Buckles...Thinking of modifying one...

Thread: Buckles...Thinking of modifying one...

Buckles...Thinking of modifying one...

OK, so I really would love to keep this bronze buckle on my new to me Nautilo, but it is just way too big and goofy looking in my opinion. It distracts from the watch to be honest, but we really don't have anything else available to us.
    I have a PVD buckle that I got from Davidsen in Japan for a custom strap a while back and I love the size of his buckles. I use his for all of my straps on my PAM 000, they are just polished SS.
    I was going to contact Sinoma and see if they might be able to make one with these dimensions, and if not, I was thinking of grinding the bronze one down at work.
    I guess I will see what they say before I take it to the troutman sander

Name:  IMG_0031-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  179.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0032-1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  151.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0033.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  161.1 KB
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

Re: Buckles...Thinking of modifying one...

First, congratulations on finally getting your Nautilo--I hope it was worth the wait! As for the buckle, since on wrist is it essentially out of view most of the time, I don't see how the Simona in its present state would in any way detract from the watch. I wouldn't bother with any changes myself, and unless you are particularly good with metal work, I doubt doing it yourself would be the way to go.
    Peter
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Peter,
    First, YES it was worth the wait. What a great, unique looking piece !

I think partly due to the length of the strap, the buckle does come around my wrist a bit more then I like, so it is pretty visible to me and second, due to it's bright color, it does stand out a bit from the dark patina the watch has acquired.

I'd like to think I'm pretty good with metal ;0) I make prosthetic limbs and orthotic braces for a living ;0)
    But I'm sure I'm just as capable of screwing this buckle up as well ;0)

Let the fun begin !!
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with you Christopher, I wasn't a big fan of the buckle either and was contemplating putting the DZ buckle and strap back on, or having another made. It's a bit big in my opinion, and ideally something made from the same marine bronze as the watch would be ideal so it would patinate in a similar way but I guess we may be waiting a while for that.

Glad you're enjoying it mate
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Personally I would keep the bronze buckle as it is and just get the other in a polished SS finish (that matches the highlights of the case). Or just bead blast the black one and polish if you know it works with the strap.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Thread Information