Alarm Sound Volume
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buzzbait

Thread: Alarm Sound Volume

Alarm Sound Volume

I recently viewed an DW6900 review on YouTube.
    This guy manages a great channel, IMO is the best Casio channel. If you want to have a tour, search for fwupow.
    By the way, here's the question: do you think the 80's and 90's models had a higher volume? And why the GW5000 gas such a low volume?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Re: Alarm Sound Volume

Quote Originally Posted by Dareius View Post
    By the way, here's the question: do you think the 80's and 90's models had a higher volume? And why the GW5000 gas such a low volume?
    None of my G-Shocks have exceptionally loud alarm volumes, but until I got my GW-5000, my G-Shock with the lowest volume was my venerable DW-5600C. So low volumes are nothing new to G-Shock. It's just that Casio, for some bazaar reason, decided to lower the bar even further with the 3159 module. I have no idea what possessed them to do it. Canine focus groups reporting that they had no issues hearing their alarms?
    Rocat likes this.

A higher volume would ne perfect for all currently models.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IMO the alarm volume depends very much on the construction of the watch. For example - the G-9000, GLS-5600, GLS-5500 and G-7900 all have basically the same module but the alarm volume is different - the loudest being the G-7900 - I tested it with a sound meter app on my cellphone which read 78db - don't really know if that is very reliable though. Some of the newer solar models seem to be louder than older ones - the G-9300, GX-56 and GW-9400 are all pretty loud compared to some other models like the GW-9200 Riseman. And one of my loudest is the cheapo W-S200.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    IMO the alarm volume depends very much on the construction of the watch. For example - the G-9000, GLS-5600, GLS-5500 and G-7900 all have basically the same module but the alarm volume is different - the loudest being the G-7900 - I tested it with a sound meter app on my cellphone which read 78db - don't really know if that is very reliable though. Some of the newer solar models seem to be louder than older ones - the G-9300, GX-56 and GW-9400 are all pretty loud compared to some other models like the GW-9200 Riseman. And one of my loudest is the cheapo W-S200.

cheers, Sedi
    I agree that the loudness depends on the construction and not on the module.My G W-S5600 ,which shares the 3159 module with GW5000,is pretty adequate for me.The sound is more acute in comparisson to GW5000...

In my experience, the cheaper non-G-shock Casio's have pretty loud alarms. My 13 dollar-ish A158W is much louder than all of my G-shocks. I think its cheap construction allows for greater audio output.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I believe it is a combination of the module and the casing. I have a GW-M5600BC, which is reputed to have the same volume level as the GW-M5610... that has the 3159 module. That's a hardened resin casing with a 4-screw back plate. The GW-5000 has a stainless steel case. Alarm decibel levels have been reported to be about the same.

I have a G-7900 and the alarm level is OK. The GD-350 seems to be slightly better. Still... in comparison to the G-3010/3011, they're all rather faint.

There's a model that Sjors owns, which has a cacophony of alarm tones. It's supposed to be pretty loud and is a non-solar watch. CASIO is definitely capable of producing loud alarm tones. It's just that their product management leaders don't seem to see it as a priority. The modules are capable to attenuating the voltage/amperage to the piezo speaker in order to produce different tones. So theoretically, CASIO could provide a user selection menu, giving the owner several choices in alarm tone frequencies and strength. I will keep saying it whenever I can, in hopes that someone from CASIO might start taking notice...
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

It really varies from watch to watch even in the same model. I have had some 80's g-shocks that are whisper quiet and others (the same model) that you can hear 20 feet away. Many factors like the battery life, speaker condition, compression of alarm spring, cleanliness of contacts play a role.

Thread Information