20 BAR Vs 200m

Thread: 20 BAR Vs 200m

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

20 BAR Vs 200m

20 BAR and 200m may be mathematically equal but not functionally equivalent:-S , at least not with G-Shock!! I just noticed that the Japan market G-Shock has a " 20 BAR " in-print on the watch face while the overseas model has a " 200m " instead ( for example, GW056J Vs GW056A, GW1200J Vs GW1200BA and GW300J Vs GW300A). The two watch may look alike but the Japanese market model can receive radio waves from both Japan ( JJY and NICT) and north America (WWVB) while the overseas model can only receive radio waves within North America. This is quite a disappointing discovery for me. I wish that Casio did not have to cut corners like this, in some way I guess the myth of Japan model is superior than overseas model is true. since I am a die hard G-Shock fan and travel frequently between Asia and US and I would like my watch to function equally well on both side of the world..............

From Casio's point of view....

Making a watch that was NA market watch that could also pick up the Japanese signal was not economical or practical. It is said about 40% of American's have a Passport and the rest (60%) do not. So from the Casio point of view it is a waste. BUT Casio must have had new thinking because they have started to come out with 5 band watches so this thinking must have changed
    Cheers
    leon

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: 20 BAR Vs 200m

@ ajan,

personally I expect to see tons of g-shocks with five band reception capability in the forthcoming future, because its a GIANT market.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AJAN
    20 BAR and 200m may be mathematically equal but not functionally equivalent:-S , at least not with G-Shock!! I just noticed that the Japan market G-Shock has a " 20 BAR " in-print on the watch face while the overseas model has a " 200m " instead ( for example, GW056J Vs GW056A, GW1200J Vs GW1200BA and GW300J Vs GW300A). The two watch may look alike but the Japanese market model can receive radio waves from both Japan ( JJY and NICT) and north America (WWVB) while the overseas model can only receive radio waves within North America. This is quite a disappointing discovery for me. I wish that Casio did not have to cut corners like this, in some way I guess the myth of Japan model is superior than overseas model is true. since I am a die hard G-Shock fan and travel frequently between Asia and US and I would like my watch to function equally well on both side of the world..............
    20bar doesn't exactly equal 200m. OK on paper and mathematically they do but I guess not according to standards for dive equipment. In the Japanese market the Frogman is the only model labeld with 200m because it meets the JIS standard for a dive watch. Other models are designed to that depth but aren't tested (plus there is usually a safety factor of about 25% that a dive watch can do extra as a sort of extra toughness factor while others will crap out around 200m) to that depth.

I think the standards for the US market are different and 200m can be used. One good point though is that most divers won't go beyong 120 ft so a watch that is rated 20bar can still really be used for the sport.

I think the whole thing comes down to leagl issues and no company wants to be sued so they can fall back on, didn't you read the standards for dive equipment before diving???

Kev

20 atmospheres v. 200 meters is a moot point. Very few people dive to those depths and if they did I would guarantee you that no technical diver would even consider using a G-Shock Frogman (or any other G-Shock) as their dive watch. Not when there are dive watches rated from 750 to 1000 meters and produced by companies such as Seiko, Stowa and Doxa to name but a few.

Regardless of the brand of watch, no technical diver would depend on a wristwatch. Indeed, a calibrated dive computer is the only rational time measurement tool at such depths.

To me, when I see 200m or 20BAR on a G-Shock that translates into water resistant to 200 feet.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Agree with Mike. I used to dive a good deal and now only occasionally and never deep. Any watch I've worn diving has been a backup... and if any of them ever see their 200m rating, something has gone horribly wrong someplace

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by steve6387
    ... and if any of them ever see their 200m rating, something has gone horribly wrong someplace
    yeah well, you will probably be dead by then, but thats just fine as long as your watch is still running. we all have to go one day, but at least we can do it with panache and style :-D

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Same thing..

Great point on a G-Shock for pressure proofing

Anyway, I guess "20 bar" is technically far more correct that "200 m", of WHAT? 200 m of air, fresh water or salt water???
    (sorry being a smart-ass, I'm used to it )

Quote Originally Posted by PabloElFlamenco
    Anyway, I guess "20 bar" is technically far more correct that "200 m", of WHAT? 200 m of air, fresh water or salt water???
    (sorry being a smart-ass, I'm used to it )
    i think that depends on the local regulation (as mentioned before)

i do know of some recreational diver uses G-Shocks, and that's perfectly fine

and again, the watch is only as a backup equipment, they rely on their diving computer for info

i would imagine the 5 bands atomic will reduce R&D cost in the long run? cause you can produce just 1 [atomic module of a] module for all markets. on top of that, you have a atomic watch that will work everywhere (another selling point of the models)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information