6900 mod (G button)

Thread: 6900 mod (G button)

6900 mod (G button)

Just a quick one guys, currently building a custom gw-6900 and was wondering is the "G" button the same across the 6900 range. I know the case is different but was thinking of fitting a G button from a DW-6900 if I can, given the greater number of colour options.

Thanks
    Andy

Re: 6900 mod (G button)

Is that true that gw 6900 and dw 6900 have different bezel size?

This is brand new information for me. I thought they are interchangeable.

Sent from Nexus 4
    Have a nice day

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ Yes, the GW-6900 and DW-6900 have slightly different bezel sizes. It's enough that makes them incompatible, without making some modifications. This is also the reason why the bullbars fit well on one, but are tight on the other.

The "G" button should be the same. Would be a bit backward thinking of CASIO not to standardize it, actually. Easiest way to confirm would be to look up the "G" button on either watch on PacParts and then do a "part to model" search to see which watches it is used in. Unfortunately the PacParts website is not coming up right now (seldom happens), or I'd check it for you.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jordan17 View Post
    Is that true that gw 6900 and dw 6900 have different bezel size?

This is brand new information for me. I thought they are interchangeable.
    Yes, it's true. No, they're not interchangeable. Here's a detailed thread by Sjors on the subject: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f376/g-...-a-377861.html

Short version of THAT thread: the G-6900 and GW-6900 use the same size bezel and same size bezel screws, and ARE interchangeable between one another.

The DW-6900 uses a different size bezel (and different screws) than the G and GW and are NOT interchangeable with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Easiest way to confirm would be to look up the "G" button on either watch on PacParts and then do a "part to model" search to see which watches it is used in.
    Unfortunately, there seems to be something wonky with the PacParts website right now OR they got tired of me promoting it as a useful parts database!

I tried this with the light button (and also the "case center" for the G- and GW-6900 models) and it shows both parts as ONLY for the GW-6900. Looking at their array of pictures of GW-6900's, I suspect that's because of the array of different-colored "G" buttons on that model, but we KNOW that they use the same case across all those models.
    Last edited by Mike K; October 22nd, 2013 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I tried this with the light button (and also the "case center" for the G- and GW-6900 models) and it shows both parts as ONLY for the GW-6900. Looking at their array of pictures of GW-6900's, I suspect that's because of the array of different-colored "G" buttons on that model, but we KNOW that they use the same case across all those models.
    They may have done that for a styling issue. I have to wonder if there's one model DW-6900 and GW-6900 that has the same colored light button. In any event, I'm thinking that the cases must be different because the button holes on the bezels don't line up perfectly between the two.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

In any event, I'm thinking that the cases must be different because the button holes on the bezels don't line up perfectly between the two.
    I typed that wrong above and should have used suffixes: PacParts' database has the case center listed for the GW-6900-1. That part doesn't even show up as the case center for any other GW-6900 models, like the white GW-6900A-7 or the yellow GW-6900A-9, even though they undoubtedly use the same case.

^ Yes, the GW-6900 and DW-6900 have slightly different bezel sizes. It's enough that makes them incompatible, without making some modifications. This is also the reason why the bullbars fit well on one, but are tight on the other.

The "G" button should be the same. Would be a bit backward thinking of CASIO not to standardize it, actually. Easiest way to confirm would be to look up the "G" button on either watch on PacParts and then do a "part to model" search to see which watches it is used in. Unfortunately the PacParts website is not coming up right now (seldom happens), or I'd check it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Yes, it's true. No, they're not interchangeable. Here's a detailed thread by Sjors on the subject: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f376/g-...-a-377861.html

Short version of THAT thread: the G-6900 and GW-6900 use the same size bezel and same size bezel screws, and ARE interchangeable between one another.

The DW-6900 uses a different size bezel (and different screws) than the G and GW and are NOT interchangeable with those two.

Unfortunately, there seems to be something wonky with the PacParts website right now OR they got tired of me promoting it as a useful parts database!

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.
    I'm new to this g-shock world, and would kindly learn a lot from you :)
    Have a nice day

I have looked at a few DW-6900 and GW-6900 images of the same size, and when super-imposed the "G" button looks to be the same size. I'm not guaranteeing that this is the case, but it seems to be a good bet that it is. The parts are not expensive, so it may just be worthwhile getting one to try it out, assuming you're ordering it along with other parts (PacParts charges a base $6.95 minimum shipping fee, no matter how inexpensive the part you order; I got reamed on this because I let them break up my shipment and they sent me a $0.50 gasket for an insane charge of $7.45. I'll never do that again).

I am pretty sure they are the same size as far as light button goes. With all of my G's, I still to this day love my dw-6900. It is my "go to" watch. No nonsense, manly, and battle worthy.

Thread Information