Airport x-ray and the GWM-5610
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Airport x-ray and the GWM-5610

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Airport x-ray and the GWM-5610

Will airport x-ray screening bother my GWM-5610? My family and I are planning a trip the Salt Lake city and then to San Francisco and I want to wear my 5610. How will hotel rooms affect the syncing process? I know I have to set Denver for Mountain time an Los Angeles for Pacific time.

Re: Airport x-ray and the GWM-5610

It wouldn't affect your watch. The scanners have never affected any of my watches at all, including those with the same module as yours.

As for the sync, it should not affect it from receiving a signal. You're going to be receiving the same signal from the same tower in the US (Colorado), so you'll perhaps, at worst, have to find the best orientation in the room to receive the signal. If you normally have the watch facing west, you may have to face it east toward the tower.
    Mike K likes this.
    G-Shocks:
    DW-5000-1JF (w/ 5030 display) <-Daily Wearer
    GW-5000-1JF |DW-5600E | DW-5000-1JF (x2) <-Ya know...for backup...
    DW-5030 | DW-5000SL (x2) | DW-6900...something.

Got Square!?

Just beside the metro station...not far from from the dep.

My GW 9600 has been through airport security a few times. No problems. I'm currently vacationing in Scottsdale AZ and it syncs every night on the bedroom night table. Hope that helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The extra metal and plumbing and wiring in hotels MIGHT interfere with the synching process, or they MIGHT also work as an antenna to boost the signal. You'll find out when you get there. As sticktodrum mentioned, you'll be CLOSER to the tower in Ft. Collins than you are at home, so the signal should be stronger.

Even in the worst case scenario, if you can't get a signal AT ALL anywhere on your vaction, your watch should still be accurate to +/- 15 seconds a month without a synch. Unless your vacation is going to last four months, your watch will still be closer to the correct time than a lot of people's watches.
    sticktodrum and nigelw like this.

I am always trying to get through the airport security wearing my watch.

I mean, I don't mind emptying my pockets, undoing my belt, even removing my shoes is all right, just don't touch my watch.

Most of the time I am successfull, but sometimes (usually at a small airport) I am not and they make me remove it; which I always hate.

But the X-ray shouldn't do any harm to it; if laptops, mobile phones and all the electronics are going through it and they are fine, so should the watch.

As for the new location, yeah, you will have to see how the reception in that particular area, building and room is...

Salt Lake City is totally close to Fort Collins so you should be fine unless there is some funny shielding in the building or something, and San Francisco seems to be not much more than 1000 km from Fort Collins so that should be fine too.

Myself, wherever I go, I keep my watch always on my wrist. In the worst case I find a nice park during the day, sit on a bench, launch manual sync and stay motionless for a couple of minutes :D

I haven't flown in the last 10 years, so forgive my ignorance, but can't you opt out of the x-ray scanner? And isn't that always a good thing to do because of the harm to your body?

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    I haven't flown in the last 10 years, so forgive my ignorance, but can't you opt out of the x-ray scanner? And isn't that always a good thing to do because of the harm to your body?
    MOST studies show that the "harm to the body" is extremely negligible compared to the rest of the other radiation people are exposed to while on an airplane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backsc...Health_effects

According to Bloomberg, though, the TSA planned to remove all of the "X-ray scanners" from airports in 2014 -- so IF they did, it's a moot point anyhow: Naked-Image Scanners to Be Removed From U.S. Airports - Bloomberg Business

Thanks for all the help.

Oh. X-ray I was referring to was the one that scans your hand luggage and everything you put on the conveyor belt.

Then you walk through a kind of a frame, which I believed was just a metal detector -- is that one emitting radiation as well? (I am talking about European airports, I haven't been to the US.)

I think you will probably receive more radiation from a cell phone or microwave than you would from a scanner at the airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information