Accuracy of atomic watch

Thread: Accuracy of atomic watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Accuracy of atomic watch

This is purely out of curiosity. I noticed that my watch is off by 5 seconds compared to the clock on time.gov .I really am not that much of a stickler for this, but I find it interesting. Also, why do they call something water resistant. Surely if its resistant to 200m , its waterproof at 50m?

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Accuracy of atomic watch

What kind of atomic watch are you using?

If its a analog hands watch without "tough movement" the hands may not be zeroed.

Digital atomic watches should stay spot on the atomic time (if signal is received once a day)

I dont understand your 50<>200m question.

There's a really good thread on this here. Do scroll down to the links as well
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just checked my GWM-5600 and its bang on with time.gov. It last synced about 12 hours ago.

To answer the question, the accuracy [let's say the the deviation of time keeping from a hypothetically perfect reference] of Casio's atomic watches is the same as their non atomic watches: +/- 15 seconds a month within some temperature boundaries. The atomic timekeeping is best thought of as an invisible hand that attempts to synchronize your watch once a day to a reference standard.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    To answer the question, the accuracy [let's say the the deviation of time keeping from a hypothetically perfect reference] of Casio's atomic watches is the same as their non atomic watches: +/- 15 seconds a month within some temperature boundaries. The atomic timekeeping is best thought of as an invisible hand that attempts to synchronize your watch once a day to a reference standard.
    This.

So essentially to say they are more accurate may not be 100% true. They may not be more accurate than a normal G-shock that you manually synced with time.gov every day. The difference is that they just sync themselves up every night by themselves.

That's correct.

Just checked my GW5000. It is spot on accurate to the Time.gov. Last, atomic synced a month ago I know it's hard to believe my GW5000 is dead accurate even without any syncing! My Seiko SBCM023 is also right on the money for about 1 month now.

mine is 1-2 sec off from the computer time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
    mine is 1-2 sec off from the computer time at work.
    Computer clocks are terrible as they always seem to be off anf deviate quickly in my experiences.

My mtg900 syncs a couple times a day and everytime I havechecked it against the national clock it has been bang on.

Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • Garmin FR10 • DTW LE Chrono
    True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk
    Live your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life... and when it comes time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information