strap query

Thread: strap query

strap query

I'm thinking of changing the oem Kodiak on my Polluce Magnum. Are there aftermarket manufacturers that offer relatively thick (4mm+) instock/premade straps that can readily be fitted onto Anonimos? Thanks in advance.

Re: strap query

I'd probably look at Strap Culture or Ted Su if you just want something that's high end, but readily available. Your Anonimo buckle will probably have to go with the old strap though, since most straps don't taper to 20mm.
    Last edited by midshipman01; February 20th, 2011 at 10:45.
    Dear WIS, I have seen your watch addiction affect your life negatively in the following ways...

Virtually all special order, hand made straps with a 4mm thickness will fit the Polluce. I have used Toshi, Gunny, Steinhart, Bas and Lokes and a few others with great success.
    Less is More...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One thing to keep in mind when getting a new strap, especially a thick one is that the lug clearance on Anonimo is very tight. Look at your Kodiak strap and how thin it is at the holes, if you get much thicker than that you will have a lot of frustration and sore fingers getting the screws back in the watch. Believe me I've spent hours changing straps on my Anonimo and that was just for 2 straps. Seriously though, if you get a custom strap see if they can leave the leather thin at the lug area.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Keepers (for now):

PAM240J
    PAM285K

PAM305O
    PAM321L

PAM359M

Omega PO (2200.50.00)
    Omega PO (232.32.46.21.01.005)

Omega PO GoodPlanet GMT (232.30.44.22.03.001)
    Omega X-33 Gen2
    Omega Railmaster XXL

Sinn U2
    Sinn 857 UTC
    JeanRichard Terrascope (black)
    Anonimo Marlin (#11/198)
    Oris Aquis Ti
    Linde Werdelin The One (#10/88 black)
    Kobold LSD
    Seiko SBDD003
    Heroic18 M9600 LE Bronze

Aerospace Advantage E79362 (blue)
    Bathys Benthic Ti (black)
    Casio ProTrek (PAG-240)
    Suunto Core (regular red)
    Suunto Core (regular black)
    Suunto X10M
    Suunto X-Lander (Military)

Has anyone tried Heroic 18, Strap Culture or Kain Heritage in particular?

I would not recomend changing it.The oem Kodiak strap is the best quality leather in the world today.The only one that can be totaly salt water proof for more then 24 hours.Besides that the quality is second to none.I have searched to find such a strap for my panerai as well.Nothing is better then a kodiak.I Have tried almost every make out there.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Vintager Straps warrants for anything forever. I found these back in my Pam days and Micah offers a nice selection of colors and gives advice on which are the best for extended water periods. His straps are very soft. I've have a few that are 6-7 years old and they are still like new and have dove 60-70 dives in their life. I've had rubber straps not hold up as well. My Kodiaks are in the boxes and my Anonimos rotate through a group of Vintagers. They are expensive though. I have over 200 straps from about 50 different companies that I have collected over the years. I personally would rate Kodiaks in the higher side of the 50 but just outside the top ten.

Here is a vintager on my Magnum (I've had this diving on this watch 6 times last year):

For performance verses cost I would suggest a Maratec Elite trufit for your Anonimo. At $20 a strap it will hold up to salt water for a long time, is pliable and for the cost of most leather straps you could have a few or all of the stitching colors.

If you truely are going to dive a Isofrane or a Hirsch Elite are available in many colors and each has a distinctive look and a great feel for a rubber strap.

I have several Toshi that I like but they are not waterproof. You can insert many other strap makers here if water proof is not a requirement.

Strapped For time has a nice stitched silicone (They are 24mm but compress nicely and don't look mashed). These are the same straps Zixen ships with it's watches and I find them great looking, comfortable and inexpensive (about $24).

Gasgasbones are also a great choice in both a nylon or other materials (More like a B&R nylon than a Zulu or Nato which I'm not a fan of) .

If you want something truly wild then look up Shane Delaurian. He'll build anything you want if you can pay for it.

The truth is there are thousands of choices and 22mm straps are pretty easy to find.
    Last edited by samanator; February 23rd, 2011 at 18:52.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Michael summed up everything very well. One of the few (only) areas that you can imprint your own personality on your watch is with the strap, and at 22mm, there are a lot of great choices. Begging to differ with the Kodiak advocate above, they are not necessarily the best straps out there, and they are costly to boot. Their claim to fame is that they can withstand water up to 24 hours--so if you dive, and you want leather, they may be a good choice. However, otherwise, though the Kodiaks are made by three members of a single family in Toscana, I believe, they look very much like factory pressed, factory stitched and factory finished leather straps (similar to those that can be hand for much much less on the bay)--well made to be sure, but without any real flare or identity. I strongly recommend an aftermarket strap, where choices are wide open--my favorites for quality and price are Toshi and Gunny.
    Peter
    Last edited by timefleas; February 23rd, 2011 at 03:16.
    Less is More...

Had great experiences with Greg Stevens and Toshi straps. The Greg Stevens Horween leather are water resistant/water proof (took one diving and it still looks great), so that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by run23 View Post
    Had great experiences with Greg Stevens and Toshi straps. The Greg Stevens Horween leather are water resistant/water proof (took one diving and it still looks great), so that's a plus.
    -------------
    Couldn't agree more...Stevens, Toshi or Micah(Vintager)....

Thread Information