Steel on Steel: Anonimo Bracelets on a couple of Limited Editions--a mini review
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Steel on Steel: Anonimo Bracelets on a couple of Limited Editions--a mini review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steel on Steel: Anonimo Bracelets on a couple of Limited Editions--a mini review

This is a companion thread of sorts to "Bronze on Bronze" where I introduced one half of my Nimo collection, those with bronze cases, and the straps and bronze buckles I put on them. In this thread, I introduce the other half of my collection, a Limited Edition Yellow Dial Professionale (250 total produced), but even rarer than that, this is one of the 50 made for the CNS folks themselves--a very rare bird indeed, outside of the CNS ranks (and you can't get much further than me, as I barely swim, much less dive). The other is a Deep Blue Millemetri, one of 200 produced--it boasts the larger crown and the same helium valve as the Polluce line, and a medium blue dial.

Those are the watches, now, onto the bracelets.

I have both the old version (no micro adjustment, just a butterfly clasp) and the new one (micro-adjustment). The bracelets, old and new, are identical except for the clasps, and the size of the screw used in the links. The new bracelet uses longer threads than the old version, so you can't use an old version screw on a new version link.

The link and screw as a unit, however, can be switched from one bracelet to the other--exact same size and fit. This means that you can also switch out the butterfly clasp and replace it with the micro-adjustment clasp--the switch is seamless, though of course unfortunately, Anonimo does not sell the clasps separately as far as I know.

There is also the issue of the end piece which fits the bracelet to the lugs--the Professionale has an intrusive screw on either side, and the case is larger (taller),so requires a special end-piece. When you buy the most expensive bracelet you are basically paying for a slight cutout one side of each end piece, but otherwise you are getting the same bracelet as you would get for a few hundred less when you get the Millemetri or Polluce version.

I first owned the old version, and as others have stated here, it is a great looking and feeling bracelet. However, the old version only allows adjustment by adding or removing individual links, each about 10mm wide, or about 3/8 inch. For me, this was right on the border--with one link out, it was a snug fit, and with one link in, it was too loose. I wore it with the snug fit, but didn't like it so much in hot weather or after exercise. I looked forward to the new version, with the "micro-adjustment" clasp. The designers really took the idea of "micro" to heart--there in fact is just ONE single adjustment possible, and that adjustment allows a 3mm (about 3/32 of an inch!) addition or subtraction--that's it! (Of course you can still add or subtract a whole link.) As the photos below show, however, there is plenty of room to have added a second set of holes to allow for another micro-adjustment of at least 3mm, and still leave plenty of space for the end-piece to fit neatly in the clasp.

To me, this is unbelievably short-sighted engineering--they recognize that their first attempt was less than perfect, and their remedy is to introduce a new clasp system that only allows for a single 3mm adjustment--incredible! And, as luck would have it, the new clasp is a bit larger but when fit into the bracelet, for me, the watch on the outer adjustment but one less link is too snug, while on the inner adjustment, with one link added, it is too loose.... In the wrist shots, both bracelets are in the "snug" mode. Oh well--I look forward to version three! I am sure for the majority of the population, both bracelets fit just fine, and for all of you, hopefully there is some useful information here, such as link and clasp (but not screw) interchangeability, and the goods and bads of both bracelets.

Last edited by timefleas; May 5th, 2011 at 16:55.
    fidelio, seanuk, P019240 and 1 others like this.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Re: Steel on Steel: Anonimo Bracelets on a couple of Limited Editions--a mini review

Great review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and great pictures. Nice to see your full collection has been reviewed. So, what's next?
    Cheers,
    Rob

Keepers (for now):

PAM240J
    PAM285K

PAM305O
    PAM321L

PAM359M

Omega PO (2200.50.00)
    Omega PO (232.32.46.21.01.005)

Omega PO GoodPlanet GMT (232.30.44.22.03.001)
    Omega X-33 Gen2
    Omega Railmaster XXL

Sinn U2
    Sinn 857 UTC
    JeanRichard Terrascope (black)
    Anonimo Marlin (#11/198)
    Oris Aquis Ti
    Linde Werdelin The One (#10/88 black)
    Kobold LSD
    Seiko SBDD003
    Heroic18 M9600 LE Bronze

Aerospace Advantage E79362 (blue)
    Bathys Benthic Ti (black)
    Casio ProTrek (PAG-240)
    Suunto Core (regular red)
    Suunto Core (regular black)
    Suunto X10M
    Suunto X-Lander (Military)

Re: Steel on Steel: Anonimo Bracelets on a couple of Limited Editions--a mini review

Great review! I really appreciate the bracelet detail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anonimo bracelet really super grade

Beautiful! Can't wait for mine to arrive.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Rob @ Toppers will drill a third hole for you if you need it.
    Because nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational poster about being a winner.

Hear that, Rob! (I got the bracelet (actually both) from him originally--in fact the newer version had lug ends which were made for a chronoscopio or some such, and his magical watch repairer extraordinaire drilled the end pieces appropriately--had I known before hand that there was just one set of holes for adjustment, I would have definitely asked for another set to be added--and think every bracelet should come as such). As for next on my list (Willith) I like the Marlin, bronze or steel, but at 46.5mm think my wrist might not be able to pull it off--I had to give up my DZ Nautilo because it jabbed my protruding wrist bone, while my Professionale does not. Really would like a black dial Professionale RM to give my yellow dial Pro some "symbiotic" company, and then a gray dial Millemetri to add one more color to the family.
    Peter
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Great review, thanks for sharing.

It's a real shame that the micro-adjustment is so limited on it though. I use micro adjustment a lot as my wrist expands and contracts a fair amount, and for tis sort of money you'd want that area covered off. Oh well, I have no doubt that I'll still try it out one day regardless. A Deep Blue Polluce or MKII Cronoscopio on bracelet would be an ideal daily wear for me... perhaps once the wallet recovers from the last few purchases!

Have you tried swapping the bracelets from one to the other to see if the difference in lug positioning makes an appreciable difference?
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

SBD

What a conundrum! Both watches look amazing on the bracelets...and I mean really amazing! But what a disappointment about the clasp. I can see why one would "roll the dice" on the bracelet in hopes of a lucky fit because it sure does look nice!

Quote Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
    Have you tried swapping the bracelets from one to the other to see if the difference in lug positioning makes an appreciable difference?
    Yes, I tried all possible variations--that is how I came across the fact of the different screw lengths, got a few temporarily mixed up--the 3mm option just doesn't give enough leeway, no matter what.
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information