Adjusting DW-5600C 901 module accuracy
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By garthg
  • 1 Post By xevious

Thread: Adjusting DW-5600C 901 module accuracy

Adjusting DW-5600C 901 module accuracy

This is a followup to my original posting on the restoration of a DW-5600C with the 901 module as described at this link.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/par...0c-977538.html

When I got the watch, it was running about 22 seconds / month fast (sorry, in my original posting I erroneously mentioned it was slow, my mistake !). I wanted it to be more accurate, ideally in the range of 0 to + 5 seconds per month, and ran into some WUS posts about there being a trimmer screw I could turn to adjust the accuracy of the module. I've had experience with regulating mechanical watches, so I was prepared for a "adjust it 20 times" trial and error approach until I finally got the accuracy I was looking for.

I turned the trimmer screw (pointed at by the red arrow) about 5 to 10 degrees clockwise. I wasn't sure it that would speed it up or slow it down, but I figured that was a good first step. To my surprise, it slowed down exactly as much as I needed. Wearing it for a full month 24/7 on my wrist, it ended up only losing 1/4 of a second. When it's not on my wrist, the watch runs about 3.5 seconds fast per month. I really got lucky !

Name:  LoRes13r166f005.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  66.5 KB
    nigelw, littleroger1 and Davidro like this.

Re: Adjusting DW-5600C 901 module accuracy

Great write up. I never knew that you could adjust a quartz watch. Now if I could ever get the back to my 5600c open I 'd give it a shot. (May wind up trying the super gluing a nut to the back to open it trick).

Nicely done!!!

I've adjusted quite a few G-Shocks. I find quartz to be much easier to adjust than mechanical. Less of having to go back and forth, to zero in on the sweet spot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few additional points re: adjusting the accuracy:

My 5600C has the 901 module. I don't know if the trimmer, and the direction to turn it to speed it up or down, is the same with the 691 module version of the 5600C

Be careful with the trimmer screw. Don't press down on it hard because trimmers are usually part of the circuit board for the module so you don't want to inadvertently crack the board.

Even a watch that is + 30 seconds fast per month is only +1 second fast per day so to check the results of adjusting the trimmer you should wait a day or two to see what the actual affect of your adjustment is.

Take into account the consistency of the accuracy of the time source you are trying to match your watch to. An internet source (example time.gov) will be continuously accurate throughout the day. On the other hand, an atomic watch will be accurate at the time of its sync (usually around midnight) but then drift by whatever the base accuracy of the movement is. For example, my GW-5600J when free running (not syncing regularly) runs about +15 sec/month or about + 1/2 second per day. Thus even if your adjusted watch is running perfectly accurate, if you checked it against your atomic watch early in the morning and then later in the evening it might look like it is running a fraction of a second slow when in fact it isn't. To avoid that problem, you should check against your atomic watch at roughly the same time each day.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Nicely done. I've had that luck too, where the 1st adjustment works just enough and no further adjustment is needed.

Keep in mind that the accuracy will eventually drift. I find that if I adjust mine in the warmer months, they lose some time in the colder ones. And if I adjust them in the cold months, they gain in the warmer months. The ideal is to get it spot on at the equinox, then tolerate a little loss and a little gain in certain times of the year.
    garthg likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Can anyone confirm what direction of rotation decreases the time on a 1545 module?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Nicely done. I've had that luck too, where the 1st adjustment works just enough and no further adjustment is needed.

Keep in mind that the accuracy will eventually drift. I find that if I adjust mine in the warmer months, they lose some time in the colder ones. And if I adjust them in the cold months, they gain in the warmer months. The ideal is to get it spot on at the equinox, then tolerate a little loss and a little gain in certain times of the year.
    Xevious, I hadn't thought about the impact of weather, but it makes sense given that these modules are temperature sensitive but not thermo-compensated. I adjusted mine in the Canadian Fall, that short period of time between sticky hot and ice cold, so I guess I hit the sweet spot :)

Quote Originally Posted by spidercrab View Post
    Can anyone confirm what direction of rotation decreases the time on a 1545 module?

Well that depends. I have two dw5000sl with 1545 modules and one slows by turning clockwise, the other anti clockwise ! Strange.

Thanks! Great information!

Thread Information