Possible Glauco Purchase - Advice needed
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whywatch9

Thread: Possible Glauco Purchase - Advice needed

Possible Glauco Purchase - Advice needed

Hello,

I've been a member for a number of years. I mostly use the site to increase my knowledge and haven't ever posted as I don't really have the knowledge necessary to assist others. Since a young age (45 now) I've always been fascinated with watches. I don't have anything remarkable as far as my collection goes. Three Tags and a Movado dress watch (almost thirty years old now). I'd like to make the jump to my first automatic and I'm quite enamored with the Glauco. It is the bronze/black case with the white dial (11006 Limited Edition, I believe). There are a number of dealers/sites listing the watch at around 55% off retail. Given the state of flux at Anonimo what would the general consensus be on making the purchase? Most of the posts I've read indicate they are overpriced and at least 50% off retail is the starting point for purchasing one. Given the change at Anonimo would this increase or decrease the purchase price of the piece? I'm not looking at this as an investment, just want to make sure I don't overpay. I won't be flipping it and unless it is completely unreliable I will hang on to it for the rest of my life. I realize repairs are a big question mark. Thank you for any input you might have.
    Last edited by Budget1; May 13th, 2013 at 20:34.

Re: Possible Glauco Purchase - Advice needed

I don't know if ANONIMO will increase/or decrease their price..Whatever they do they are heading towards difficult times....About the "historic" ANONIMO's...specifically the Glauco since you are looking at that one. Compared to other watches at 50% off I don't think they are overpriced but I must admit, you may find them cheaper in the used market. Used these take a serios hit. I still find it quite incredible that so few people really know how wonderful these watches are.....I own to Bronze Glauco's and they are the bomb. Fantastic solid case finishing. The bezel is solid also (not hollow from the inside like the flimsy Panerai bezels)..To damage the case you must run over it with a train..I also don't worry about the movement at all as any watchmaker can service it if needed.
    Best regards,
    Guillermo

Current NIMO's

ANONIMO GLAUCO BRONZE /DRASS (bezel), black dial
    ANONIMO GLAUCO II BRONZE, black guilloche dial

others

Seiko Marinemaster MM300 SBDX001
    Seiko Marinemaster MM600 SBDB001

These are logical questions asked in a sensible way knowing that we have member(s) who occasionally visits the forum but consistently criticizes some die hard anonimo fans as bargain hunters and flippers that eventually caused the demise of the brand. but I must ask - if you don't like to overpay for your house or your car, why overpay for your watch?

As far as I know the new anonimo is not giving any direct answer in relation to service and honoring warranty on the historic anonimos, so I would suggest to contact the seller to find out how are they going to cover the watch in case of malfunctions or DOA. Unlike THE member suggested in the other threads, you don't always get factory"fresh" watch from ADs nor do you always get old and defective watches from grey market. There are many reputable grey market sellers, whose business model is based on selling genuine products at a discount without factory warranty, got nothing but praises in any community. They are in the business for a long run, so they will be happy to sell the nimo you are looking for and back it up with their services. Although, I have never dealt with such entities at the moment, I wouldn't deny their credibility. If you can find an AD who still have the Glauco in stock, you can definitely purchase from them, but I doubt it's going to be "fresh" and warranty covered tho.

In terms of parts - I will say if they can restore watches that were made 70 years ago, they can restore the Glauco without problems. Establish a good solid connection with a reputable watchmaker is your best bet. But things might get more and more expansive. Making friends here will definitely help too!

Now about the price - from the dino zei book which is supposed to be the most comprehensive catalog on all the nimos ever created until the book was published(? correct me if i'm wrong), the bronze ox-pro combo was not in it. The good thing about it is that the watch might be a newer model, and newer off the production line. The draw back is that this might be a never-meant-to-be made model. The company was in trouble for many years, they were finding ways to get rid of their inventories and parts. Many models that are never shown to the public like basel, their website, watch review sites, and AD websites. These models might be created from spare parts, given limited production number, and sold directly to the secondary market. Maybe not really a drawback, but the result of a questionable move. Some collectors are into prototypes and these kind of rare versions, but I, for one, will never purchase anything that's not in the catalog, unless the price is a steal. The retail for bronze glauco was around 7K, so 50% off is 3.5k. you are right on the ballpark, I think. I don't think you can get as much of a watch for 3.5k from any other brand, but you also get just as much of a possible headache. by the rationale, any thing south of 3.5k will probably be more justifiable for the possible headache. However, the seller still have to want to sell it to you. I have heard ADs wanted to get out and sold all of their inventory(nimos) for less than 30%, on average, of the MSRP to one guy. This should give you a pretty good idea of the market value right now, I hope.

There's nothing wrong with bargain hunting or flipping watches. The same member who criticized other for flipping, posted his own nimos for sale too. claiming that the only plausible way to support a brand is by buying MSRP from ADs is, like i said before, ABSURD.

Last year sept or oct, I was looking for a nimo. Called a reputable AD, one that even THE member confirmed in his other post to be genuine AD, and got a response saying that they don't have the watch in stock, but they can use their "network" to reach other ADs to see if others had one in stock. Two days later, they told me they found one, and it's the only one left in the states coming from east coast and it's going to cost me 5k. I reached out to the members here. Someone used his connection and got me that same watch for 3k. Yes, it came from east coast and from another known reputable dealer. That was before the showdown of the current fiasco, and the ADs were already moving their inventory aggressively. The AD who didn't have inventory was trying to capitalize on the stock that they didn't have by playing AD cards without up front investment, while the other AD would just sell his stock to a VIP client almost at cost. I hope I didn't post the same story before, but I just want to let people know it's your right to shop around! Because the dealer is not going to feel bad that he sold the product to you for 2k more. I hope no one is fooled by a voice saying when you pay MSRP to a dealer, you'll always get a fresher, better watch than from a bargain dealer. That's practically never the case. There's always pro and con when buying from difference sources. It's senseless to keep criticizing others when the logic isn't based on solid grounds. I just don't understand how can someone keeps referring to marketing 101, but fails to understand the simple supply and demand.

Budget1 - I don't know if this helps, but it certainly gave me a chance to vent! I wish you luck on finding the watch at a price you can't refuse. Historic nimos are worthwhile owning. They will always hold their base value among the enthusiasts. From that stand point, I think they worth every penny~
    Last edited by whywatch9; May 14th, 2013 at 02:09.
    sea0bass likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There may be a little more room for negotiation but definitely not overpriced at 50% off retail. For automatic watches you'll need to service the movement every 3-5 years and service cost could amount to several hundred dollars. The bronze will develop a patina over time which you may or may not like. You may want to order extra straps and/or deployant.

Thank you for taking the time to write back. A lot of really excellent points and information in the posts. I was already leaning toward the purchase and some of my concerns have been assuaged. I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on it. It won't be from an AD due to lack of availability. I found a non-AD that shows they have that particular model in stock. I'll verify today and if they still have it I'll start the negotiations. They are a reputable jeweler so I'm fairly comfortable buying from them even though they aren't an AD. I have family near the shop so I'll have them inspect it prior to purchase. Thanks again for taking the time to help out. If things work out I'll post back with details and some pics.
    Last edited by Budget1; May 14th, 2013 at 15:52.

Good luck. I can't recall exactly but I believe the Glauco is about 46mm. If you are not used to wear watch of that size you may want to try on some of the 46mm or larger watch at a store to make sure you are comfortable with the size.

I've tried a few and I'm all good with it. 8" wrist so it shouldn't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    Good luck. I can't recall exactly but I believe the Glauco is about 46mm. If you are not used to wear watch of that size you may want to try on some of the 46mm or larger watch at a store to make sure you are comfortable with the size.
    Not 46mm, more like 43,6mm without crown.....
    Best regards,
    Guillermo

Current NIMO's

ANONIMO GLAUCO BRONZE /DRASS (bezel), black dial
    ANONIMO GLAUCO II BRONZE, black guilloche dial

others

Seiko Marinemaster MM300 SBDX001
    Seiko Marinemaster MM600 SBDB001

Quote Originally Posted by Budget1 View Post
    I've tried a few and I'm all good with it. 8" wrist so it shouldn't be too bad.
    in this case, nimo is perfect for you!

Thread Information