Advice for a First Time G shock purchase...

Thread: Advice for a First Time G shock purchase...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice for a First Time G shock purchase...

Hello,

I am new to G shocks and want to buy one within the next few months (currently out of the country). I personally would like to have just one but I know how quick that can change . Any advice on one particular model that you would own? I prefer solar, atomic and a stealth look, preferably not bigger than 44mm and loaded with features. I found these two pics on this forum. Thanks once again for your time.

GW 7900

GW 9200

Re: Advice for a First Time G shock purchase...

I'm also new and in search. The 7900 is going to be way past your 44mm mark, and i believe the other is going to be larger then tha too.

Wait for some better advice, but what i'm hearing is 6600, 6900 or mudman. Those seem to be what people recommend for 1st time g's.

*edit*
    some quick checking and i think, unless the 3 sites i've stumbled on, the 7900 is 50-52mm
    Last edited by archi2this; October 1st, 2009 at 23:00.

Those two are really nice. The 7900 is a big monster though. The Riseman is packed with features and is big, but not overwhelming. The GW-9200 Riseman is packed with features and I don't think it's ever disappointed anyone.

That MIMB black one is amazing and my recent favorite. The only downside is they're currently only available in Japan. Unless they get released in other markets they will become even rarer soon. The negative display doesn't work well for some, but that's currently the most readable one ever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Honestly it doesn't matter!
    You'll end up buying both (plus more eventually) so pick the one that "creams your twinkie" the most, don't think twice and pull the trigger.
    Welcome to G's and post some pics when it arrives.
    Happy hunting,
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Artego Caribbean, 300M
    Casio (too many G's)
    Dagaz(Zero I),
    Gruppo Gamma MK III Vanguard
    Omega(2254.50 SMP)
    Seiko(1G custom Monster, custom 6309)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

I would not recommend a reverse display for your first G unless you just want it to look cool and not be able to read it all the time.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

I fell like I gravitating towards the Riseman model. Is there anywhere I can go to try one on? Pro/cons of getting the negative display versus a traditional Riseman? Thanks once again.

The only con as regards positive v negative is that the negative is inherently less legible. Going be previous threads on the new negative models, inlcluding that GW-9200, no one has found this to be serious problem but it is what it is - you're making a minor sacrifice for the look.

GW-9200 is a flat out great watch whatever variant you get.

g9100......less expensive and well rugged rust resist
    watches are meant to tell times..

Your best option is to look at wrist shots the GW9200 in some of the other threads. I think you will find it somewhat smaller than you imagine, especially once you get it on your wrist. If you can give up a bit of stealth, the standard GW9200 can be had for under 150, and is a great G shock to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseMenofGotham View Post
    Hello,

I am new to G shocks and want to buy one within the next few months (currently out of the country). I personally would like to have just one but I know how quick that can change . Any advice on one particular model that you would own? I prefer solar, atomic and a stealth look, preferably not bigger than 44mm and loaded with features. I found these two pics on this forum. Thanks once again for your time.

GW 7900

GW 9200

I have had two solar g's. One was the gw5600 and then the g91, or something like that. Both died within 1.5 years. I highly recommend buying non- solar. As far as atomic-these watches will not gain 1 minute over a year and a half. The atomic is pretty much a gimmick as well. If I were you I would buy your basic dw5600 and see how you like it. It is only 36 bucks on amazon. Other than that, I usually wear the g7710, which is another great, cheap watch. I just ordered the g7800 and I hope that I like it. The 7700's are very comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information