Advice on old quartz watches

Thread: Advice on old quartz watches

opc

Advice on old quartz watches

Sorry, not really G-shock related but I've been digging out some of my old watches this evening and have counted 7 quartz watches that have dead batteries in them. One only went a couple of weeks ago, but the others have been dead for anything between 5-20 years.

The oldest, a Casio J-51W has a big black mark where the liquid has bleed onto the face, so I guess this watch is dead.

My main questions though are:-

A) I would like to get some new batteries fitted to some of them (mainly 3 old Casio running watches), but as they have had dead batteries in them for so long, could that have damaged the watches?

B) Is it worth removing the dead batteries from the other watches that I don't want to put new batteries in?

Re: Advice on old quartz watches

The J-51 is probably toast but it may work, after a fashion, with a fresh battery. As to the other questions:
    A) Old batteries might have damaged the watches if they either leaked (and the battery acid damaged components) or if they reversed a charge back into the watch. I'm not sure how this works - or even if I worded it correctly - but it can happen.
    B) Best bet is to always remove dead batteries from LCD watches.

opc

Thanks. I'll probably take them all to a shop and get the batteries changed in the ones I want to work and get the batteries removed from the other ones I'm not bothered about using at the moment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

Yes, get the dead batteries out of them as they sometimes leak and can corrode the terminals. This goes for all quartz watches, not just LCD.

If the terminals are clean when you remove the battery, I would expect them to work just fine with a new one. If they are crudded up, you can try cleaning it out and then it is 50/50. Just depends on how deep the damage is.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    Yes, get the dead batteries out of them as they sometimes leak and can corrode the terminals. This goes for all quartz watches, not just LCD.

If the terminals are clean when you remove the battery, I would expect them to work just fine with a new one. If they are crudded up, you can try cleaning it out and then it is 50/50. Just depends on how deep the damage is.
    yeah
    watches are meant to tell times..

Thread Information