Historic Anonimo resurfaces??
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Historic Anonimo resurfaces??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Historic Anonimo resurfaces??

Came across a couple of articles on the new Visconti Abyssus Scuba 3000m Dive watch, which while oddly interesting still looks like a hodgepodge of random design elements that together are not really coherent (just my opinion), both of which are claiming that the underlying source (work) of the watch for the Visconti brand comes from former [historic] Anonimo leaders. Articles were in or on ablogtowatch and Watchtime. Here's a pic (below) from ablogtowatch's story. Anyways, I was wondering about a couple of things:
    1) Obviously, everyone's take on the watch?
    2) Any one have any knowledge about whether or not this is true? And who and how much are these former Anonimo employees are involved in the process?
    I guess there is a part of me holding out hope that we could still see the old Anonimo resurface somehow. Now, would I still want to buy in if rather than being anonymous it had huge "V" branding all over it? Am I grasping for the wind here because I am still in the denial phase? Haha. Please share your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Historic Anonimo resurfaces??

I can definitely see the Anonimo DNA on the Visconti...there is hope
    My take on the watch is that is wild looking, then again... is a prototype, if they can get Bucci to make the cases? we got a winner!
    Here is the review link....
    Visconti Abyssus Scuba 3000m Dive Watches Hands-On | aBlogtoWatch
    Last edited by eddiea; July 9th, 2014 at 14:21.
    jeremydw likes this.

Watches for pen-making company? Please - and bringing up Montblanc is not even remotely similar comparison, for many reasons, but mainly having to do with ownership by a proper watchmaking conglomerate with very very deep pockets. And that's even before going through the design issues...and after the whole Anonimo debacle I know better than to buy into microbrands that use all these crazy proprietary designs on their crowns (these will be first to go), strap changing tools (never be able to change strap again if I lose one micro screw in idiotic size, thank you so much) etc etc.
    DDD3333 and jeremydw like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A‘connection’ to historic Anonimo – yet no specific person or position they held at Anonimo cited.

I find it hard to believe that the person who designed (either literally or gave design direction to) the Professionale or the Dino Zei line would produce something over the top such as this watch. The only hint of Anonimo DNA would be the 8 and 4 numerals and the CNS logo (which isn’t proprietary, of course)

I had already seen the watch featured on another blog and thought it dreadful without any knowledge of any Anonimo connection. The idea that Steam Punk, essentially a vernacular which has looked both hackneyed, dated and tasteless for some time would be used to launch a new line was a puzzle to me (and an inevitable dead end in terms of broad appeal).

Regarding a valid Anonimo connection or not, I think the only way to view it (re this thread) is to pose it an actual Anonimo piece. If this had of been the case I think I would have been bitterly disappointed in Anonimo.
    jeremydw and phunky_monkey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD3333 View Post
    A‘connection’ to historic Anonimo – yet no specific person or position they held at Anonimo cited.

I find it hard to believe that the person who designed (either literally or gave design direction to) the Professionale or the Dino Zei line would produce something over the top such as this watch. The only hint of Anonimo DNA would be the 8 and 4 numerals and the CNS logo (which isn’t proprietary, of course)

I had already seen the watch featured on another blog and thought it dreadful without any knowledge of any Anonimo connection. The idea that Steam Punk, essentially a vernacular which has looked both hackneyed, dated and tasteless for some time would be used to launch a new line was a puzzle to me (and an inevitable dead end in terms of broad appeal).

Regarding a valid Anonimo connection or not, I think the only way to view it (re this thread) is to pose it an actual Anonimo piece. If this had of been the case I think I would have been bitterly disappointed in Anonimo.
    Per the story in Watchtime: "Under the direction of Antonio Ambuchi, a former Anonimo executive who heads the research and development for Visconti's watch division..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DDD3333 likes this.

jeremydw...

Thanks for the note regarding the Watchtime article with Antonio Ambuchi being mentioned (he was not in the above linked article). He and his family ran the case making company regarding Anonimo and Panerai.

Unfortunately changes none of my initial thoughts regarding the design (which I had reach independent to the article). Furthermore when I linked through to the Visconti website to see their other ‘bridge’ design, I remembered I had seen their classic watch before. I’ll be polite and just say that really did not impress me either.

I won’t labor over the idea yet again but I think there is always room for a minimal, well-designed dive watch with certain amount of individuality (this core idea should have been used to re-launch the newer Anonimo) but Steam Punk? Additionally you have (as others on the article thread said) the high price point with the Soprod movement…

This said, I am happy to know some the ex-Anonimo guys are gainfully employed. Can we presume they are also still producing cases for the new Anonimo? (It is implied on the website).

Finally, with no news as far as I know regarding the new Anonimo…is it simply dying a slow death?
    jeremydw likes this.

Not my style but still interesting.

What I find promising is that the case maker is able to make seemingly cutting edge innovations to cases still.

That's a prototype so most likely they're just flexing their muscles. Production models would probably be more sedate.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Abominable--if anything, it looks more like something the new owners of Anonimo might put out--nothing whatsoever to rejoice about in that "design."
    jeremydw likes this.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by DDD3333 View Post
    jeremydw...

Thanks for the note regarding the Watchtime article with Antonio Ambuchi being mentioned (he was not in the above linked article). He and his family ran the case making company regarding Anonimo and Panerai.
    Well that's interesting ...if I'm not mistaken (corrections welcome by the scholars) the Bucci family with Alessandro Lari as the head of Anonimo's case manufacturing and also previously with Panerai until they left Italy, were the case players in Firenze for Panerai/Anonimo????
    As far as the Visconti been ugly/abominable/hideous etc. etc. etc.. is kind of hard to pass judgement on a prototype ...that been said we have to wait and see,when the finished product is finally unveil....even then, aesthetics is a personal thing at the end of the day, some will like it and I'm sure some will not...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
    As far as the Visconti been ugly/abominable/hideous etc. etc. etc.. is kind of hard to pass judgement on a prototype ...that been said we have to wait and see,when the finished product is finally unveil....even then, aesthetics is a personal thing at the end of the day, some will like it and I'm sure some will not...
    I beg to differ. First, our opinions regarding the prototype were specifically requested in this thread--thus, not to offer any, charitable or otherwise, would have been off-point. And, that is one of the points of a prototype--to garner opinions from the assembled masses--and based on that early feedback, make adjustments as necessary. To, me, the prototype combines the worst of all things Anonimo, past and present combined, and suggests nothing positive for the future of the present incarnation of the brand.
    jeremydw likes this.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information