9300 Mudman debut
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 9300 Mudman debut

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LUW

Picture 9300 Mudman debut

Though I had the G-9300-1DVR for a few weeks, I wanted to wear it some to be able to do a better write-up. So this is NOT a proper review, just my impressions on the watch.

Right when it was released, at first I was not very found of the watch's overall looks, thinking it was a bit on the large size. And it definitively is not small, with 52 mm of diameter and 19 mm of height. Compared to other Gs it's pretty big.

G-9300 × G-8250

Surprisingly, it's very comfortable to wear, MUCH better then my G-9010. Probably that's because it's wider and doesn't have those silly bumps on the case guard on the back.

Another reason is the VERY nice strap:

First G I have with "3D printed" straps.

The module is quite good - a bit short of perfect (as if there will ever be a perfect module ), but with the "right" functions. The best thing, at least for me, is that you have current time in SW mode and CT mode. And it's the first G I've seen with UTC or other TZ time on the main screen if you want. The compass, as with all Casios I've seen, is pretty good, not perfectly accurate when compared to my Suunto MC-2G, but more then good enough for a "wrist compass". The thermometer works well, but totally silly IMO because you have to remove it from your wrist for 20 minutes to get an accurate ambient temperature reading . But off the wrist it's quite accurate, I would say with less then 1º C of error.

I kind of started a tradition of inaugurating my Gs with a bike ride . So after basically a whole week of dreadful cold and humid weather, this morning the skies showed hope of giving us some sunshine, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a spin. And since I wasn't going far or didn't plan on doing some hardcore pedaling, it was the perfect opportunity to take my new Muddy for it's inaugural bike ride .

Being light, with only 69 g, you forget it's on your wrist, so it's perfect for cycling.

With all the rain of the past week, LOTS of mud today, so the 9300 is just the watch .

I was afraid that all my roaming grounds would be terribly wet, so I chose one of my shorter loops. This one goes by a power substation, and let me tell you that it's scary to get so close. You can hear the electricity flowing, one of the few times you can say "I feel the power" without it being just a figure of speech .

525.000 v (!!) of juice!

And I'm certain that most of you have never seen this tree before. It's a conifer, called locally"pinheiro do paraná" or "araucária" (Araucaria angustifolia). It's the symbol of my state Paraná, and at one time it almost covered the whole state, but because of lumbering we only have around 20% of the original trees. Nowadays it's a preserved species, and you can only find it in the three states of the South of Brazil.

It's a HUGE tree, the older ones get up to 40 m, and they're loved for their seeds, called "pinhão". They are grouped together in a cluster called "pinha", and when they fall to the ground they scatter and it's just a matter of picking them up.

Roasted they are frigginliciously good, but can also be boiled or even fried.

Oh, I was forgetting this little detail. One thing that I really liked on the 9300 are the buttons: even with gloves on, you can press the buttons . I was pretty much worried about that, because with my 9010 that's almost an impossible job. During the ride I didn't have to remove my gloves to operate the buttons not even once. On my way back home I took a detour and went through the property of Fiat Brasil, that has a a power plant unit here in Campo Largo.

It's a popular place with the skinny tire crowd, with absolutely no traffic and glass smooth asphalt roads, and security doesn't mind Homo cyclus roaming around. Though I'm definitively not part of the speed crowd, it's a great place to hammer the pedals. In fact, today I was able to best my personal "street record", and got up to 68,1 km/h on a downhill .

Well, I guess that's all for today. Excuse me for the not so great shots, but I have to rely on my small Sony TX1 instead of my habitual bulky and heavy Nikon D90. The TX1 can make some decent shots, but only in sunny conditions. I also hate it's clumsy touch screen, so I want to get something else to carry on the bike. On that mud shot I was too lazy to take off my gloves and almost let the darn thing fall in the water . I'm seriously thinking about getting a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 or a Nikon Coolpix AW100, that supposedly can make some nice pictures AND are waterproof. But that, as always, is just a matter of $time$ .

Last edited by LUW; May 26th, 2012 at 22:18.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: 9300 Mudman debut

Great write. Really enjoyed the pics and tour of your hometown....oh and the G is nice as well

Hello LUW. I always like to read your bike ride review. Very accurate description, very honest. No bias!
    Great review and Brazil is beautiful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent, really enjoyed that write up and photos, thank you very much for posting it for our pleasure.
    Best regards

Dave.

Really enjoyed reading that....thanks!!

Nice review. Thank you. You live in a beauty are there. I also like your review of the practical use of the mudman. For me the mudman on the bike looks more appropriate than the frogman on the bike, lol.

great write up there, n i got one myself today too n it says hi :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Although you can't determine what will happen, but you can choose to do with whatever happened

LUW

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the text and pics!
    It's not like I have anything rare or special to show, so I try to make things interesting. Besides, I'm always looking for excuses to ride my bike and wear my Gs .

Quote Originally Posted by GShockMe View Post
    For me the mudman on the bike looks more appropriate than the frogman on the bike, lol.
    Oh come on, you don't want my Frogs to get jealous, do you?
    Seriously though, the dive function on the Frogs is great because you have current time on SW mode. Every module should be able to do this IMO.
    Last edited by LUW; May 27th, 2012 at 00:45.
    Feisar likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Great write up and thanks for sharing, LUW! Enjoyed the bike ride with you.
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

thanks for sharing! i enjoyed reading that and looking at the great pics!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information