After much debate...................
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: After much debate...................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

After much debate...................

I finally decided to go with my guy instinct and follow my minimalist yearnings, and decided to ulta-downgrade my Shocks. After originally owning and wearing a DW6900 for over a decade, I then went on a hunt to find the "perfect" Shock - only after finally breaking the 6900. That journey led me to purchase and sell well over twenty or so different Shocks, Pathfinders, Suuntos, etc. All were distinctly different in some way or another - size, functions, bands, material, etc - with all having some good and some bad qualities. This led to a constant "flipping" of watches, with usually somewhere between one to three or so in the collection at one time.

The problem being is, that no matter what I purchased I could always find a reason to justify purchasing a different Shock not soon after. This over consumption and constant flipping has finally taken a toll on me - and I've decided to follow my true minimalist ways. No more having more than one watch, no more justification of "fluff" functions that I don't need, no more over consumption. With all this being said: let me introduce you to my most recent purchase:

The super rare, often coveted, lady impressing, trend setting, geek cred approved: DW-5600! This baby was SUPER hard to find, and even more expensive. I had to physically drive almost twenty whole minutes to the local mom and pop shop, and had to lay down a WHOPPING $41 USD! (Don't be jealous, I'm kind of rich - I know $41 USD is kind of a big deal to most people). After purchasing said Shock and wearing it out of the store, I noticed a couple things: First off, how completely satisfied I was with it's lack of functions and fluff. Secondly, I had a super model walk up to me and offer her hand in marriage....... but she said I had to agree to wear the Shock to the wedding. Weird, huh? I told her I was happily married and moved on. Back to the Shock.

Since most of you on here are not rich enough to be able to afford such a luxury time piece, let me give you a quick review of this bad boy. What is does do is: tell the time / has one alarm / has a count down timer / has a stop watch / has a light. What is does NOT do is: does not have solar power / does not receive atomic time updates from one to six towers located throughout the world / does not tell me high / low tide / does not tell me the moon phase / does not give me compass bearings / does not have pushers cased in mud resistant housings / does not have a screw back / does not have DLC coating / does not have an auto light / does not have a rally timer / does not have world time / does not have five alarms / does not have strap adapters with a Maratac Zulu / does not have bull bars / does not have an altimeter / does not have a thermometer / does not have dive functions / does not have a composite bracelet / and does not have six motor analog hands! This baby is streamlined and simple. It is not huge, but not small. It is not fancy, but is elegant in it's simplicity. It has what I need, and nothing that I want.

And before someone mentions it, "why didn't you get another DW-6900?"........ two words: extra circles! I loved my 6900, but I was going for simple. The mere fact that the three eyes actually do nothing was my deterrent. Simple is good, and I do not need the three battery sucking circles. And as for the three remaining extra Shocks: they are finding new homes! I cannot justify having two, let alone four. The 7900 is being given to my engineer (he fishes a lot and can use the tide graph), the Muddy is being given to a friend, and the King is going to be sold. They will find better homes where they can get daily use - as Shocks should be. They were made to work, and I hated seeing them sit on the shelf.

Later today I'll post a comparison pic of the 5600 vs the King.

A worrying dream my friend

Good u remembered so much when u woke up.

:eek:
    Please

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew&7 View Post
    A worrying dream my friend

Good u remembered so much when u woke up.

:eek:
    Please

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    No dream my friend....... Just living the dream!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: After much debate...................

everthing else is practice is what I have learned,and subscribe to the KISS theory(keep it simple st**id.after having owned a lot of Exotic G models,many of which were JDM examples i.e. atomic Frogman,atomic Mudman,atomic Gulfman,atomic THIS man,I realized that the simple square,weather its a DW-5600E,5600C,5200C is in fact perfection personified.my head was swimming from week to week plotting my next aquistion when I finally concluded the Iconic 5XXX series with positive display in any color as long as it was black was my ultimate G.as much as I love my GW-5000 I recieve equal satisfaction from strapping on my basic type 1 5600E.it has time in all modes,brighter EL,auto flash,light as a feather,tough as nails,easy batt switchouts,and 50.00 at your local whatever,the submariner of digital watches.
    CHEERS
    john
    carlfrak and dobber72 like this.

this was AWESOME

Carlfrak, you are just awesome and i'm glad you're here. Enjoy your favorite watch and just carry on with your bad self! Have a great Independence Day!
    carlfrak likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by blondygirl69 View Post
    everthing else is practice is what I have learned,and subscribe to the KISS theory(keep it simple st**id.after having owned a lot of Exotic G models,many of which were JDM examples i.e. atomic Frogman,atomic Mudman,atomic Gulfman,atomic THIS man,I realized that the simple square,weather its a DW-5600E,5600C,5200C is in fact perfection personified.my head was swimming from week to week plotting my next aquistion when I finally concluded the Iconic 5XXX series with positive display in any color as long as it was black was my ultimate G.as much as I love my GW-5000 I recieve equal satisfaction from strapping on my basic type 1 5600E.it has time in all modes,brighter EL,auto flash,light as a feather,tough as nails,easy batt switchouts,and 50.00 at your local whatever,the submariner of digital watches.
    CHEERS
    john
    Very. Well. Said!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    Carlfrak, you are just awesome and i'm glad you're here. Enjoy your favorite watch and just carry on with your bad self! Have a great Independence Day!
    Thanks. At least my crazy minimalism is cool to some. Now can you convince my wife too!?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

You did the right thing, you did a good thing. I'm sure many of us will envy you being happy with only one G and never have to go through hassle which one to wear (serious, this is not meant to be sarcastic). Though I don't have a DW-5600E myself, it is an excellent choice. Many things this timepiece can't do but more important some things it can (and most others cannot): current time in cdt and stw mode, cdt settable to the second is far more useful for daily tasks than gadgets like moon/tide phase etc.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Carlfrak, you have found the answer to the problem of 'too much of a good thing' :)

I love the 5600 too. If I can ever find the willpower to only have one G, it will be a 5600 with 1545 module.

PS: it was NICE thing you did for a fellow firefighter in the other thread. *Salute*!

---

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information