Altitude/barometer questions-riseman
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Altitude/barometer questions-riseman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Altitude/barometer questions-riseman

I have a couple of questions regarding the riseman a/b functions. I have set the reference barometer to my current berometer. Will it now adjust to be more accurate as the weather changes. Also wouldn't that make the altimeter more accurate? My location is about 880ft above sea level yet my altitude on the riseman reads 700ft. Before I adjusted to my actual barometric pressure it read 29.05, the actual pressure is 29.95. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?
    Last edited by Raym0016; December 20th, 2012 at 01:30.

Banned

Re: Altitude/barometer questions-riseman

You set everything correctly. I set everything the same way on my Riseman just like you did on yours. The barometric pressure reading on mine is accurate + - .05 which is very close to the actual true barometric reading on the internet for my location.

The altimeter is usually accurate within a few hundred feet. The altimeter on my Riseman can vary by +- 100 to +- 200 feet depending on my location. This is very normal

All your settings are fine. Don't worry.
    Last edited by Tick Toc; December 20th, 2012 at 04:53.

Cool, thanks. So to be clear, the barometer will still adjust, it will just be more accurate now due to setting an accurate reference pressure, correct?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yes, the barometer will be very accurate. It's accuracy will be around +-.05

The altimeter will be accurate within +-100' feet to +-200' feet.

Basically, the barometer will be much more accurate than the altimeter.

I am ok with that. It's flat where I live, but the weather can change in a minute.

Hello all! I would like to provide another way of approaching the subject, from my experience here in the mountains...
    as mountain runners, we use altimeters a lot, to determine where we are, in respect to the summits we run up to, etc..
    Barometric watches like the Riseman, or what we use for running, the Suunto T6 or the Ambit determine the altitude by actually using the
    built-in barometer.
    I guess it depends which value is relevant for you (if you want to know your altitude, or the barometric pressure), but in any case, they are
    linked to each other in a watch like this.
    the way I use a watch like Riseman or Ambit, etc is: calibrate the Altitude at a place where I KNOW the precise Altitude (like my home, or a place on a map.)
    then moving up or down in the mountains or hills, the watch will be able to tell at which altitude I am, because it measures the air pressure and can
    calculate my change in altitude.
    indeed, these measurements can be very precise (at least I know the Suunto altimeters are known for their precision, I have yet to use my G-Shocks a bit more
    for this but imagine they will be doing fine as well.) BUT they are subject to mistakes due to weather changes. when the barometric values change, not due to
    a change in altitude, but due to a weather change, then our altitude measurement will be false.
    thats why we frequently have to re-calibrate our watches, also for example when travelling to another country, or even continent, or simply a few hundred
    miles over land...
    in the use I have for such a device, the air pressure is not interesting as a value, but only as a tool to determine the value I want, that is the altitude.
    when I am stationary for example at home or even in a tent on the montain, and I see after the night that the altitude on the watch has changed, without actually
    moving it, I know from that, that there has been a weather change, or that it is in progress.
    personally I do not have a barometer other than the one in my watch so have no reference for that value. I only use the altitude function.
    But to return to the question at hand, I have just had a look at my GDF-100. It lets me calibrate both altitude and Barometer INDEPENDENTLY!
    So I think, you RISEMAN should be able to do the same..
    Calibrate 1. your Barometer like you have, THEN 2. calibrate your altitude at a location that you KNOW the precise altitude of
    From then on, it should be precise, because the values will be linked to each other.
    but - weather changes will still make it necessary to re-calibrate the altitude, as they will make the watch "believe" that you have moved up or down.
    the watch cannot tell wether you have moved ot wether the airpressure has changed for other reasons...
    Cheers from snow-covered Bavaria!

Cool. Got it dialed in now.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Raym0016 View Post
    I have a couple of questions regarding the riseman a/b functions. I have set the reference barometer to my current berometer. Will it now adjust to be more accurate as the weather changes.
    No it won't. I'm sorry to say but you made a paramount mistake (altough quite a popular one among ABC newbies). What you did was to set the riseman to sea level pressure, which is what almost any pro weatherstation will display. The problem is that your riseman now is only as long accurate as you don't move (meaning stay at the same altitude). As soon as you are going to change your altitude, the numbers you will get are totally screwed up and won't have any meaning at all. It is usally best to let the barometer always untouched, normally there is no need to calibrate anything at all. I highly recommend to set the risemans barometer back to its default - this should be the "Off" setting in the barometer menue.

Also wouldn't that make the altimeter more accurate?
    Again no. Sorry to say but with a Casio you bought the least precise altimeter in the universe. The lack of dedicated sea level pressure, altilock and only marginal thermo compensation will make the altimeter drifting up and down like a yoyo, just like the airpressure is always on the move only the opposite (airpressure rises, altimeter drops and vice versa).

My location is about 880ft above sea level yet my altitude on the riseman reads 700ft. Before I adjusted to my actual barometric pressure it read 29.05, the actual pressure is 29.95. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?
    Nothing to concerned about if you follow my recommendations above. Just remember that you need to recalibrate the altimeter on a daily basis (somestimes very often per day if airpressure goes wild) and if you want something more reliable, there are lots of great alternatives (Highgear, Suunto, Tech4o just to name a few popular ones).

cheers
    Kit Bigjohn likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Thanks Cal. That makes perfect sense to me. Considering the weather station is reporting pressure adjusted to sea level and I am 800 ft above it, that would explain the differences I see when I turn the reference temperature to off. To be honest, the altimeter will be used rarely so that matters little. However, in order for the barometer to be used to predict possible changes in weather (to varying degree of accuracy), what is important isn't necessarily the actual reading, but the trend.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Raym0016 View Post
    However, in order for the barometer to be used to predict possible changes in weather (to varying degree of accuracy), what is important isn't necessarily the actual reading, but the trend.
    In that department the Riseman works pretty well.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information