7 years battery models

Thread: 7 years battery models

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

7 years battery models

Hi all,

I follow battery vs solar and found that some non-solar models are rated 7 years.

I would like to know which models have a 7 years (or more?) battery life.

Can you guys please help?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 7 years battery models

A few examples that I can recall are :
    Gulfman, GLX5600, G7800 and G7710 (5 years), G2900 (10 years)
    These models use the battery cr2025. But the performance depends also on the model (the Mudman also uses it but they write 3 years)
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Moderator G-Shock Forum

As freeman said, some modules are using the larger 2025 battery.
    The larger battery is used in different modules for different reasons.
    - In the G-9000 mudman probably to compensate the higher power consumtion of the dual illuminator
    - in the G7500 to compensate the vibration motors power consumption
    - In the G-2900 to extent battery life to advertize it as "10years watch"

Since casios battery life calculation based on turn on light and alarm once a day, every "special functionality" in these area will decrease battery life.
    The LCD display and the timekeeping circuit are probably using the same very tiny amount of power in all watches.

So if you use the alarm and light seldom or never, a 2025 battery watch should last at least as long as the G2900s 10 years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would go as far as to say that if Casio rates watch for "7 year" battery life that it can easily last 3 times as long especally if you rearly use alarm and backlight.

Casio is REAL conservative when it comes down to battery estimates. They say "7" but they assume 20sec alarm per day and one usage of backlight per day. So if you rearly use both I would not be supprised a bit if the battery lasts 20 years+.

Take orignal 5600 for example. His battery life is rated for only 2 years and yet we heard numerous reports of battery lasting 6 years or more if one barely ever uses alarm and backlight.

So yea... I agree... 7 years offical battery life makes "solar" a mute point... I don't think that anyeone here expects "solar" cell to last 20+ years.

Cheers.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Thank you. This is a great forum indeed ...

... and you're right duke4c, 7 (or 10) years battery makes solar models a mute point.

My point is that I am trying to minimize battery service (it's not very expensive but I need to find some time in my agenda to drop it at Casio official service).

In my daily life I don't need a very tough watch (I'm a sysadmin) but I like the idea of not being affraid of break it or have to take it off in order to swim, jog, etc.

It all started because I need a new but simple watch and I start digging some cheap automatic analog models (because they don't need batteries). Then, I realise that I would need light and alarm functions which are not a common feature on those models. So I turn to ana-digi. When I was trying to find some ana-digi I found that Timex have some solar models which seems a nice feature because I wouldn't need batteries. While looking for solar models I found solar analog G's.

After that, it all became clear. What I was looking for all this time was a G !

After some reading on analog G's, I turn to digital models that would be cheap and have a long battery life. This way I don't need to repalce batteries too often and I don't need to take it off while washing my car, went to the beach, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I also like some more expensive models too, like riseman or frogman but I just don't need all those functions ...

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by lost2 View Post
    Then, I realise that I would need light and alarm functions which are not a common feature on those models. .

If you need to use light and alarm VERY often, you should consider a solar G though. Those functions are power comsuming and may decrease the lifespan of a standard Gs battery.

I own some solar watches without having trouble with it*.

I also own several non-solars and getting better and better in exchanging batteries. As a technical educated person (like sysadmin usually are) you shouldnt have any problems in exchanging batteries yourself.
    Even if you ruin the watch during the process after 5 years of service or so - its not THAT expensive to buy a new one.

*-except one GW-300 which is known for not being a reliable model, out of production now (AFAIK)
    Last edited by d2mac; December 17th, 2009 at 09:44. Reason: forget something

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    I also own several non-solars and getting better and better in exchanging batteries. As a technical educated person (like sysadmin usually are) you shouldnt have any problems in exchanging batteries yourself.
    True, exchanging batteries is not very difficult. Last weekend I had to change batteries and after reading the thread below and a video on YouTube, I felt well prepared and did it.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=19704

yes, I have no problem replacing batteries myself (from different gadgets, incluing some ipod mini which do not have a user repalceble battery) but until now I only have screw back models which I can't open easily (do you know how to?).

My first Casio was a calculator model that was stolen from my jacket in a gym class. The second one was (and still is) a pre-G dw-1000. This watch was indeed so good (and as a kid I couldn't afford a G model) that I wear it most of the times.

Sometimes I use some other brand watches but they do not have the same 'spirit' and feeling. I know that my dw-1000 is, by now, something to take good care and preserve but I use it with no restrictions. It never let me down.

Yesterday, I went with my wife to a local store and bought a baby-G for my 10 years old kid as x-mas gift and pick a G2900 just to have a look. I think my wife notice a special bright on my eyes

Let's wait !

I agree with some people in this forum saying that G2900 is a litle ... well, I don't know how to call it ... but those two sails on the display are not very attractive. As i said, it will be my new battle horse and I will give my old dw-1000 a little rest ...

Quote Originally Posted by lost2 View Post

Yesterday, I went with my wife to a local store and bought a baby-G for my 10 years old kid as x-mas gift and pick a G2900 just to have a look. I think my wife notice a special bright on my eyes

Let's wait !

I agree with some people in this forum saying that G2900 is a litle ... well, I don't know how to call it ... but those two sails on the display are not very attractive. As i said, it will be my new battle horse and I will give my old dw-1000 a little rest ...
    I don't share your attraction for the G2900, but I find it cool that different tastes lead different people to love different Gs...
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    So yea... I agree... 7 years offical battery life makes "solar" a mute point... I don't think that anyeone here expects "solar" cell to last 20+ years.

Cheers.
    Probably not, but then again, none of us really knows since most of the modern tough solars haven't been around anywhere near that long.

It wouldn't surprise me if a certain proportion or solar modules did survive past 20 years although I doubt the resin would.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information