All in one vacation watch - GMW-B5000?
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: All in one vacation watch - GMW-B5000?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

All in one vacation watch - GMW-B5000?

Later on in the year I will be travelling from Europe to California for a month on vacation. I have a small and humble watch collection which is made up of watches I have purchased for different occasions and scenarios. Formal, sport, smart causal etc. None of them however are really suitable to cross over and suit the purpose of the other.

For this vacation (and others beyond) I would like to travel light and take just one watch. One that suits for the travelling, dual time once there, accurate, for by a pool, at the beach, out for the day and not that I would call it formal but a little more smart casual on occasions in the evening. Whether that be jeans and a T-shirt or chino shorts / t-shirt for example.

I have my eye on the GMW-B5000 for this purpose. Do you think this would be a good choice?

My only slight concern is that it doesn't have sapphire crystal. For those that have and wear this watch, is that an issue or does the bezel keep most things away from the glass?

Name:  99642..png
Views: 389
Size:  411.8 KB
    Defender likes this.

Re: All in one vacation watch - GMW-B5000?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
    You might check this thread out, especially if you have a android phone..
    Also do you want both time zones on screen at the same time?

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
    You might check this thread out, especially if you have a android phone..
    Also do you want both time zones on screen at the same time?

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I have an iPhone with the latest version of iOS. Are there any known issues with this?

Regarding the time zones, ideally yes but if I have to push a button to view the home time I don’t mind. Are both at the same time possible?
    Defender likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The GMW-B5000 does show both time zones at once. In World Time mode, the upper right for matrix area shows Home Time while the large lower digits show the second city timezone.

Name:  AFD2AD26-3205-48A2-86CE-DB506094D1FF.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  111.3 KB
    From the manual PDF - https://support.casio.com/storage/en...009/qw3461.pdf
    Slm643, yankeexpress and Defender like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zack20cb View Post
    The GMW-B5000 does show both time zones at once. In World Time mode, the upper right for matrix area shows Home Time while the large lower digits show the second city timezone.

Name:  AFD2AD26-3205-48A2-86CE-DB506094D1FF.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  111.3 KB
    From the manual PDF - https://support.casio.com/storage/en...009/qw3461.pdf
    Thank you, that seems ideal.

I would still like to hear views from owners if this is a good choice for my purpose and if non sapphire has proved to be an issue.
    Defender likes this.

I like the concept of the thread as I often think of this when I travel. I like to travel as lite as possible and that means one watch from my small assembly as well. Casio always gets the nod and since I have gotten my Rangeman 9400 it has filled my vacation watch role. I like it in that role due to its multitude of functions and my ever-present what if thinking. Having a compass and barometer come in handy for weather and general navigation and orientation in unfamiliar territory. The dual times in world time make it convenient for knowing what time it is back home. If your in mountainous terrain the altimeter is fun to play with. I took mine up Pikes Peak in Colorado a couple of years ago. I think it was pretty accurate, it said I was high. lol The toughness and water resistance is always a plus. I tend not to care about smart casual however I think among the cerebral people of which I like to think I am one fashion points are never detracted by smart apparel, of which I consider any Casio as long as its not some real loud color. The Gshock you have picked out however I think will serve you well. Its got a good module and its Gshock so it should get anyone through a month anywhere. Enjoy your vacation and post pics of whatever is on your wrist on this this adventure . I am leaving on a week or so of travel next week and in the same thought process.

The bezel does a great job of protecting the crystal. I wouldn’t worry too much about it and certainly wouldn’t let that hinder me from buying this great watch - it’s arguably my favorite model to date

If the crystal issue really bothers you, I’m sure some bull bars will be developed sooner or later for this model although I think that would take away a certain look but at least it’ll give you peace of mind

These watches are very tough, even tough the crystal is not sapphire I don’t think you will have any issues banging it from time to time, as you say the bezel should take most of the hits.

If your plan is outdoors, beaches, and want to be light and sporty, why don’t consider the one with the resin brand. I own both and o think the resin brand should fit more your travel needs. For me it is more comfortable.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Defender likes this.

I did look at this also as I am sure the steel bracelet will get scratched to pieces over time. My personal issue though is I don't really like resin bands or the negative display.

Understand, then maybe this will be the solution for your needs? Not a perfect one but a close one. Already released in japan. Not sure if in Europe or USA.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    FROG, kevio and Defender like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information