Almost each one in my collection has a story
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jun0

Thread: Almost each one in my collection has a story

Picture Almost each one in my collection has a story

I have only been collecting G-Shocks for a short amount of time compared to most people here in this forum but in the short amount of time, I have picked up some interesting models. Some of the models that I have picked up have had some interesting stories like the missing box for my Eric Haze GA-110 or my army green GX56 that seemed to have gotten lost several times getting to me. In my hunting in physical stores, I have found some interesting finds and my latest is no different. Let me back up a bit to explain.

In joining WUS, I noticed that some people tend to have a favorite model and collect multiple variations of that model. I am one of them and my model is the GA-110. I love an analog and digital watch and once I bought my first one, I was hooked. Currently, I have 11 different variations of the GA-110 and they almost make up half my collection. The other half consists of higher end models such as a 1000 series Frogman and GW-A1000 to name a couple. One model that I have never owned nor really took much interest in is the DW/G-6900. However this changed a few months ago.

I was at a mall in an area where I used to live and I decided to take a look around at the offerings that some of the stores had in terms of a G-Shock selection. This is a very high end mall so the stores were pretty much limited to Macy's and Nordstroms but I checked both since they were there. Macy's didn't have anything interesting but Nordstroms did. I noticed behind the counter that there was a DW-6900CB-8 sitting there and I had been looking for a gray or silver resin G-Shock for awhile but something looked a little off about it. I asked to see it and up close I noticed some major problems. First thing I noticed was the one of the corners on the face, there was a major blemish that I though in the case could have been a reflection from light. I was wrong, it was a pretty large chip. The next thing I noticed when turning the watch over was there was what appeared to be sweat marks on the caseback and wristband. But that was not it. The final thing I noticed was the G-Shock tag was gone and it was replaced with just a generic barcode attached to the clasp. I asked the person working if they had any others in stock and unfortunately they did not. I left without it but checked out what was online when I got home, although I do not use ebay and do prefer to pick up my watches in person whenever possible. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything for a reasonable price so I had put picking one of those up on the back burner.

A little over a month ago, I was visiting a friend up the coast and hit up a mall on my way back home in an area I was not that familiar with and checked out the larger stores first to see what they had. Again, I did not find anything that I could not pick up at a store closer to where I work or live until I was about to leave. I stopped into a small watch store that was near the Macy's and they had quite a decent collection of watch brands, not only a fantastic G collection. I noticed in the G-Shock section, they had the elusive DW6900CB-8 that I was unable to pick up months before. However, I did not pick it up when I saw it. I was waiting on the anniversary models to come out and picked up an additional model for my B-Day up shortly after. Two weeks ago, I got bored and decided to make the drive back up to that mall to see if they still had one available. Not expecting them to have it, I walked in the door and took a look. To my surprise, it was still there and I picked it up immediately. In addition to picking it up, for retail might I add ($99), I found out that they had a total of three in stock and I was able to get the one that was still completely wrapped. So without further delay here are some shots of G-Shock #22 in my collection, the DW-6900CB-8 Silver/Pink:

G-fob and Chrisek like this.
    My Collection
    Citizen: Skyhawk Blue Angels Edition
    Nixon: 51-30 Chrono
    G-Shock: DW-6900 x3, DW-6930 (Basel) x1,G-001 x1, GA-100 x2, GA-110 x16 (2 Collabs: Maharishi & Eric Haze), GD-350 x2, GDF-100 x1, GD-X6900 x2, GR-7900 x1, GW-5510 x1, GX56 x2, Riseman G-9200 x2, Mudman G-9300 x2, G-9330 (Rising Red) x1, GW-9330 (Initial Blue) x1, Frogman GF-1000 x1, Gravity Defier GW-A1000 x2, GW-A1100 x1

Re: Almost each one in my collection has a story

Right on and congrats on the extended purchase. I also try to purchase in person, just run into realities of living on an island.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thread Information