Alternative sources for G-shock modules...?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Alternative sources for G-shock modules...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alternative sources for G-shock modules...?

I've had a G-Shock DW-5600E for a few months now. My first G. Great watch! Lately I've started to read a bunch of mod threads and I got excited about considering my own first mod. However... I've discovered what you all already know: modules are no longer available to end users.

PacParts is out...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    About a year or so ago, for no apparent reason that we have been able to figure out, Pacparts started listing EVERY G-Shock module as "RESTRICTED PART CONTACT FACTORY SERVICE CENTER," as in this part list for that watch: Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc.
    See also:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gwm...l#post21427482
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pac...p-1774194.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pac...s-1942097.html

Other sources also seem dry:
    - TikTox was suggested in a few threads, but they no longer seem to stock modules, either. Searching turned up only a couple of Casio modules for non-G models.
    - eBay was also a dead end. I couldn't find any of the modules I searched for.
    - Googling turned up nothing.

Has anyone discovered a source for modules? Something from HK, Singapore, or China for example?

If not, what sources are you using instead? Buying complete watches and scavenging parts? Waiting for that one model with the part you need to show up used on eBay?

Or is G-shock modding now in decline, with the parts lockdown?
    Casio | Citizen | HMT | Marathon | Orient | Seiko | Traser | Victorinox Swiss Army

Re: Alternative sources for G-shock modules...?

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    Or is G-shock modding now in decline, with the parts lockdown?
    I'd estimate that at least 90% of the mods around here "just" involve external pieces like bands and bezels, and the occasional "polarity reversal" of the LCD. Even though Casio did a similar "lockdown" of a selected number of bezels and straps, most parts not on that list -- and of course, modules -- are still available. (I'd still love more details on the "resin blacklist" since many of those parts often turn up at Tiktox and on eBay -- just not Pacparts.)

Since most modules used to cost as much as the "actual retail cost" of the complete watch, I don't think many people of the people who were doing "total module transplants" were simply buying the modules. It makes just as much sense to buy another entire complete watch -- then they still have two complete watches and/or can sell one -- or buying a donor watch from eBay.

(And of course, there are the outlying one-percenters who built their own custom watches from the ground up, buying Complete Case Assembly "X" and Module "Y" and custom buttons "Z" from Pacparts, but I can probably count all of those projects on my fingers and have some left over. )

If there ARE any other MAJOR Casio parts sources besides Pacparts, Tiktox, eBay and American Perfit, I'd love to hear about them too!
    Knives and Lint, brahman and Kev55 like this.

Thanks, Mike. Good to know.

Since most modules used to cost as much as the "actual retail cost" of the complete watch, I don't think many people of the people who were doing "total module transplants" were simply buying the modules. It makes just as much sense to buy another entire complete watch -- then they still have two complete watches and/or can sell one -- or buying a donor watch from eBay.
    I didn't realize modules were that close in cost to complete watches. I'm not trying to restore a vintage piece, so knowing I can just buy another watch for not much more than modules used to cost definitely takes away some of the sky is falling feeling.

(And of course, there are the outlying one-percenters who built their own custom watches from the ground up, buying Complete Case Assembly "X" and Module "Y" and custom buttons "Z" from Pacparts, but I can probably count all of those projects on my fingers and have some left over. )
    Yeah, that 1% was what I was shooting for... So the module lockdown issue is probably good for me, as I tend to be overly ambitious and get in over my head. It'll keep me in the realm of the doable.
    Casio | Citizen | HMT | Marathon | Orient | Seiko | Traser | Victorinox Swiss Army

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I too would love it if someone could find a new source. Since the majority of modules I see pop up on Ebay seem to be from overseas, I suspect that they may be available somewhere, and that possibly the restriction on selling modules was limited to the American market (pacparts). That is pure speculation on my part however.

There are definitely some of my past mods that would not have been possible were I not able to procure the modules from pacparts, namely with the Frogman. I can't remember the exact price, but I was previously able to get GWF1000 modules from pacparts for around $80, and I was able to build full watches from parts of discontinued models for under $500. When you see the aftermarket prices of discontinued 1000 series Frogman models you can see that is quite a deal. I certainly would not have had the nerve to go through with my negative Frogman mod were I not using a spare module. I was even able to build this one using the yellow module from the titanium model, something that would be impossible now.

But to answer you question as to the decline of modding, for me the answer is no, though the lack of available modules is quite certainly a hindrance. Luckily, I had a few spare Frogman modules leftover from before, and I have since built one watch from spare parts I had in my parts bin. Other than that, I have been doing as you said, buying complete watches and scavenging them. The good part about this is that you can always make use of all the extra parts like screws, spacers, etc. And yes, I am also always on the lookout for certain models to show up heavily used on Ebay, just to scavange the module. The truth of the matter is, whenever I get an idea I'm gonna do what ever I can to make it a reality, unless the price is just ridiculously cost prohibitive. And as frustrated as I am about the restriction on selling modules, I am equally grateful that we are still able to get the parts we are able to get.

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    I didn't realize modules were that close in cost to complete watches. I'm not trying to restore a vintage piece, so knowing I can just buy another watch for not much more than modules used to cost definitely takes away some of the sky is falling feeling.
    I wish the Internet Archive Wayback Machine had some individual Casio parts pages saved -- I'm not an expert on that site and can't seem to find any today!

Off the top of my head I'm going to guess that the price for a digital "module without movement" was about 60 or 70% of the MSRP price -- and the sum of all the parts for a model ALWAYS added up to much more than the MSRP. And since most G's that are over a year old can be found "new in box" all over Amazon for about 33 to 40% off, it's not like you're really missing out!

Edit: from Knives and Lint's post, I was obviously wrong on the cost of "most" modules -- but the modules on the parts lists that I saw most often were from the somewhat lower-end watches that I was working on, like the GW-6900. I wasn't working on or looking at parts lists of higher-priced Frogmen or Aviators!
    Last edited by Mike K; January 26th, 2016 at 21:29.
    Knives and Lint and brahman like this.

Edit: from Knives and Lint's post, I was obviously wrong on the cost of "most" modules -- but the modules on the parts lists that I saw most often were from the somewhat lower-end watches that I was working on, like the GW-6900. I wasn't working on or looking at parts lists of higher-priced Frogmen or Aviators!
    Exactly. It was only the high cost of the Frogman to begin with that made it economical.

I can't help but wonder if Casio was aware of this practice and frowned upon it, leading to the restriction. Although all of my builds were done for pure fun and my own enjoyment, not for the intention of resale, and I will likely never part with them

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    I can't help but wonder if Casio was aware of this practice and frowned upon it, leading to the restriction. Although all of my builds were done for pure fun and my own enjoyment, not for the intention of resale, and I will likely never part with them
    I wondered the same thing a couple of years earlier when I ordered "Burning Red" resin for my GW-6900-1.

I don't have an exact timeline, but I ordered two bezels (in case one got damaged) and one strap -- after they arrived, I put the pieces on and was quite happy with it for a couple of weeks! Shortly thereafter, I went to eBay to buy a second GW-6900 and in my search of "Casio GW 6900" I happened to see someone else selling a Burning Red-modded watch just like mine for something like $400! I was a little outraged, since I knew it was a $100 watch and about $40 worth of resin -- then I noticed that the same seller was also selling "just" the resin for $200!

I'm all for capitalism and making a buck, but I thought that seller crossed the invisible line between "reselling for a profit" and "gouging the uninformed pretty badly." (Most of "us" know about Pacparts, but obviously not everybody on eBay knows such parts were available.) I thought about buying a couple of resin sets and doing the same thing for a lot less profit, and undercutting one greedy person in particular, but VERY shortly thereafter -- I want to say one month later but it might have been two -- Casio issued their moratorium on CERTAIN semi-rare or collectible bezel sets (linked above) including the RD-4 "Burning Red" line! When Tiktox and other international sellers kept selling them, I wondered if someone at Casio USA had heard about the eBay gouging and done something about it.

Interesting. It was likely before I joined the forum and got back in to G-Shocks that the restriction on certain resins started, so I didn't know the history behind it. I was aware however that those so called "restricted" parts were still available at Tiktox and occasionally on Ebay, so that lends credibility to the theory that the module restriction may be only for the US as well.

To the OP (and anyone else searching for a specific module), it wouldn't hurt to contact Tiktox and see if they are able to source modules. They have often been able to get resin for me that wasn't listed on their site, so they are likely to be able to do that with other parts as well. In my experience they have been great people to deal with, and I'm sure they would be willing to do anything they can to help.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I have a feeling that CASIO wasn't considering the sale of modules as much of a revenue generator, so they didn't enlarge the margin. On some models, I found them quite inexpensive relatively speaking.

But their intention is to service broken watches. Given CASIO reliability, they probably do not produce a high number of these. And then with stock being sucked up by eager hobbyists wanting to modify their watches, they decided to pull access... because they're not geared up for generating parts inventory for that purpose. I understand their point. I think the real problem was due to hoarders... who just wanted to outfit themselves with a plethora of materials from which they could mod G-Shocks to their heart's delight. Plus some tricksters who would try to imitate limited editions and then pawn them off as such.
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

It's interesting to compare this to the world of motorcycles, which I'm more familiar with.

With my 70s Honda, the choices are used, NOS, or aftermarket. It was cheaper for me to buy a non-running parts bike just to scavenge a carburetor than to buy a used OEM or a new aftermarket carb. This sounds like the equivalent of the situation with Casio.

BMW does it right, in my opinion. Though I guess they're positioned more like Omega or Rolex than Casio.You can buy most parts for almost every bike made post-war straight from the source. The BMW unofficial slogan applies: Bring More Wallet. But at least you can get what you need if the used market or aftermarket doesn't fit the bill. In fact, a couple years ago a dealership built an R80G/S from brand new parts. The G/S was discontinued back in 1988. IIRC they needed fewer than 10 substitute or aftermarket parts out of a total of 1600+. It cost a fortune, around $50,000 not including labor, but it was doable.
    domoon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information