**SHOCKED** *Breaking News* ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Thread: **SHOCKED** *Breaking News* ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off topic **SHOCKED** *Breaking News* ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Just heard the local Cairns news and the legend Steve Erwin has died, hit through the heart by a Stingray off Pt. Douglas up the road from Cairns

Mate, Steve was a true legend if ever their was one, and my condolences go to his loving wife, children and family.

He will be missed by me and I'm sure many others.

He was also going to do a TV show here to remove a massive 70KG Python that is lodged in a roof of a beaches residence up here and proving impossible to remove.

Steve was made for the job

Guys, this is a bloody sad story for all who knew who he was, and I know he is also very poular and widely known in the US.

This has really shocked me as I am a SCUBA diver and surfer, but I know Steve, and he liked to go that little bit further.

I'm shocked

‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies, killed by stingray barb.

Updated: 1:10 a.m. ET Sept. 4, 2006

SYDNEY, Australia - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine accident off Australia’s northeast coast, local media reported on Monday.

Queensland state government sources quoted by Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Irwin, 44, whose television show “The Crocodile Hunter” won international acclaim and popularized the phrase “Crikey”, was believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred, the report said.

Sky Television also reported that Irwin had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm the reports.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.
    This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

*UPDATE*
    LEAD STORY: Monday, September 4 2006. 3:27pm AEST

Steve Irwin has died aged 44 (file photo). (Reuters) </SPAN>
    Steve Irwin dead

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin's body is being taken to the morgue in Cairns.

His family are believed to be flying from Brisbane to Cairns this afternoon.
    Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.
    In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

Nature lover

In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe?

Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.
    "You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."
    Last edited by OZZIE; September 4th, 2006 at 07:34.

Re: **SHOCKED** *Breaking News* ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

He seemed like a great guy and REALLY loved his work. My sympathies to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Unhappy Re: **SHOCKED** *Breaking News* ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Greetings All,
    I just read of this too Ozzie. I imediately thought of our own "Crocodile Hunter" here on WUS.

Very very sad news.

You know many people (not all) learn to care for other humans, by
    lessons learnt from careing for natures creatures as childhood pets; Steve Irwin was picking up the slack for a lot of us I think. He worked to preserve our (the Human Race) natural heritage and was
    famous the world over for it.

Rest In Peace Steve Irwin
    Last edited by Resinbandit; September 4th, 2006 at 07:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That is just sad, sad news . I really enjoyed watching his show, and I don't think there was ever a person who had as much passion for what he did than anyone else out there. A great loss for EVERYONE. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Rest in peace, Steve Irwin.
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my harddrive?

Considering the dangers in which he constantly placed himself and his family, I can't say I am "shocked" by this news at all. Regardless, it is indeed an awful tragedy. Too bad for his family.

It's sad to hear the Crocodile hunter dies. Even my students here are talking about it. Although constantly seeking dangerous situations of course nobody whishes him to die at such young age. My thoughts are with his wife, kids and friends.

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Hello all,

Just waking up here in the U.S. and heard the news. I also was shocked and saddened to learn of Mr. Irwin's death. Way too young to have passed. My thoughts also go out to his family and friends.

As a biologist who has worked in aquariums, and volunteered in zoos, I must admit I was generally a little concerned with how risky Mr. Irwin was in some of his activities. That being said his passion for the field was obvious and I feel Mr. Irwin's passing is a true loss for everyone.

While working at SeaWorld I was envenomed by a stingray once. I must say that the endotoxin of the speecies that stung me was quite strong. However, I was lucky in that I got hit in the forearm even though I could feel the poison work its way up my arm and into the chest, at which point it natutally became dangerous. Thankfully there was medical services nearby and I got prompt attention. I have also had very tall/big co-workers "go down" from an envenomation via stingrays. As such learning that Mr. Irwin died from a stingray envenomation directly to the heart, especially so far away from medical services, was not a surprise. Of course, risk of the barb breaking off in the wound site is something to be concerned of as well, especially since the barb can be serrated.

Nevertheless, as I said I feel his passing to be sad and quite a loss. I do wish the best for his family and his Australian Zoo.

Always,

Sam J.

EDIT: One thing I was not aware of, even with my own envenomation, was the risk of bacterial infection as this apparently can be very dangerous with a sting like this. Even more reason for pause with animals like these, thus knowing where they maybe found and how to avoid an "incident" with these beautiful, and when necessary defensive, animals...
    Last edited by santeh; September 4th, 2006 at 17:24.
    Ad astra per aspera

Thing is folks he died doing what he loved best, being at one with nature and looking death in the face.

He lived life to the full and enjoyed all that he did, I only hope that his death was quick and he did not suffer.

He did not choose his death, but he looked like the kind of guy who was not destined to die alone in his bed surrounded by nobody's looking to get a slice of his estate.

The stunts he pulled were awesome, the danger he brought into peoples houses made their lives richer for the experience.

He will be missed.

I was shocked when I heard the news this afternoon, as he is so good in catching wild animals.

His shows are one of my most favorite in Discovery Channel. Sure I will miss him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information