Weird Regulation Problem

Thread: Weird Regulation Problem

Weird Regulation Problem

Hey guys,

I just noticed recently that my watch runs fast when I'm not wearing it but dead-on-accurate when I am wearing it. Weird right? I mean, just last night, I took the watch out of the case and wind it and set the time. I also take out my Breitling Superocean and Ball watches and set them the same way. This morning, my other two watches are spot on but my Nimo was fast by about 3 minutes!!! I was shocked to say the least. So, I reset the time and I'm observing it now and it seems to be on track.

This isn't the first time I noticed it either. I just got another watch back from servicing so I use that watch more than the others but I take them (my other watches) out to wind them and set them once in a while and I do recall my Nimo being off by more than 2 minutes compared to my other watches. I just didn't think anything of it but this time I take note because I set it along with my other watches at the same time, the same way so there's no reason why it should be off by that much. Prior to this, I guess I didn't see any problem because I'd hardly taken it off my wrist up until a couple of weeks ago.

Question is, why is it fast off my wrist and ok when I'm wearing it? Shouldn't it behave the same or worse when I'm wearing it (because of all the moving around)?

I was worried that I'd have to have it regulated but since it's fine when I wear it, I guess I'll just keep wearing it! haha!

Any ideas?

regards,

lorsban
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Re: Weird Regulation Problem

Actually your "problem" is more the rule than the exception. Gravity's effect on the rotor, or balance wheel, plays a major role in how well the watch keeps time. When put through the 6 or 8 positions that COSC uses to find average and mean accuracy, there is often significant discrepancy between accuracy in one position versus accuracy in another position--see the list of possible positions below. When a watch is "regulated," the final setting is a kind of compromise position that is set to allow for gains and losses in various positions--thus, on the wrist it should perform best, if it was regulated correctly. However, when it is on a winder, or worse yet, just at rest in a fixed position, the accuracy will depend solely on the position it is placed in. Many winders offer rotation and counter rotation, while the watch itself is kept at a fixed angle, or plane, often about 45 degrees or so. As a result, the watch is not being put into the various positions that wrist time would produce, and because of the restricted movement, will sometimes reflect accuracy based on a fixed position, rather than an overall multi-position performance.

Watches are typically adjusted/tested to between 2 - 8 positions:
    1. Dial Up
    2. Crown Down
    3. Dial Down
    4. Crown Left
    5. Crown Up
    6. Crown Right
    7. Half-way position crown up
    8. Half-way position crown down
    Last edited by timefleas; August 6th, 2011 at 02:33.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

You may wish to let it run fully out of power and let sit a day. Over 2 minutes variance over night seems like more than just a storing position issue. My Magnum did this about 6 months ago and I was about to send it in but when I let it run out and sit and then wound and set it has been fine ever since. Sometimes the spring gets out of whack and letting it run out of power allows it to realign when it is free of tension.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    You may wish to let it run fully out of power and let sit a day. Over 2 minutes variance over night seems like more than just a storing position issue. My Magnum did this about 6 months ago and I was about to send it in but when I let it run out and sit and then wound and set it has been fine ever since. Sometimes the spring gets out of whack and letting it run out of power allows it to realign when it is free of tension.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's actually working ok now even off my wrist so I guess I just have to let it run out once in a while.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Thread Information