Strap Question

Thread: Strap Question

Strap Question

kind gents, i am very pleased to announce that i received my TRU BLU this past wknd and it is fantastic. easily exceeded my already high expectations from the pictures and research i had done. these are very beautiful timepieces. i can't stop looking at it. my very observant wife noticed that i was staring at the watch longer than one normally would to identify the time, so she asked, 'What time is it?' my reply, 'I don't know dear. Doesn't your phone have a clock function?'.

anyway, my research may have been a bit flawed (my fault, of course) for i had thought the case diameter was 42mm. well, that was for the Cronoscopio. the TRU BLU was made with the Cronoscopio Mark II case. not that i'm complaining - but it is MASSIVE. and that is a good thing, because it is a watch with undeniable 'presence'.

i'm very thankful for the kind gentleman who sold me the watch. really cool guy. sent the watch to me 'for inspection' and i didn't even have to send a single penny. i just signed a piece of paper that says i will pay for the agreed upon amount 'upon inspection' and he shipped it overnight. it is refreshing to know that there are people out there like him. he definitely made a good impression on me and i couldn't be happier.

a quick question. i'm curious to know what suggestions any of you might have regarding sizing the kodiak strap. i have the strap at the smallest setting (small-ish wrist), and i would prefer it to be a little more snug, with no play, since the watch has quite the weight (my left arm feels lighter when i remove the watch, first time after three days ).

should i: a) punch a hole b) buy a different strap - Toshi looks good, but I'm drawn to GSD

thanks in advance.

Re: Strap Question

Yeah, 42 is more like the bezel diameter. I was a little confused with that as well until I took out my caliper and really measured it. I have a millemetri and it measures as 44.5, including the crown guard. Some sites still state that 42mm is the diameter but the catalog correctly states the diameter of the watches to include the crown guard or extension. Very confusing since 2mm is actually really big when it comes to watches. I have 42mm watches and this dwarfs them in comparison.

With regards to the strap, mine's a little on the loose side as well, but the watch stays put no matter what I do which is enough for me. Now, as to punching a hole, I wouldn't do it myself because I like to keep the watch at it's "stock" state as much as possible. What I would do instead is to buy a used kodiak to alter or get an alternative strap from the one's you mentioned. But, that's just me. If you have no problems altering the strap, then go ahead and punch a hole if it makes it more comfortable for you.
    Last edited by lorsban; April 12th, 2011 at 03:57.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

I would put the Kodiak in a box and save it unaltered in the event that somewhere down the road you find yourself needing to sell it--folks always want original equipment in the original state, whenever possible. There are tons of great custom strap makers--almost all of them capable of producing superior quality straps. Most allow you to choose leather type, number of holes and placement, tip shape, stitching style and color, thickness, and so forth. Some of the best that I have seen include Toshi, Gunny, Stone Creek, Steinhart, and Stevens. Each has a different finishing style--some more elegant and precise, others more rustic and unique. Prices vary significantly between makers, but quality of all listed is very high. I tend to shy away, however, from those who charge twice as much as the next guy to make the same thing.
    Less is More...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
    If you have no problems altering the strap, then go ahead and punch a hole if it makes it more comfortable for you.
    i have a blue and a black (with blue stitch) kodiak. if i were to punch a hole, it would be the black one as i'd like to keep the blue in 'stock' condition. but if i like the fit of the black after punching a hole, i would have the blue one done as well. thx for the feedback lorsban.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I would put the Kodiak in a box and save it unaltered in the event that somewhere down the road you find yourself needing to sell it--folks always want original equipment in the original state, whenever possible.
    very good point. although i think this one is going to stay with me for a very very long time (heck, maybe even pass it down). i don't think i would be selling it unless i really have to. i'll keep at least the blue one in 'stock' condition.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    There are tons of great custom strap makers--almost all of them capable of producing superior quality straps. Most allow you to choose leather type, number of holes and placement, tip shape, stitching style and color, thickness, and so forth. Some of the best that I have seen include Toshi, Gunny, Stone Creek, Steinhart, and Stevens. Each has a different finishing style--some more elegant and precise, others more rustic and unique. Prices vary significantly between makers, but quality of all listed is very high. I tend to shy away, however, from those who charge twice as much as the next guy to make the same thing.
    i think you may have convinced me to at least consider alternative strap makers. just curious, would you consider GSD at $175 USD for a strap to be charging too much? the quality of workmanship and finish appeals to me. just trying to get a feel for where the numbers should be.

thanks again for your suggestions. it is much appreciated.

If you feel it's worth it then go for it!

Toshi's come in about $115AUD or so at the moment (a guess based on the exchange rate) and I thinks that is good value so do a few comparisons and see. Realistically you're wearing quite a luxurious watch in general terms, so if you're happy to splash the cash on the band then why not??!
    Current:
    Anonimo Millemetri Japan LE Bronze | Anonimo Polluce | G-Shock DW-5600MS-1 | JLC Reverso Grande Ultra Thin | Linde Werdelin Oktopus Moon Gold | Linde Werdelin Tattoo | ochs und junior Moonphase | Rolex Day-Date 1803 | Sarpaneva K0 Seasons | Sinn 104 | Swiss Military Chrono 20012ST | Vintage Fortis Dress Watch

Thread Information