1st gshock on its way - EBAY questions

Thread: 1st gshock on its way - EBAY questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st gshock on its way - EBAY questions

Hello all,

I just purchased a GW-2000B-1B off of ebay at a decent price (brand new in box) and I cant wait. I am currently living in Spain so it is being sent Global Express Mail International (USPS) from California. The seller has excellent feedback so I am not too worried about the watch itself. He has, however, gone out of his way several times to emphasize that there COULD be a customs charge and that I would be responsible for it. I was curious as to when/why customs charges are incurred. I suppose it can vary from country to country, but there should be some kind of logical theme? and how much should I expect to pay I there is one? Have any of you dealt with shipping to Spain or any other European country? Thanks for any information.

Best regards

Re: 1st gshock on its way - EBAY questions

For shipping to Belgium form the US you don't pay any taxes/duties on anything below 45 euro (shipping costs are included in this 45 euro !!)
    I always ask to declare value below 40 usd or as a gift but then you need to make sure it isn't insured for more !
    Was lucky untill last month when I had to pay 78 euro (= vat + import duty + 25 euro handling fee for the local courier) on a 350 usd watch. (shipping included) because the seller insured it for 300 usd....
    I am now avoiding to buy expensive watches from outside the EU...

Kind regards
    Broes
    SKX007 / Casio GT001 / DW-5600E / DW-6600 / Breitling Transocean / Sinn EZM2 / Kemmner Seahorse

You can expect to pay the VAT rate for Spain and a handling charge.

As a point of comparison, I recently bought a £500 watch from America and paid a total of £72 in tax and charges. The handling charge component was £8.

But you might be lucky - sometimes parcels get through the system unscathed and there is no charge at all.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I live in Spain too and maybe I've been very lucky, but I have purchased like 15 watches from different eBay sellers and never payed a penny.

So chances are that you get lucky too. Good luck! :)

G.

Suspended

Your best bet is to look up your local customs regulations as it differs from one country to the next and likely full of detailed but confusing language. Hopefully some folks living in your country will chime in with some work-arounds, if any exist.

I think the shipping method might be one potential opportunity to save you a little because importing into the US, we will get a brokerage/handling fee only from FedEx and UPS while anything that feeds into the national USPS will not.

By the way, most of the sellers I bought from were located in USA and shipped using USPS. Some were located in Asian countries. As I said, never had to pay taxes.

G.

I was wondering the same thing myself OP. Want to get a Riseman from the US as Exchange rate is good right now but have a feeling I'll be hit with import taxes, they are quite high in Ireland. I suppose its the luck of the draw. I have a couple of questions about buying one but will put that in a separate post. Hopefully your new G will slip under the customs raidar

Welcome to the forum, Keyboardcat!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Here's a cracking little gizmo I've just discovered on another forum. I entered the example I gave above and it's accurate.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Thanks for all of the info/responses. In the FAQ of the duty calculator page a 150 euros max is mentioned before VAT charges are incurred. I guess it will depend on how the seller decides to list the watch. If he places the value at what I paid for it I should be ok. If he lists the MSR I am going to be an unhappy camper. I´ll keep you all posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information