5600 series

Thread: 5600 series

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

5600 series

After owning many G-shocks I've come to the conclusion that for me the 5600 series is the quintessential G. I think out of all its variations the one I find most useful is the G-5600. It maintains the look of the earlier DW-56000's with updated technology. I was wondering which 5600 you veterans think is the best of the lineage? I know that some people did not like it when the stainless steel case with oyster back was replaced with the composite fiberglass case and 4 screw steel back. The great article unbreakable suggests that the update was another step forward and the composite case withstands shock better than steel. Is that true or was it a cost cutting measure? What do you guys think? Which G-shock do you think is the quintessential G?

Regards,
    A

Re: 5600 series

Quote Originally Posted by angus
    Which G-shock do you think is the quintessential G?
    A fine question, and one I've been considering quite a lot lately. I confess I even had a nerdy moment and translated my likes and dislikes into a 'league table'. Of the Gs I own, the pecking order went 1) G-2300, 2) G-8000, 3) DW-6900, 4) G-5600. I don't own a DW-5600, but it would come in 3rd. It's a highly subjective list, largely because I introduced a personal 'G-Whizz' factor. This isn't a 'quintessential' table, but it did concentrate my mind.

The quintessential G must, in my view, have the full range of basic timekeeping functions (including 'proper' countdown timers and alarm setting by date), 'speciality' functions (i.e. mudproofing, dive times, etc) are less important. The styling must have stood the test of time, and have a 'rightness' about it. It must be at the more affordable end of the spectrum. It must be digital and made from resin. There are two contenders, I would say - the 5600 and the 6900. I note that the question asks 'what is', which means we are making our judgement from the perspective of 2006. With that in mind, I would nominate the 6900. The functions are the same as the 5600, but the 6900 has the fifth light button, which is ergonomically more successful. The size and proportions of the 6900 are also just right in terms of 'G-ness' (ask someone to draw a G and it would come out something like a 6900). The 5600 would have been the quintessential G until the 6900 had been around for a few years.

All in my opinion, of course...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

A very interesting question. I personally find the older vintages of the 5600 series to be aesthetically pleasing, because of the screw down case back, but nothing more. The DW-5600E is very good from a financial perspective, just because it can be had for next to nothing.

For me, the real value lies in the G-5600 and GW-5600. I love solar power watches, and have never had a problem with one. The extra functions on the G-5600 are obviously superior, but the GW-5600 has the excellent waveceptor capability, as well as the much more aesthetically pleasing 4-screw case back. The G-5600 gets the nod for versatility, since it will accept strap adapters.

I guess itís a matter of what you value most in a watch. I am seriously considering the GW-5600, now that it can be purchased within the US. Iím a big fan of solar powered watches and really like the waveceptor capability. The atomic timekeeping capability may mean more to me than the larger countdown timer and showing the day on the display. But itís a tough call between the GW-5600 and G-5600.

I donít think you can wrong with any of the more current 5600 incarnations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i still like the DW5600C (screwdown caseback) the best out of all the 5600s

given that G5600 out *EL* and out *tough solar* it, and on top of that GW5600 out *world time* and out *atomic* it.

but i still like the SS screwdown case (give you the heavy and solid feel every time you put it on your wrist), and it gives you just the right amount of functionality (i don't really see myself using the full 99 hrs of countdown timer on G5600 but the 60min timer on GW5600 is just not enough)

i think DW5600E, G5600 and GW5600 are perfectly fine G-Shocks (in fact, they are GREAT G-Shocks). but when comparing to a DW5600C, i can't help but to say "they don't make G-Shocks like they used to anymore"
    IMO, i think DW5600, DW6600, DW6900 are quintessential G-Shocks

I think there is beauty in simplicity.

The 5600 is a simple watch, with a simple design. Like buzzbait, I find it to be aesthetically pleasing, and I think the G-5600 is the way to go.

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

How about some decent photos guys for us all to enjoy and see?

DW-5600E

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE
    How about some decent photos guys for us all to enjoy and see?
    I don't have a camera, but I will try to take some pics with my ultra-cheap(and old) webcam.

Apologies in advance for the horrendous shots I am about to unleash. :-D

I was holding a desklamp right to the watch, and was at a window at 9.40 am, but the lighting still wasn't good. The camera doesn't pick up light well at all. Enjoy!

Last edited by DW-5600E; February 19th, 2007 at 13:30.

Does the GW5600J have auto EL?

I know nothing of G-Shocks other than what I've researched in the past few days. Honestly I really don't like most G-Shocks, but the classic 5600 seems perfect. I'm leaving for the Army in September and am looking for a suitable watch that is durable and inexpensive (I don't think my shiny Seiko chrono is very suitable and I don't feel like destroying my Marathon Navigator even though it is a military watch)

I look at the GW5600J and note it's features:

World Time
    24 hour format
    Solar powered
    Atomic time (Although this feature probably won't be all that useful :-D)
    Cheap and durable (JC Penny has it for $100, plus they'll be having a sale this weekend so I imagine I'll be able to pick it up for $75 or less)

Also, what are the alarms like? Is it loud enough to actually function as an alarm clock?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information