24h CDT?

Thread: 24h CDT?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

24h CDT?

Hi,

I've read many complaints about G versions that don't have a 24 hour count down timer but I have to admit that I don't understand why this is a disadvantage?

The vast majority of alarms that I set are less than a hour and for the exception you can use one of several alarms.

What am I missing? This seems like an acceptable tradeoff to get atomic/solar....

Re: 24h CDT?

Quote Originally Posted by dm4gshock View Post
    Hi,

I've read many complaints about G versions that don't have a 24 hour count down timer but I have to admit that I don't understand why this is a disadvantage?

The vast majority of alarms that I set are less than a hour and for the exception you can use one of several alarms.

What am I missing? This seems like an acceptable tradeoff to get atomic/solar....
    More is better? If given the option why not have 24hrs, who knows if/when you might need it. Not a dealbreaker for me if I like the watch and its other functions. I have watches without it. Some have specific needs that demand it.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I agree with dm4. I don't think I've ever used a countdown timer for a period longer then 60 minutes. If I needed a reminder for something that was 15 or 16 hours away, I would just set an alarm. I think people just like everything on their watches, and there's nothing wrong with that. If all G's had 24-hour countdown timers but a few had 100-hour timers, people would start complaining about the ones that "only" had a 24-hour timer. I guess it's a bigger is better kind of thing.
    Last edited by dsmithjr; August 24th, 2008 at 07:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

60 min is definitely not for me, it has to at least 6 hrs, specially for the type of work i do.

24h is good for me, 99h seems like overkill for me, maybe suitable for hikers.

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Quote Originally Posted by psychofart View Post
    60 min is definitely not for me, it has to at least 6 hrs, specially for the type of work i do.
    Why CDT instead of an alarm? More convenient?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

60min. timing is for analog watches, digitals can do much better than that, so they should. the answer to the question why not simply set an alarm for everything that takes longer than one hour is this: it's a lot easier to see at a glance the remaining time to a specific event, with just an alarm set you always have to calculate. this makes even more sense with a watch that shows the current time while in countdown mode.

one other (slightly) annoying thing about timers is, that most of them are not able to be set down to the second. on a daily basis this comes in handy quite often - if you want to boil eggs 6:30 min for instance. of course one can always set the timer to 7:00 let it run for 30 seconds, put the eggs in the pot and start the timer again, but it is simply circuitous.

besides: about two years ago or so it really was an "either...or" question having atomic-solar or having a 24 CDT. fortunately with the introducing of the pathfinder PAW-1300 and recently with the g-shock GW-9200 (riseman) this have changed. I'm pretty sure more models will follow and one day 24h CDT's, atomic and solar will be standard. I'm also sure we will find other things then to complain about....

regards, holger

Quote Originally Posted by Quension View Post
    Why CDT instead of an alarm? More convenient?
    by 6 hrs i meant not exactly 6 hrs, anywhere between 10 min to 6 hrs.

try setting an alarm for the job, calculating the time, every time u wanna set it .

for example- u wanna set a timer for 2hrs 45 minutes, how easy is it? just punch in the numbers and u 're on.

now try doing the same thing at 13:37 with an alarm for 2hrs 45 minutes. how much thinking/calculation u gotta do? and how many buttons u gotta push???

now if u wanna repeat the action again. one push and the timer's on(or auto if the CDT is repeating).

now try setting a another alarm, 2hrs 45 minutes after 13:37 for the same duration at the new time, calculating the future time.

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Countdown timers are one of the most useful features a digital watch can have. I use countdown timers far more often than I use a stopwatch. As has been said in this and another recent thread, 24 hours is rarely necessary, but 60 minutes isn't enough. Caso only give you one or the other (or occasionally neither), hence the widespread demand for 24hr countdown timers.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    More is better? If given the option why not have 24hrs, who knows if/when you might need it. Not a dealbreaker for me if I like the watch and its other functions. I have watches without it. Some have specific needs that demand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Countdown timers are one of the most useful features a digital watch can have. I use countdown timers far more often than I use a stopwatch. As has been said in this and another recent thread, 24 hours is rarely necessary, but 60 minutes isn't enough. Caso only give you one or the other (or occasionally neither), hence the widespread demand for 24hr countdown timers.
    I agree with both opinions. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's useful to have a TMR for more than 60 mins.

I had a G2500 for a short time before giving it to my son. When I got it, I decided it had plenty of alarms so I could get around the lack of a CDT. However after using CDT's, I couldn't be bothered to do this. It's a long time since I've worn a G-Shock without at least a 60 min CDT, and I only own a couple of digitals without them that will ever be worn again (G100 and PRG40). As for 24 hour CDT's, I prefer them, though haven't personally needed one as yet. The nearest I come is cooking something like a 90 minute joint, and I set the CDT for 45 mins and run it twice, which gives me a kind of progress alert and reminds me to check on it.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information