[Need advice] Looking for the best Ana-Digi G-Shock with Tough Solar. AWGM100, GW3500, or wait?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [Need advice] Looking for the best Ana-Digi G-Shock with Tough Solar. AWGM100, GW3500, or wait?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question [Need advice] Looking for the best Ana-Digi G-Shock with Tough Solar. AWGM100, GW3500, or wait?

Hey all :)

I would appreciate it if I could be advised/helped somewhat here. I'm looking to purchase what would be my first G-Shock, and I have the following requirements:

1. Ana-Digi
    2. Tough Solar

After doing my homework, it seems that the AWGM100 and the GW3500 are the only two available (not discontinued) models which satisfy my needs, no? Can I confirm this? Did I miss anything out? Between the AWGM100 and the GW3500, which watch is the overall superior one? What do you guys think?

AWGM100-1A - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.
    GW3500B-1A - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Aviator, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

They both seem good, but neither of them seem to have any outstanding feature which can draw me towards that model (and stay!). The former has this neat "unique hand adjustment capability" which seems pretty useful, a longer LED light afterglow, a better countdown timer, while the latter has the whole Tough Movement thing, home city/world time swapping, a snooze alarm and a better stopwatch (just to name a few)!

I'm torn.

Another thing which worries me is how old these two models are, having been released March 2012 and Feb 2011 respectively. This leads me to think that Casio may release their successors in the near future (hopefully 2015?)... yet they may be out of my reach anyway since the trend is that the RRPs of each iteration is increasing. I mean, the GW3500 had a starting RRP of just USD260 when it came out.

So what do you think guys? Should I go for the AWGM100, GW3500, or wait for something like the GW4500 to be released in the future (hopefully it's Ana-Digi + Tough Solar!)? Even though these watches may be old, are they still relevant? Would getting a 2011 watch at end-2014 be wise? I want peace of mind knowing I spent my money on something that's decent, will remain reasonably relevant and will last for some time. I'm not exactly a watch enthusiast, so I don't buy watches pretty frequently. (though, I must say, this experience has expanded my knowledge on watches by a whole lot!)

I'm a complete newbie to the G-Shock world, ... so... please pardon me if what I'm asking/the way I'm thinking may seem stupid. ><

Thanks a lot...
    Last edited by ITiming; December 23rd, 2014 at 13:08.

Re: [Need advice] Looking for the best Ana-Digi G-Shock with Tough Solar. AWGM100, GW3500, or wait?

The GW3500's LCD screen is much easier to read. It would be my preferred choice between the two models I have: GW3500b-1a and AWGM100a-1a.

with that said. The GWN1000 is my favorite ana-digi. The module does EVERYTHING, and the LED lights both the hands and the LCD screen for night viewing. It even has a second hand!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: [Need advice] Looking for the best Ana-Digi G-Shock with Tough Solar. AWGM100, GW3500, or wait?

If your not sure what to buy then i would suggest the AWG-M100.
    Choose a positive LCD version and have a good tool watch.

The GW-3500 has a bigger but always negative display.
    I think the larger size is useless at a negative display because you have problems to read it in anything else then perfect light conditions.

As dpeete already mentioned both watches have LED light for the analog part only.

I dont have to much hope for better new models because Casio managed since years to never put all the good things in a single affordable ana-digi atomic solar watch.
    The GWN-1000 is rather expensive piece of high tech with lots of cool functions. But you have to pay for it.
    Last edited by d2mac; December 23rd, 2014 at 20:34.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Perfect light" is definitely required for the negative display AWGM; the GW3500 has a much wider range of conditions where it is viewable. I wouldn't be so harsh on its legibility if the OP is looking for a comparison of the negative display models because that battle is easily the GW3500's win. I have both and I can solidly say the AWGM's negative is useless most of the time and the GW's is useful most of the time.

Not easy to find, but the GW3500d-1a is a positive display:
    Name:  GW-3500D-1AJF.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  217.1 KB

With that said, the AWGM100 is a cool watch in its own right and does have the hand movement option to view the LCD's it has. And the positive display wins legibility hands down, but the positive colorway doesn't work for everybody with the red accents.
    d2mac likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

wow, that positive one is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dpeete View Post
    "Perfect light" is definitely required for the negative display AWGM; the GW3500 has a much wider range of conditions where it is viewable. I wouldn't be so harsh on its legibility if the OP is looking for a comparison of the negative display models because that battle is easily the GW3500's win. I have both and I can solidly say the AWGM's negative is useless most of the time and the GW's is useful most of the time.

Not easy to find, but the GW3500d-1a is a positive display:
    Name:  GW-3500D-1AJF.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  217.1 KB

With that said, the AWGM100 is a cool watch in its own right and does have the hand movement option to view the LCD's it has. And the positive display wins legibility hands down, but the positive colorway doesn't work for everybody with the red accents.

Yeah, I have never seen one in person but it looks great in all the images I have seen.

To OP, what is your budget limit? That is the biggest determining factor for choosing an AnaDigi G-shock, as I found out. Casio used to have a lot more selections years ago for AnaDigi's, both G's and non-G's. But recent years, the selections have diminished quite a bit. The selections are also limited to either low end models (< $75) and high end ones (> $200), and not much in between. If you want features like shock resist, solar and atomic, it further restricts your options. If you are willing pay more (>$200) and/or go outside of G's (such as the ProTrek line), then you could have a bit more options.

Out of the two you listed. The AWGM100 is currently the cheapest solar/atomic anadigi G available in U.S. You can easily get one under $100. It's a bit on the small side and definitely not a big face watch, just to keep in mind. I also recommend the Positive display one, as with negative the 3 small circular displays are near useless. Also don't expect it as much a night time watch, as Casio sucks as usually in the Lume and LED lighting departments. The lume lasts no more than 2 hours, even fully charged with CFL light before hand. The amber LED is dim, ok to see the hands and some of the watch face, but the digital displays are completely invisible at night. I know, because I own one of these. I can't tell you much about the GW3500, since I don't own one. But for sure it's same as sucks for the count down timer, as both watches lack the 24h timer.

Other option in the G world are GWN1000 Gulfmaster like already mentioned, GWA1000 series, GWA1100 series, and MTGS1000 series. But those are definitely much higher in price. Other options in the ProTrek world are PRG550, PRW5000 - 5100 series, PAW5000, and PRW6000. Aside from PRG550, which you can get just under $200, others are > $200. You can also look into the Edifice line, which I don't know the models in my head, expect pricey too for a solar Edifice. Or you can dig into classic / sports Casio watches and see if you see an anadigi that fit your taste, but expect those be cheaper and lower end products.

Edifice does have the cool ERA300 in awesome blue or red colorways:
    Name:  CASIO+EDIFICE+ERA-300.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  273.9 KB

GW-2500B with positive display

My only regret is that the 2500 has no sweep second hand
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

PRG-550

Last edited by yankeexpress; December 23rd, 2014 at 22:09.
    watch_geek2014 likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information