[G7900A-7] Dye question

Thread: [G7900A-7] Dye question

[G7900A-7] Dye question

Hello!
    My poor, old G7900A-7 is gradually becoming yellow after few years and since none cleaning methods seemed to work, I thought about dyeing it blue I have two questions:
    1) Won't the yellowing affect dyeing? It's not THAT yellowish yet, here's a photo:
    Name:  ETrbwm5.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  205.5 KB
    2) Which dye should I get? I've heard about Rit and Dylon but are they the only ones? I've seen other fabric dyes in my local shops but maybe they don't have something that Rit and Dylon have?

Thanks in advance!

Re: [G7900A-7] Dye question

I've dyed quite a few white bezels so far, but all of those have been relatively clean when I started.

That being said:

Quote Originally Posted by GregPL View Post
    1) Won't the yellowing affect dyeing? It's not THAT yellowish yet, here's a photo:
    It might affect it slightly, depending on what shade of blue you're planning on using. Light blue plus yellow might equal a greenish shade, OR the 100C temperature might well clean the yellow from the bezel at the same time the dye is being deposited! Dark blue will probably cover up the yellowing quite nicely.

I'm not sure which of the many cleaning methods you might have tried so far, but if you're planning on dying the bezel anyhow, you might want to try putting the bezel in a pan of (barely) boiling water with either a little soap and/or some chlorine bleach -- I've used that to remove Rit dye from bezels that didn't turn out the way I expected them to. (It doesn't remove ALL the dye when I do that, but removes a lot of it! Still, if it can remove fabric dye from resin, I suspect it will remove a LOT of dirt and/or oils that create those yellow stains!)

As I said though, if you're planning on dying it anyhow, cleaning it that way is a simple -- and inexpensive! -- first step, since you're probably got soap and bleach already!

2) Which dye should I get? I've heard about Rit and Dylon but are they the only ones? I've seen other fabric dyes in my local shops but maybe they don't have something that Rit and Dylon have?
    I think you're right that a lot of fabric dyes don't have a certain ingredient that Rit and Dylon have.

From everything I've read here, plus a lot of firsthand experimentation, here's what I've found:

Rit powder almost always works as advertised: black dye makes black bezels, green dye makes green bezels, and so on -- and makes deep dark colors when following the directions and using the right amount of water and dye!

Rit liquid doesn't work as well, AND can sometimes result in some weird combinations: "Apple Green" dye resulted in a "Smurf blue" bezel for another member, and turquoise resulted in a similar shade of blue for me. (I was a little disappointed -- my paper "test strips" came out of the pot turquoise, the disposable plastic spoon I used came out turquoise, and the bezel had none of those greenish shades at all.)

Other people's experience with Dylon liquid and powder seems to be very hit-and-miss: some people get the colors they're looking for, others have been disappointed. I seem to recall a couple of people getting good results with Dylon's black powder but can't recall which colors didn't work as well.

My one experience with Dylon powder and my one experience with Dharma Trading Company brand powder turned out much the same -- the white bezel was merely "tinted" the color in question, even though I eventually wound up using a lot more "powder to water" than the directions called for. Dylon Bahama Blue [turquoise] resulted in a very VERY light blue shade; Dharma's fluorescent neon orange resulted in a light pastel shade of orange, not the bright safety orange I was looking for. I wound up boiling both of those in bleach plus water and soap to clean them and then re-dying them with Rit.

I still think that boiling your bezel to clean it is a good first step -- if you DO decide to dye it, read a couple of the threads here on the subject, follow the directions on the dye package and use a pot you won't need for cooking in the future! No matter how well you clean the pot, it's hard to remove ALL of the dye, and some of those chemicals in the dye may be toxic if ingested. Most importantly, make sure the dye is HOT -- as in simmering or boiling -- and leave the resin in there for 10 or 20 minutes or longer! A LOT of the "failed dye experiment" threads in this sub-forum are because of "too much water, not enough dye," "dye solution wasn't hot enough" and/or "I dunked the resin for only a couple of minutes."

Hey!
    Thanks for such a quick and detailed reply! :)

If it comes to cleaning, I've tried using a toothbrush with soap, the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and some other cleaning supplies. There were absolutely no results =( But I think I'll try the method you've mentioned, thanks! You mentioned about the bezel only but what's really yellowish is the strap - is it okay to use the same method on it?
    If your method works, I think I'll pass on dyeing for now :) The shade of blue I've been thinking of would be something like royal blue:
    Name:  Blue-Mudman-G-9000-3V-06.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  109.2 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If it comes to cleaning, I've tried using a toothbrush with soap, the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and some other cleaning supplies. There were absolutely no results =( But I think I'll try the method you've mentioned, thanks! You mentioned about the bezel only but what's really yellowish is the strap - is it okay to use the same method on it?
    If your method works, I think I'll pass on dyeing for now :) The shade of blue I've been thinking of would be something like royal blue:
    I've personally never dyed any straps, only bezels, but I think I've read most of the threads here on the subject of dying G's!

I know that a few people have had trouble with their clear/jelly/translucent strap's "strap keeper" shrinking in BOILING water, but can't recall any threads where people had problems with normal, opaque straps or keepers. Here's one thread where a Mudman strap (and keeper) survived boiling just fine: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new...ap-923149.html

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to start off mixing up a little bleach, water, and maybe soap in a saucepan, bringing it to a boil carefully, then removing the pan from the heat before putting your resin in to soak. (I say "carefully" because if you're mixing boiling water and soap suds, it's entirely too easy to have it boil over the top of the pot! )

Thread Information