afterglow ???????

Thread: afterglow ???????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

afterglow ???????

I have a gw-6900-1 and module 3179, the specs say it has something called afterglow. I can't find it in the manual, what is it and what does it do.

Thanks

Re: afterglow ???????

It's just the time the light stays on after you press the button.

Cheers, Sedi

What specs are calling it "afterglow?" I don't think that's an official Casio term, but Google is finding the phrase in places like Amazon shopping descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    It's just the time the light stays on after you press the button.
    On this model and many others, the wearer can select the duration of illumination, as well -- on the GW-6900, either 1.5 or 3 seconds!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I remember seeing this written on the Vito stats as well, it is an official term, it even had me wondering what it was...I thought maybe after the backlight goes off it still glows slightly or something..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afterglow.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	1324321

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    I remember seeing this written on the Vito stats as well, it is an official term, it even had me wondering what it was...I thought maybe after the backlight goes off it still glows slightly or something..
    You're right, it IS an official Casio term! I found it on this Louie Vito collab page as well: Casio Enhances Its Exclusive Line of G-SHOCK Watches in Twisted Metal

"Full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; LED light (Super Illuminator) with afterglow; selectable illumination duration: 1.5 or 3.0 seconds"

The way that's written makes it sound like it's not the light itself.

Now I'm wondering too -- I know my DW-6600's glow VERY brightly for several seconds after using their very bright EL, my other G's do as well but very faintly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    You're right, it IS an official Casio term! I found it on this Louie Vito collab page as well: Casio Enhances Its Exclusive Line of G-SHOCK Watches in Twisted Metal

"Full auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; LED light (Super Illuminator) with afterglow; selectable illumination duration: 1.5 or 3.0 seconds"

The way that's written makes it sound like it's not the light itself.

Now I'm wondering too -- I know my DW-6600's glow VERY brightly for several seconds after using their very bright EL, my other G's do as well but very faintly.
    that's what I was thinking as well.. what Sedi wrote in the post above would come under the Selectable Illumination Duration thing.. the fact that they wrote afterglow as a different feature had me thinking its something else as well..

I can't find anything about it in the manual..

I have the watch strapped on now, and there is no afterglow as far as I can tell.. weird.

See where my confusion came from. I as well thought it was something that glowed after the light went out. Maybe it is just talking about how long the light stays on after you release the button instead of just going out after you release the button.

Thanks

The term "Afterglow" has led to more confusion in the past. It is indeed what Sedi says. Just the duration of the EL light, without having your finger pressed on the light button the whole time. If you are used to it, you won't like digital watches that only light up as long as you press the button. Some models also show a very faint fading glow after using the EL. It can only be observed in a very dark surrounding. This is not the afterglow. It's just some left over energy of the EL panel fading probably.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thanks, Sjors!

Casio should probably just call it "illumination duration" and stop confusing the customers.

The original 5000 (and shortly later, the 5600's) had an incandescent bulb that was only lit as long as the button was held down. Now the backlight latches digitally for a period; hence the term "afterglow."
    Life is short. Drink good beer.

"Never try to outstubborn a cat.” -- Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information