5600 Battery Life?

Thread: 5600 Battery Life?

5600 Battery Life?

Hey guys. Im really wanting to buy a 5600. Im normally only a Solar guy but the DW5600CS-1is driving me crazy. I know it says the battery last only 2 year but I keep reading about them lasting much longer. Anyone have one that has lasted longer? Also does it have a EOL indicator?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 5600 Battery Life?

If you go easy on the EL and the alarm I have read about the 1545 module lasting up to 5 years
    ]

If you read the manual those estimates are always with like 5 EL per day and alarm, etc.. if you don't use any of those (except the EL every once in a while of course), the battery should last years and years...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

My dads 5600e lasted 7 years on a battery.
    He never used light or alarm.

What's it say in the manual? You get 2 years if you use the alarm for 20 seconds per day? So I should get 4 years if I use the alarm half as long (10 seconds per day). If I use the alarm 5 seconds per day I should get 8 years. Right? That means 2.5 seconds per day, I should get 16 years? If I don't use the EL or alarms, countdown, or chime, I should get... Well I'd say about 10-14 years depending on how fresh the battery is. As I've said before, it just doesn't require a lot of power to quietly tell time.

"My dads 5600e lasted 7 years on a battery."

How long did it sit in the store's display case before he bought it?
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by cdude View Post
    What's it say in the manual? You get 2 years if you use the alarm for 20 seconds per day? So I should get 4 years if I use the alarm half as long (10 seconds per day). If I use the alarm 5 seconds per day I should get 8 years. Right? That means 2.5 seconds per day, I should get 16 years? If I don't use the EL or alarms, countdown, or chime, I should get... Well I'd say about 10-14 years depending on how fresh the battery is. As I've said before, it just doesn't require a lot of power to quietly tell time.

"My dads 5600e lasted 7 years on a battery."

How long did it sit in the store's display case before he bought it?
    You calculation is missing the power consumtion of the circuit itself (LCD and electronics) and the aging and discharge of the battery.
    Based on you calculation the battery life is infinite if you disable beep and light.

"You calculation is missing the power consumtion of the circuit itself (LCD and electronics) and the aging and discharge of the battery..."

No it isn't. I said it should last 10-14 years depending on how fresh the battery is. Lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years. (That refers to the self discharge rate of the battery). I've read some people here getting 14 years out of Lithiums. In this thread Blue UT6 said he's had his on the original battery for nearly 20 years. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=227702

I also said "As I've said before, it just doesn't require a lot of power to quietly tell time." The LCDs and CMOS chips, and quartz crystals used in these things just don't require huge amounts of power (compared to LED watches in the 70s). In fact, it's so low I just ignored it because in my experience the battery discharges itself faster than the quiet watch. I've had a watch last 9.5 years on a single CR2016, and it was still going when I replaced the battery as a preventative measure.

I did NOT edit the previous post either (I edited this second one).
    Last edited by cdude; February 15th, 2009 at 21:03.
    SPROING!!!!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by cdude View Post
    "You calculation is missing the power consumtion of the circuit itself (LCD and electronics) and the aging and discharge of the battery..."

No it isn't. I said it should last 10-14 years depending on how fresh the battery is. Lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years. (That refers to the self discharge rate of the battery). I've read some people here getting 14 years out of Lithiums. In this thread Blue UT6 said he's had his on the original battery for nearly 20 years. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=227702

I also said "As I've said before, it just doesn't require a lot of power to quietly tell time." The LCDs and CMOS chips, and quartz crystals used in these things just don't require huge amounts of power (compared to LED watches in the 70s). In fact, it's so low I just ignored it because in my experience the battery discharges itself faster than the quiet watch. I've had a watch last 9.5 years on a single CR2016, and it was still going when I replaced the battery as a preventative measure.

I did NOT edit the previous post either (I edited this second one).
    The old 5600C models used larger batteries.
    There the discharge is taking a longer time then on the 2016 used in 5600E.
    I suspect the electronics of the 5600C and 5600E have a similar power consumption.
    The 9,5 years you watch lasted is the longest lifetime i read here.

I have one of these:
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ct/DW5600E-1V/
    I got it in early 2003. It's on its original CR2016 battery. The Casio website says it lasts 2 years on the 2016. If I remember right the paper manual says it lasts 2 years if the alarm is used 20 seconds per day. The online manual may or may not mention battery life. I know the old ones use bigger batteries, but I based my estimate on the CR2016, Casio's paper manuals, personal experience, and the shelf life of Lithium batteries as stated on the datasheets of batteries from the manufacturer's website.

I never really use my 5600. I've seen the early 5600s with the bigger battery that you describe. They're beautiful. Nice solid, hard stainless steel case, screwdown caseback, and that wonderfully reliable battery. By comparison the new plasticy 5600 feels cheap to me. I thought I'd get used to it, but I didn't. Mine is starting to show the very early stages of resin rot. I pulled it out of the safe and it had the white powder all over. When I folded the band at the end it got whiter in the crease. The bezel should be OK for a while because it doesn't flex.

Battery life is the first thing I research with any watch. It's so easy to make those things last, and it's the biggest thing manufacturers skimp on.

By the way, Casio shrunk the 5600 battery to a 2016 in the early 90s. It's the one with the REM on the display. At least they kept the metal case.

I also have 4 of these:
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...c/W96H_Series/
    I bought two the day I first saw them in 2002. They use the CR 2025, the alarm defaults to 10 seconds instead of 20, and it beeps different. All are on the original battery.

I got one of these in 2001:
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ssic/F105W-1A/
    It uses the 2016. I've never replaced its battery.

I've never compared the power consumption on the old VS. new. I'd say the either the new is probably more efficient, they're the same, or it doesn't matter. Those 80s watches were so much more energy efficient compared to the LED watches of the 70s (or even modern LED watches).

Remember, my watch that lasted 9.5 years used a 2016, so there's hope.
    SPROING!!!!

Great info guys! Thanks for your help.

Thread Information