others get these great patterns?
    Speaking as a sculptor who uses bronze, you have two options...1 is to create patination by chemical means, that is applying different liquid solutions and getting a range of different effects and colours.
    or my preferred option would be, is to handle the watch as much as you can. Take it off your wrist and while you are watching TV or waiting for a bus, hold it, and rub it with your fingers, you will find that the warmth of handling combined with the oils in your fingers and hands will begin to accellerate the patination and also even out the colouration. plus it is a nice way to 'bond' with your watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How often do you wear it Michael?
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

"...or waiting for a bus, hold it, and rub it with your fingers, you will find that the warmth of handling ..."

You'll also be guaranteed a seat by yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Satansfist View Post
    "...or waiting for a bus, hold it, and rub it with your fingers, you will find that the warmth of handling ..."

yeah, don't have it in your pocket when attempting the above...

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar
    I'm wondering if being mostly in AC here in south Florida has a limitation on this. I may try storing in the garage which is not controlled and may make this better.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by Satansfist View Post

Ha! Ha!!

Thread Information