advice needed : Gshock with serious diving capabilities

Thread: advice needed : Gshock with serious diving capabilities

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

advice needed : Gshock with serious diving capabilities

Need an idea for a present. This friend of mine is an avid diver,a motorcycle rider and softair player,but while bikes and guns takes secondary places,he just cannot live without diving and he just fell in love with my Gshock.

Any suggestion ??

Re: advice needed : Gshock with serious diving capabilities

The Frogman is your best bet, as it is the only G-Shock truly intended for divers.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Pretty much any G will do unless he's a saturation diver.

Frogman is the only ISO-rated diver, which I'm sure he'd appreciate. Your wallet may not though!

If you're on a budget, I would recommend a 5-button G. Something like the Mudman or a DW-6900 or GW-6900.
    They're as tough as a Frogman for any dive up to scuba - but with the airsoft I would prefer the light button at the front.
    Much easier to operate with gloves on (also one of the reasons they're so popular in the armed forces).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Serious diving capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
    Need an idea for a present. This friend of mine is an avid diver,a motorcycle rider and softair player,but while bikes and guns takes secondary places,he just cannot live without diving and he just fell in love with my Gshock.

Any suggestion ??
    Check out my past thread postings with lots of US navy pics.....if these guys aren't serious divers, then who is? You'll notice on these pics that some are EOD, so they work with BOMBS! I don't see any Frogmans in these pics...It looks like these guys are wearing the everyday business models you find in your local store.

Even this pathfinder, which is not a "diver"

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=291734

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=288167

Cool Re: advice needed : Gshock with serious diving capabilities

I dive for a living. These days it's mostly shallow (300 ft.) or above. I do u/w welding, ndt, etc. I've never run into anything a g shock won't handle. Years ago most of us started wearing g's when we had our Seiko's in for battery changes. We found they were just as tough (or tougher) than our analogs. I have never seen one of my co-workers wearing a Frogman. These days it's alot of the mudman series or 6900's you see on the water. I would say any g shock you purchase would more than do the job for sport diving. Good luck.

Re: Serious diving capabilities?

There is one little problem with your logic - navy guys aren't regular divers. They could get away with stuff that recreational or even professional divers would not. In addition to their extremely team oriented training they have crazy surface support with a doctor, on-board deco chamber and a helicopter nearby. Not to mention they usually know the real limits of their bodies, such as max ppo2 - something rec divers just do not test.

Also, the amount of dives they do probably kills the watch fairly soon. So it wouldn't make sense for them to spend money on it.

So I wouldn't necessarily look towards navy divers to make my equipment choices.

Although, I basically agree that frogman, while really cool, doesn't have any real advantages over any other g-shock. It doesn't have a depth meter so it's a dive watch just in name.

Quote Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
    Check out my past thread postings with lots of US navy pics.....if these guys aren't serious divers, then who is? You'll notice on these pics that some are EOD, so they work with BOMBS! I don't see any Frogmans in these pics...It looks like these guys are wearing the everyday business models you find in your local store.

Argee ! Here is another real life proofing : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quote Originally Posted by diverxtc View Post
    There is one little problem with your logic - navy guys aren't regular divers. They could get away with stuff that recreational or even professional divers would not. In addition to their extremely team oriented training they have crazy surface support with a doctor, on-board deco chamber and a helicopter nearby. Not to mention they usually know the real limits of their bodies, such as max ppo2 - something rec divers just do not test.

Also, the amount of dives they do probably kills the watch fairly soon. So it wouldn't make sense for them to spend money on it.

So I wouldn't necessarily look towards navy divers to make my equipment choices.

Although, I basically agree that frogman, while really cool, doesn't have any real advantages over any other g-shock. It doesn't have a depth meter so it's a dive watch just in name.
    Oh, absolutely, I would agree that naval divers have training, physical abilities, and support that can be way beyond what a rec diver has – of course. But that does not preclude using a g shock for what gettocard’s friend is looking for.
    Doing airsoft, riding, and diving seem very compatible. Not all the guys in the pics are divers. You can wear a g shock banging around on a ship, doing maintenance work, going to the commissary, or flying in a super hornet down the catapult. It’s reasonable that if non diving navy folks are using them doing these activities, maybe his friend can for his activities (he wants a g shock after all). I would agree that the price of the gshock (on top of its capability) makes it especially suitable for being a bang up watch. If his friend takes a spill and gets road rash on his sub or marinemaster 300 we’re talking a different level of ouch vs road rashing his g shock.

These guys aren't naval divers, but gshocks suit them fine.

Guys I have to tell you,I'm pretty much brainstormed now but at the same time your fantastic pics proved one point : when a tough job is called,it ain't not Rolex stuff !! With all the due respect for Rolex,of course ( I own 4 of them,but 90% of my wrist time is Gshock !! )

I've posted before about the only professional diver I know, a chap who also does water stunt safety for the BBC, wears an old DW-5600.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information