about dw-004
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: about dw-004

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

about dw-004

anyone care to share about the information on this model? explored the internet but to no avail. hope some pros or anyone could provide me with its history. and a few more questions. will the water resistance of all g shocks malfunction the moment the back cover is opened up to replace its internal dead battery? or would dw-004 malfunction? and any good straps to recommend to replace the existing velcro type that comes with this model. would prefer a plastic one. good to see such a forum exist. g shock rocks.

Banned

Re: about dw-004

Hi tenankeshi,

Anything in particular you are looking for or just some general info on the features of the watch? Oh, and welcome aboard to WUS .

nope. not general info about dw-004. i used to owe this watch but that was when i was a kid. wished to know more about this model. thats all. still deciding on which new models to take yet. not come to a conclusion though. hope more people would provide me with the information on dw-004.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: about dw-004

Hi Tenankeshi,

First of all, welcom to our G-Shock corner. My first G-Shock was a DW-004 that I bought in 2000. I believe it was originally released in the 1998 or 1999 collection. They came in many different types, although I believe all had the 1659 module (if I'm right).

I think I loved it because it wasn't a completely round case and the nice color variations. What color DW-004 and what kind of straps did it have?

I'm actually fond of the DW-002, DW-003 and DW-004 models. What specs dou you want on your new G-Shock? Don't you think the new Mudman will do?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Laughing Hello and Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by tenankeshi
    anyone care to share about the information on this model?
    explored the internet but to no avail. hope some pros or anyone could provide me with its history. and a few more questions. will the water resistance of all g shocks malfunction the moment the back cover is opened up to replace its internal dead battery? or would dw-004 malfunction? and any good straps to recommend to replace the existing velcro type that comes with this model. would prefer a plastic one. good to see such a forum exist. g shock rocks.
    G'day TKB-)

Nice to meet you and always good to see a rocking on new member

anyone care to share about the information on this model?hope some pros or anyone could provide me with its history.
    I'll try:-D

The DW-004 range came in many models, colours, designs and also many limited edition types.

Many were first released in 1998, and they were a very poular and expesive model back then, as well as being highly fashionable on the surf scene both in Japan and Australia.

I believe they have been released further on, as I saw them for sale in Bangkok Dept. stores a few years ago, although these models were made in Thailand and I believe most of the original models were made in Japan.

The below photo will give you an idea of a 1998 model set.

hope some pros or anyone could provide me with its history.
    Let's try

will the water resistance of all g shocks malfunction the moment the back cover is opened up to replace its internal dead battery?or would dw-004 malfunction?
    No, not at all, only some dependant on the procedure.

I always recommend that people take/send their G-Shock's back to CASIO or an authorized dealer to have the battery changed.

Many things can happen once that back is removed. Firstly, the seals can be damaged. Secondly, one can damage the inside of the watch as it is delicate and fiddly, plus parts can spring/pop out and before you know what's happened, your watch can be broken.

My only experience with G-Shock battery changes is in Japan as I used to live and collect whislt their. Any of my G's that had dead batteries, went straight back to CASIO Japan. They used to do the job right, and right the first time including updating the seals when the batteries were changed, plus a pressure check. They were so good that the watches, regardless of age used to come back to me with a one year warranty:gold

and any good straps to recommend to replace the existing velcro type that comes with this model. would prefer a plastic one.
    Many DW-004 models came with a resin strap, other's with velcro, and some with both.

I think they are just as good as one another, but it really depends on you the wearer as to what suits you, fastening, feel, comfort, etc.

g shock rocks.
    YEAH!!!!!!!! They are the best!! :gold

Last but not least, being a member with a first post, you now qualify to take a guess, for a chance to win the CASIO G-SHOCK SPEEDPASS model

Have a look at the top of the G-Shock forum page. Click the first post to read how to vote and post your guess on a website.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=26106&page=6
    GOOD LUCK:gold

thanks sjors and ozzie. thanks for providing me with details i really cannot find on the net. by the way, sjors, i think my dw-004 has a 1826 module. i bought it in 1998 when it was first released. think the module you mentioned belongs only to the later batch. am i right to say that? by the way, what does module exactly mean? i still dont quite get the picture of 1826 module or 16 something something module. sorry to trouble you guys but just 1 last question. if my dw-004 has the exterior casing all chipping off bit by bit, is it actually possible to return to casio to ask them to re-service it for me? i think my internal rubber that prevents the water (water resistance function), is damaged too. wonder if i can get a replacement for that as well. and about what g shock to get, i will answer you this qns once i have decided, sjors. and thanks for the recommendation. long live to g shock.

Hi TK -

You are welcome.

I will let Sjors answer your next round of questions as just about to go to bed here.

I found these old photos of mine for you of some more recent DW-004 mdoels.

The yellow one has the nylon non velcro band and the red and blue have full resin bands.

I think Sjors has this same model.

It will give you a close up of the case

Hi Tenankeshi,

The DW-004 came indeed originally with two different versions. The one I mention is the more basic model, like in Ozzie's 2nd batch of pictures. The one you have are the more expensive versions with the auto-illuminator. Exept for the auto-illuminator the functions were the same. Your G-Shock was probably released in the G-Lide series (or when you bought it in Japan Xtreme series). In Europe you find them often in the white/blue, white/green and bronze versions with double velcro watchband.

While the normal models costed here around €115,- in 2000, you had to pay around €160,- for the G-Lide versions (note that in the Netherlands G-Shock's are pretty expensive!).

Here some pics of one of mine (Thanks to Adan!)

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

That's interesting.

Did you notice your photos signal ring is on the right and mine on the leftB-)

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE
    That's interesting.

Did you notice your photos signal ring is on the right and mine on the leftB-)
    That's also a tiny difference between the 1659 and 1828 module. The countdown animation of time is a little different too.

Cheers,

Sjors

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information