[ Buying advisory ] GA-1000 or G-9000?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By keithy
  • 1 Post By StupidNinja

Thread: [ Buying advisory ] GA-1000 or G-9000?

[ Buying advisory ] GA-1000 or G-9000?

Hi guys,

I'm buying my very first G-Shock and I'm confusing to decide which one to take: GA1000 or G9000. For G9000, I can buy a shiny new one on $100, while there is another deal with an used-but-likenew GA-1000 costs me $170. I'm deciding which one is to take, in terms of:
    - Reliability and robustness: it sounds idiot since every gshock were built to last, but I saw the testing video of G9000 on youtube and I just wonder if GA-1000 can be the same muscular.
    - Functions: should I pay $70 for the twin-sensor? Hybrid analog-digital sounds good to me since sometimes it's more intuitive
    - Size: I'm an asian geek, my wrist size is just 21 centimeters, too big watch makes me looks like ben10 =))
    - Comfortability: which one is better for daily use?

Could you please give me some advises? Thanks alot :)

Re: [ Buying advisory ] GA-1000 or G-9000?

After diving for a while in the forums, g9000 mudman seems to be more robust: no single failure. Ga-1000 is packed with a bunch of features and without tough solar, its battery drains so fast. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by huypn12 View Post
    Could you please give me some advises? Thanks alot :)
    Figure out which features you want most, then go from there.

You're right that G-Shocks are built tough, but the two models you're comparing are quite different.

Do you want an analog face? Do you really need a compass and a thermometer? Have you read about the fact that you'll need to take the watch off your wrist and let it adjust to the ambient temperature for several minutes before it will give an accurate temperature reading? Have you read the many reviews commenting that Mudman buttons are somewhat difficult to operate because of the mud-resistant button covers and/or are you willing to take the necessary steps to fix that issue?

Casio is notorious for underestimating their product's battery life, so the batteries should easily last longer than the two and three years that Casio estimates.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Fully agree with Mike!

I just want to add some suggestions:
    both watches have alternatives:
    If you like the GA-1000, dont miss out the GA-100 with less features but a lower price tag.
    Alternative to the Mudman you could also take a look at the GD-100/120 with easier to opreate buttons but a comparable wrist presence.

The batteries on full digitals last longer because of the lower power consumption.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Figure out which features you want most, then go from there.

You're right that G-Shocks are built tough, but the two models you're comparing are quite different.

Do you want an analog face? Do you really need a compass and a thermometer? Have you read about the fact that you'll need to take the watch off your wrist and let it adjust to the ambient temperature for several minutes before it will give an accurate temperature reading? Have you read the many reviews commenting that Mudman buttons are somewhat difficult to operate because of the mud-resistant button covers and/or are you willing to take the necessary steps to fix that issue?

Casio is notorious for underestimating their product's battery life, so the batteries should easily last longer than the two and three years that Casio estimates.
    huypn12 and GaryK30 like this.

You've picked two completely different styles of G-Shock!

It's really up to you preference-wise whether you want a digital display (G9000) or an analogue display (GA1000).

The GA1000 is larger, and heavier, and of course has the twin sensors.

I recently found a G9000 while hiking in New Zealand. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fou...2772706-4.html. I cleaned it up and put it on a Zulu band, but for reference, my wrist is around 7 inches (18cm).

My PRG270 is about the same size as the GA1000, and on my wrist with one of my Suunto Cores:

That should give you an idea of what the sizes look like on a small wrist.

You should decide if you want a digital display or analogue display. I think both the G9000 and GA1000 are quite tough (tougher specs than my Protreks).
    huypn12 likes this.

Thanks all for your suggestions, especially Keithy for your detailed reply.

After a while, I decided to go for GA-1000. There is no specific reasons. Both watches (G9000 & GA1000) are good. But GA1000 is slightly better for my eyes, orange/black tone is cool and it has luminating hands. I mean, it has shining analog hands, so in the darkness I don't need to touch around to push the light button. Rubber band is comfort and fit. Functions are just fine, I dont really need thermometer nor compass, but having them makes it more cool.

There are some drawbacks that the so-called "neon bright" does not light the lcd area, and the lcd digits are too small for me. But for approx. $170, I think its a good deal.

By the way you said your wrist size is 21cm?

21cm works out to be around 8.26"

I wouldn't consider that small compared to a lot of people here on the forum. Most are either 7" or less.

So, size-wise, the GA1000 would probably look better.

They are both, of course, nice watches.

Here's a side by side view of them.

Name:  g9000vsga1000.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  273.8 KB
    Last edited by StupidNinja; February 19th, 2016 at 10:36.
    Mike K likes this.

Thread Information