5000 - is the module encased in ti / steel?

Thread: 5000 - is the module encased in ti / steel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

5000 - is the module encased in ti / steel?

Hi everybody! Is the module in a 5000 series G fully encased in metal, as per the Frogman?

Or is the screw back the only metal piece, and it is somehow attached to a plastic case?

Thanks!

Banned

Re: 5000 - is the module encased in ti / steel?

GW-5000 is fully steel. Back plate is DLC coated. Not sure if rest of case is DLC coated. I don't think there is a 5000 series that is fully in a titanium case.

Till

The GW-5000 has a solid stainless steel case with screw back and is completely DLC coated (I've got one).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thanks guys. A GW5000 is on the list!

The DW-5000SL-1 Spike Lee edition is also a screw caseback and has a stainless steel body. It's a lot cheaper than the GW-5000 but does not have solar/atomic.

Jason, I'd highly recommend a GW-5000, it's my favourite G-Shock and when you feel the quality you know the expense is worth it.

I've just ordered another one from Katsu at http://www.higuchi-inc.com/ which I'll be passing onto a good friend of mine as his birthday present.
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

Banned

Yeah, I've made up my mind. Atomic isn't important to me (I can't get a signal in South Australia) but solar is a really useful feature.

Lack of solar on the DW is unfortunately a deal breaker for me. (my Gulfman doesn't have solar but that is a beater in the truest sense of the word so who cares).

The GW-5000 isn't cheap by G standards, but for a watch which I find truly desirable, it is very reasonable.

So now the must have G list reads:
    Matte black Mudman
    GW-5000

Still tossing up about the CF strap 5600 - I love it, but if I wait a while maybe Casio will release a screw-back with CF?

And I am completely smitten with the white Frogman (206?) I've seen recently, but unfortunately the price precludes it.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    Yeah, I've made up my mind. Atomic isn't important to me (I can't get a signal in South Australia) but solar is a really useful feature.

Lack of solar on the DW is unfortunately a deal breaker for me. (my Gulfman doesn't have solar but that is a beater in the truest sense of the word so who cares).

The GW-5000 isn't cheap by G standards, but for a watch which I find truly desirable, it is very reasonable.

So now the must have G list reads:
    Matte black Mudman
    GW-5000

Still tossing up about the CF strap 5600 - I love it, but if I wait a while maybe Casio will release a screw-back with CF?

And I am completely smitten with the white Frogman (206?) I've seen recently, but unfortunately the price precludes it.
    I think screwback would contradict the lightweight theme of the carbon fiber. Still, Casio has made stranger things.

Banned

I just assumed the CF is more about aesthetics than light weight. How much weight is going to be saved by swapping a polymer strap for a CF one?

A pic is worth 1,000 words...

Pic by ADAN (for more pics and a review - in spanish - click the pic).

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Banned

I'm an almost total opponent of the carbon fiber strap idea, especially at the price it costs. If it were $20 more, OK. But it basically doubles the price of the watch. Positive effect: POSSIBLY less resin rot on the band (there is still some form of resin in there, when that rots the bracelet won't look good anymore and possibly not wear well. Moreover for the extra cost you could buy replacement resin straps for two life-times). What else? Weight reduction? Give me a break. The watch is light enough as is in any version. If you were racing a Formula 1 car or a yacht in the America's Cup you'd have a three gram advantage. Looks? Frankly, carbon fiber has become so terribly plebeian that even the looks don't do much for me, particularly with the ugly printing on it. Is it even an officially limited edition? I'm not sure. The normal GW5000 is clearly the better option when you spend that kind of money.

Till

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information