Advice on AW-590 or other G-Shock

Thread: Advice on AW-590 or other G-Shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on AW-590 or other G-Shock

I'm looking to buy a sporty/durable watch for outdoor activity. I'd like it to have many features and be tough as nails, so I naturally turned to G-Shock. I have an affinity for analog hands, so it will need to be ana/digi. I might as well just list out my criteria:

1. Analog/Digital
    2. Resin, Rubber, Nylon, or Synthetic Strap (something that will do well with water and sweat, and dry quickly)
    3. Stopwatch, Alarm(s), Timer (with repeat function)
    4. Under $100

The AW-590-1A has really caught my eye. It has all the features I'm looking for, and I'm drawn to the style -- I think the red hour hand and contrasting bezel layers are striking (I also like the metal buttons).

If there are any owners of this watch reading, I'd like to ask your opinion about a couple of concerns I have...

1. Is it hard to read the digital display positioned at 3:00? For all the functions that display handles, it seems a bit small. If the minute hand is blocking it, is it even viewable?
    2. I've heard the backlight is only useful for lighting up the analog hands, leaving all the digital displays unreadable in the dark. Is this true? What's your impression of the lumination?

I think I've looked at every ana/digi G-Shock that exists. Of the ones that meet my criteria, I like the style of the AW-590 the best. However, please feel free to make some suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Advice on AW-590 or other G-Shock

Are your shure about the auto repeat timer?
    The are few ana-digis from Casio with this feature.

However the G-300 also has a auto repeat CDT.
    You could also take a look at this model.

Regarding the illumination:
    There are many users complaning about having a illuminated LCD OR analog dial.
    Watches having both are as rare as auto repeat ana-digi watches.
    Try a search here.

I would suggest checking out the AWG100. It is the watch I wear every day. It is light but solid, and it has a very similar style to the 590. I think you would like it.

Also, it's hands are hollow in the middle so it's fairly easy to see the display even when the hand is over it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Are your shure about the auto repeat timer?
    The are few ana-digis from Casio with this feature.
    From what I've read through online descriptions and casio module instructions, every recent g-shock digital countdown timer includes the auto-repeat feature. Pretty handy!

However the G-300 also has a auto repeat CDT.
    You could also take a look at this model.
    The G-300 did make my short list of favorites. I especially liked the green 3AV. In the end, I kept gravitating back to the AW-590 -- the red hour hand keeps popping up in my dreams (I think it's a sign!).

Regarding the illumination:
    There are many users complaning about having a illuminated LCD OR analog dial.
    Watches having both are as rare as auto repeat ana-digi watches.
    Try a search here.
    I'm pretty sure the AW-590 has an LED that shines right from the word "SELECT" at the 7:30 position. From what I've read, it has no LCD illumination in the digital displays -- bummer. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I would suggest checking out the AWG100. It is the watch I wear every day. It is light but solid, and it has a very similar style to the 590. I think you would like it.
    The AWG-100 had caught my eye, being so similar to the AW-590. Essentially, solar and atomic make it more expensive than the AW-590, and are features I can do without (for this watch ). Thanks for the suggestion!

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Your right, there is no LCD illumination in the AW-590.

The AWG-100 doesnt have a repeating CDT.....

have you considered the g304?

manual link

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    have you considered the g304?
    Funny you should mention that one too! That is another one that made my short list. Although, I really like the color of the G-314RL-1AV. As a matter of fact, I'm still pondering it along with the AW-590 and the G-300 suggested by d2mac.

-------------------------------------------- G-300-3AV --------------------------------------------

---------------------- G-314RL-1AV ---------------------- ---------------------- AW-590-1A ----------------------

Oh, decisions, decisions. The true test will be trying them all on. You think Macy's will carry all of these in stock?

Ok -- I finally got a chance to try them all on!

I still like the AW-590-1A a lot.

I like the layout of the G-300-3AV over the G-304 (G-314). The G-300 is much easier to read (especially when the hands of the G-304 obscure the display), and I think it has a little more style (namely, the pronounced second counter at the 9:00 position).

Unfortunately, I realized I wasn't crazy about the negative digital display on the G-300-3AV, and the green color of the face seemed pretty understated. Luckily, I happened to find the G-300 in another color online -- red. It also has a positive digital display.

-------------------- G-300-4AV --------------------

Unfortunately, there aren't many pics of this watch online. And, I'm certain I won't be able to find it in a brick-and-mortar store. So, I won't be able to compare it side-by-side with the AW-590 -- which I still think I like more.

Does anyone here own the G-300-4AV? If so, please post some pics! And let me know how you like it. Cheers.

...pulled the trigger.

I realized the red face is a little outside of my style philosophy. So, I bought the AW-590-1A.

Got a great deal from Amazon... $56.20 (37% off MSRP) with free shipping!

I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Thanks for all the advice. I think in my gut I knew this was the watch I wanted all along. The experienced confirmation was helpful and appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by kingracer; September 16th, 2009 at 03:27.

I'm really attracted to AW590, but keep wondering about these 3 issues:
    (1) Can u tell me what material is the bezel that has the writing "G-Shock" and "Shock Resist" ? I notice it has a metal look, but many Casio use resin/coating on plastic material which result looks like metal, and that is not really good for a "Tough watch".
    (2) How about the crystal, is it a hard mineral crystal or is it acrylic?
    (3) Have u read the manual in the calendar section? Is it pre-programmed to year 2039 or is it 2099?
    Thanx a lot for your help, pal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information