Opinions and thoughts on two Anonimos
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Opinions and thoughts on two Anonimos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

As title states, I'm looking for input on two steel Anonimo models.
    The brand has only very recently hit my radar, for some reason – since I'm not a Panerai person at all.

The models being pondered over are:
    1) Dino Zei Narvalo (automatic)
    2) Militare Power Reserve (manual)

The former conjures up images of the Perrelet A1002, which I love, but let pass at a very good price in favour of the Citizen Signature Grand Classic – primarily because of being more a bracelet person than a leather strap one (which was too small anyway), and partly due to 40mm diameter.
    Now that I'm slightly more au fait with custom strap options, I can accept the likes of these two.

So, what should I know about either, that would convince me they're worth seriously considering?

Re: Opinions and thoughts on two Anonimos

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    1) Dino Zei Narvalo (automatic)
    2) Militare Power Reserve (manual)
    So, what should I know about either, that would convince me they're worth seriously considering?
    After having owned at least 15 different Nimos over the last 5 or 6 years, and given the current very poor situation (poor resale value, poor/nonexistent service) of "historic" Nimos, the best answer to your question is "nothing"--your money is more wisely spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by timefleas; May 19th, 2015 at 02:29.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Follow your eye and buy what you like, if it were me, I would have to be getting a great deal or I would be looking elsewhere...
    Last edited by mpalmer; May 19th, 2015 at 05:43.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ditto. Unless it's a fire sale price, save you money for another brand.

From a practical standpoint the Dino would probably be a safer bet. Reason being that an auto is going to get less wear and tear than a manual and the Militare has a crown that will be its down fall when it fails. For you will not be able to find a replacement easily.
    Cheers.
    use it!

Run away if any of these cost more than $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
    Run away if any of these cost more than $1k.
    Expected response from someone from Switzerland for a watch made in Italy. Take a look on Ebay or sales of Anonimos on different sites with Google shopping. Prices are going up and you won't find any selling for under $1,700 and some more desirable models selling for $4K plus. They are excellent watches. I am wearing one now, a Millemetri with the off-white face, while my PAM 104 is being overhauled. My Rolex Daytona and my JLC Platinum Reverso Reserve de Marche are both sitting in boxes, because I prefer the Anonimo. Outside of the unusual crown setup of the Militare, you won't have any problems getting your Anonimo serviced, the movements are well known and parts are readily available.

In this instance, I wouldn't buy either. The Narvalo has a big-date complication specifically made for that watch. If that gets jacked up you could be in trouble. But, next to the manual wind Militare it's still probably a better watch. As mentioned the manual wind will no doubt get way more wear and tear and the Militare model is known for crown issues.

If you want a Dino Zei I'd try to track down a nice Nautilo or Glauco, Cronoscopio MKII, or perhaps a Polluce of some sort. I would say most would be more serviceable in the future than the models you mentioned. People who are serious collectors will still pay a fair amount for a fine example of a popular and/or flagship model such as a San Marco, Nautilo, Glauco, or Professionale. But by all means don't pay anything close to preposterous old pricing.
    phunky_monkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by montelatici View Post
    Expected response from someone from Switzerland for a watch made in Italy. Take a look on Ebay or sales of Anonimos on different sites with Google shopping. Prices are going up and you won't find any selling for under $1,700 and some more desirable models selling for $4K plus. They are excellent watches. I am wearing one now, a Millemetri with the off-white face, while my PAM 104 is being overhauled. My Rolex Daytona and my JLC Platinum Reverso Reserve de Marche are both sitting in boxes, because I prefer the Anonimo. Outside of the unusual crown setup of the Militare, you won't have any problems getting your Anonimo serviced, the movements are well known and parts are readily available.
    If I were you, I'd try not to put people In your predefined boxes, and prob learn a few things before accusing me of being biased just because my location says "Geneva". Look at my previous threads and see for yourself, please. I love the old Anonimo, have owned many and still have a few watches - not just one - left in my collection and very passionate about the brand. I also have quite a few other watches but don't think name dropping of precious metals make you any more of an expert on anything compared to me, really. My advise to the OP is purely based in the current situation, parts supply and the fact no decent watchmaker will touch your Anonimo with a barge stick if there is a problem with either crown, crown tube, crystal, or trivial things such as lug screw that -alas - you will not find anywhere nowadays. Fool and his money part easily, but I advice not to flush cash into the toilet if you've worked hard for it. You, on the other hand, can do whatever you want and have any opinions you'd like, it's a free forum and people love to hear educated and well argumented opinions, and I personally welcome it, as long as you somehow manage to avoid insulting members of Anonimo community with your stereotypical thinking.
    Last edited by korneevy; May 27th, 2015 at 00:33.

Where did I insult you? I would expect such a response from someone from Geneva. It was not "name dropping", it was demonstrating that I prefer my Anonimo to other very desirable watches I have in my collection. As far as watchmakers repairing them, I have more trouble with my Panerai. MY local shop that will repair Rolexes, JLCs, Pateks etc., sent my PAM 104 to Richmont in Texas because he couldn't get parts for it. This same shop overhauls and repairs my 1960s Lanco and an Omega from the 50s I own. I seriously doubt that "no decent watchmaker will touch your Anonimo with a barge stick". So, you can propagate any information you want, if I feel that it is bogus, I will state as much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information