Is it me or.........
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is it me or.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is it me or.........

I'm a first time poster on the Anonimo forum, in fact I really didn't start reading this forum until I got my first Anonimo......a Sailor Diver...and I love it. I didn't think I would as much as I do.
    Anyways, as I've read through some of the threads here, I couldn't help but notice a lot of Anonimo owners are also Ball Watch Co. owners.
    Funny enough, I have my first Ball watch (1st Gen 43mm) on the way as well.
    Am I just imagining things or is this the case??

Re: Is it me or.........

Nope, It's not you! A lot of Anonimo owners own, or have dabbled with the other brand you speak of.....

I prefer Anonimo because it is so much easier to say "I love Anonimo!", than to say "I love Ball's!".

Quote Originally Posted by JayVeeez View Post
    Nope, It's not you! A lot of Anonimo owners own, or have dabbled with the other brand you speak of.....

I prefer Anonimo because it is so much easier to say "I love Anonimo!", than to say "I love Ball's!".

HAHAHA!!

Understood. That's why I referred to it as Ball Watch Co. or Ball Watch. I don't know if I could ever own 2 of the other brand at the same time 'cause then I'd have a pair.....
    It was just a silly observation on my part.

On a serious note; I must say that I am impressed with Anonimo. I've always know about the brand and seen the models but never thought much more about it. Now that I've decided to give one a try, I'm more impressed then I ever thought I would be. Funny thing, That's a common comment made about Ball watches as well.......worth 3X the price......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, Ball Watch Co. makes some awesome watches and God knows I miss my old Aviator to pieces.

I think the Anonimo's are more fun to collect though. Ball has a huge variety as well, bit I like the Anoniko ideology a bit more. If I must do Tritium, it's Ball all day!

Quote Originally Posted by JayVeeez View Post
    Yes, Ball Watch Co. makes some awesome watches and God knows I miss my old Aviator to pieces.

I think the Anonimo's are more fun to collect though. Ball has a huge variety as well, bit I like the Anoniko ideology a bit more. If I must do Tritium, it's Ball all day!
    I do have to agree, that the Anonimo idealogy is better. I really like the idea that the cases are forged from one block of steel as well as the fact that just as Panerai pulled out fo Italy, Anonimo was there to employ the ex-PAM watchmakers.

I used to love Ball watches, and have bought and sold at least 43 of them, so have a lot of experience with them. On the up side, there are of course the tritium tubes, general good quality of manufacture, accuracy, some diversity in their offerings, and so forth. On the bad side is the international warranty which is only a regional warranty at best (and non-transferable), lack of consistency in strap widths, and case structures (so one 20mm bracelet for one Ball may not fit another 20mm Ball, for example), and an increasing tendency towards gaudiness and glitter rather than clarity and simplicity--i.e. Ball seems to chugging rather rapidly away from their simple working man railroad roots. In the end, I found at least one problem/flaw/oddity/drawback with every Ball I have ever owned, and thus have cut my herd to one, which I use for the sole purpose of being able to tell time when I go to the movies. Otherwise, the simplicity, ruggedness, clarity, style and everything else that makes a good watch can be found in a great many Anonimo watches, where there are several that I have found perfect in every way, and as a result, my allegiances have switched over almost completely to Anonimo, with a couple of others thrown in, including a token Ball.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Interesting observation. I own several anonimos and a ball myself. My hypothesis: both brands are a bit off the beaten track, have an aesthetic that tends toward rugged but stylish, and they are comparably priced (particularly in the used market ).
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I used to love Ball watches, and have bought and sold at least 43 of them, so have a lot of experience with them. On the up side, there are of course the tritium tubes, general good quality of manufacture, accuracy, some diversity in their offerings, and so forth. On the bad side is the international warranty which is only a regional warranty at best (and non-transferable), lack of consistency in strap widths, and case structures (so one 20mm bracelet for one Ball may not fit another 20mm Ball, for example), and an increasing tendency towards gaudiness and glitter rather than clarity and simplicity--i.e. Ball seems to chugging rather rapidly away from their simple working man railroad roots. In the end, I found at least one problem/flaw/oddity/drawback with every Ball I have ever owned, and thus have cut my herd to one, which I use for the sole purpose of being able to tell time when I go to the movies. Otherwise, the simplicity, ruggedness, clarity, style and everything else that makes a good watch can be found in a great many Anonimo watches, where there are several that I have found perfect in every way, and as a result, my allegiances have switched over almost completely to Anonimo, with a couple of others thrown in, including a token Ball.
    I agree with your observations as well. I really only have 2 Ball watches on my list. The first being a 1st gen Fireman 43mm which is on it's way and a Mad Cow. Both are relatively simple when compared to other models.
    Anonimo has grown on me over time. It wasn't one of those that jumped right out as a "have to have". Now though, thet're a must have. My next one in my sights is a Chronoscopio.

Quote Originally Posted by ecunited View Post
    Interesting observation. I own several anonimos and a ball myself. My hypothesis: both brands are a bit off the beaten track, have an aesthetic that tends toward rugged but stylish, and they are comparably priced (particularly in the used market ).
    I think you're right. Ball is not your typical Swiss brand and Anonimo has a simple classic look and is neither Swiss or German orgin but it's still rich with indirect and direct heritage.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Ironically I moderate for both here and while I agree with somethings Peter has said about Ball I feel the opposite is true about where the line is going. In 2011 most of the new watches in the line are more focused and polished (except maybe the Freefall). Prior to this the models were all over the place. We see the coming demise of the crown guard protector on the EHC line when the Deep Quest comes out in October. We have a return of texture to the dials and the line is offering options on the look (Ball classic if you will with the tube numbers and high end with the applied markers shrouding the tubes). Each year the watches have improved based on customer input. So I'm very excited with Balls new offerings and would exchange any older model I have for the newer model.

Anonimo for 2011 seem to fit more in Peters description of Ball. This years line is a lot of dial engineering and the one watch that has me excited no one seems to confirm it exists. This being the bronze Notturnale that Nelson linked the photo here with the thin honey brown crocodile strap in the Anonimo booth back in March. I liked the reduced line that Anonimo brought out last year and I personally liked the extra printing on the dials proclaiming the origin. I do not like the green dials and the carbon fiber dials this year and the stealth look was a bad idea that needs to just go away. Anonimos have always been a more in your face in the dial coloring and finishing. It is part of what makes them cool. Last year we had the Drass and Gold Notturnale which I loved. Probably one of the best looking watches made IMO is the bronze Nautilo with the champgne dial. Maybe the bronze Notturnale is the surprise for 2011 that could correct a rather soft 2011.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information