Oouch ! sapphire crystal scratched on my Sailor Diver !

Thread: Oouch ! sapphire crystal scratched on my Sailor Diver !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oouch ! sapphire crystal scratched on my Sailor Diver !

Guys,
    Help needed! I just had a hairline scratch on my sapphire crystal !
    well, one might say.. scratch proof but its not, depends on what hits it! for my case.. i dunno! i hit too many stuff latetly.

I saw couple of the DIY using diamond paste thingy. Any more options which i can choose from besides living witht the scratch or change the glass ?

thanks in advance.

rgds,
    alex

Re: Oouch ! sapphire crystal scratched on my Sailor Diver !

Mate, I've had that happen to my MM20 previously so I know your grief. Sapphire glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof sadly.

Mine was done in my a lady walking by and her engagement ring (big ass rock) smacked hard into the crystal and I got the gauge.

That said, I did order the diamond paste from the net and used it and it went away easily. I've still got a bunch of the paste left over and if you were in Singapore I'd just pass it to you.

Basically if you get a set, just masking tape the watch except the area you want to polish, make it as small an area as possible, then just with some elbow grease, within 10mins it'll be out if its just at the surface.
    Current COLLECTION
    Anonimo Dino Zei Nautilo Bronze | Breitling Avenger Skyland | Helson Sharkmaster | Linde Werdelin "The One" 2.6 | Longines Master Collection MoonPhase | IWC Aquatimer Chrono Cousteau Diver 2006 | Longines Classic Dress | MontBlanc Sports | Omega Speedmaster Pro 3572.50 | Omega Seamaster (Vintage) | RXW MM20 | Seiko Orange Monster |

Sadly gone
    Anonimo Hi-Dive OxPro hybrid | Anonimo Professionale Mod.6003 | Bell&Ross BR02 | Cartier Santos 100XL | IWC Aquatimer 3179-03 | Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Chronograph | Linde Werdelin Hard Black II | Magratte Nautico | Magratte Regattare Bronze | Rolex Submariner Z-series | TAG Heuer Link Chrono | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.51 | Panerai PAM111I | Seiko Monster Yobokies modded | Sinn U1 | Sinn U1 | Sinn U1 Tempus | Seiko FFF |

If it is just a light scratch, try using baby powder with a polishing cloth. It works for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sin22,
    thanks for the info! btw, what micron was used in your polishing?

kimsoon,
    babypowder with a polishing cloth on sapphire crystal? need to try that ..
    btw, the polishing cloth you're referring is something like cape cod thingy ?

again, thanks for all the advice guys!

fleaman, I got both the 0.5 and 1.5micron tubes. Found the 0.5mn was more than sufficient
    Current COLLECTION
    Anonimo Dino Zei Nautilo Bronze | Breitling Avenger Skyland | Helson Sharkmaster | Linde Werdelin "The One" 2.6 | Longines Master Collection MoonPhase | IWC Aquatimer Chrono Cousteau Diver 2006 | Longines Classic Dress | MontBlanc Sports | Omega Speedmaster Pro 3572.50 | Omega Seamaster (Vintage) | RXW MM20 | Seiko Orange Monster |

Sadly gone
    Anonimo Hi-Dive OxPro hybrid | Anonimo Professionale Mod.6003 | Bell&Ross BR02 | Cartier Santos 100XL | IWC Aquatimer 3179-03 | Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Chronograph | Linde Werdelin Hard Black II | Magratte Nautico | Magratte Regattare Bronze | Rolex Submariner Z-series | TAG Heuer Link Chrono | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.51 | Panerai PAM111I | Seiko Monster Yobokies modded | Sinn U1 | Sinn U1 | Sinn U1 Tempus | Seiko FFF |

Yes, cape cod.

I can understand the frustration. I was so careless to put my Rolex put in my pocket with car key some time ago. But, luckily, I managed to remove the light scratches left on my Rolex sapphire using this method.

Hope it works for yours too.

Sin22,
    thanks. I'll look out for the 0.5 micron !

Kimsoon,
    I'm more careful with my rolex now since i got the sailor diver scratched ! ;p

will try that easy method as well !

Wow... it is very difficult to scratch a Sapphire crystal. My experience is that the scratch will not come out with professional equipment. Usually the crystal needs to be replaced. Let me know how the baby powder works as that is a new one to me... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abouttime View Post
    Wow... it is very difficult to scratch a Sapphire crystal. My experience is that the scratch will not come out with professional equipment. Usually the crystal needs to be replaced. Let me know how the baby powder works as that is a new one to me... thanks
    Steve, I've used the diamond paste on 3 seperate sapphire crystals, 2 of my own, 1 of a friend's and its worked, I've even passed the paste around in Singapore to other mates and all have reported success for Sapphire. for Mineral crystal though it was hit and miss and normal polish worked.
    Current COLLECTION

Sadly gone

Fabian, may I ask what brand of diamond paste is it and where can I get it ?

Lex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information