Am I crazy??
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By G-Shock Absorber
  • 1 Post By furrotik

Thread: Am I crazy??

Am I crazy??

Wait... dont answer that LOL...

So... I have a fairly large G Shock collection. lots of 6900s, 2 7900s, several Masters series etc. I like big watches.

Recently I aquired two "grails"... a Seatime prodiver and an Oris TT1 diver... So two really NICE watches.

And yet... I sit here.... contemplating a new 5600 series.

A little about the 5600 (for me). I dont care for them LOL. They are too small and although I have bought and sold a few I have always had a few in the line up because to me, they are the ubiquitous G. IN MY MIND, you cant call yourself a G Collector if you dont have SOME variant of a 5600. So I think I got my last one at WalMart when I used that very justification.

And yet here I sit... wanting some variant of the classic old model. And I have no idea why. LOL.

I think I have about given up on my search for a GWM5600A-3. And yet... I keep looking... :)

This is such a funny little world of ours huh?

So am I crazy? Or does anyone else keep buying (and perhaps selling) a model they dont really LOVE in hopes that one day they are going to bond with it because they feel they "should"? :)

Anyone? Hello? Anyone? :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Re: Am I crazy??

Jeff_C likes this.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    IN MY MIND, you cant call yourself a G Collector if you dont have SOME variant of a 5600.

And yet here I sit... wanting some variant of the classic old model.
    You yourself answered your question.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I feel like this forum is a madhouse that only increases your addiction. Every now and then even I need to take a break from it lest I acquire more watches than I can wear.
    NeedAG likes this.

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

i agree, gotta have at least one 5x00 in the stash, even tho IMHO its a bit small for me ... i will get one someday ... no sense in trying to stop, just maybe ration your self LoL
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

Yes, the classic 5600 - I once had quite a lot: GLS-5600, GW-M5600, DW-5600MS, GWX-5600, DW-5000SL - sold all except for the GW-M5600 and DW-5000SL. What I hate most about them are the buttons and especially the fact that Casio reduced the length of the buttons with each new model - DW-5600C and 5000C had great-to-use buttons - on the DW-5600E they became off-centered and shorter - on the GW-M5600 still a little shorter and on the GWX-5600 and the newer "Made in China" DW-5600E they are so short that it renders the watch pretty much useless. The "SL" is still OK to use though - buttons are also slightly smoother to press because of the stainless steel case.
    So it doesn't look like I'll be getting another one anytime soon.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Banned

I can understand the impulse. I have two 5600s, the army green one and the G-Lide in shiny shiny black. I think you need to get used to the size over a couple of weeks. Just get one you like and wear it. For, say a month. If you don't like it, then the quintessential G might not be for you. I have sort of the opposite problem- I keep trying on a few of the newer, overly-large models and rejecting them. I like the styling of some of them, but the ridiculous size turns me off. Mind you, I have bought a GWX-56. Though I haven't been wearing it much since buying it, due to the size. But unless you have a wrist over 7.75 inches, A 5600 SERIES IS OFFICIALLY NOT TOO SMALL.
    I have recently bought a DW 6900 after waiting for two years for the right one to come along. Got the NB version, with silver mirror dial.
    Love it.
    Last edited by Scottish Steve; September 25th, 2012 at 15:17.

It's funny you say that, I have one g-shock I have surprisingly similar feelings about. If youdon't know I primarily have negative display digital g's. I got almost every model currently available. Neg display.
    When it came to the g9000 I really had very few choices, so i got the 3v and HATED it. I mean it is a very iconic g and felt I "should" have one but it just sat in the back of my watches. No remorse for not wearing it. Kind of bummed because I could see owning a couple.
    Then I got what I thought was the MIRO set (long story shortened, got the non-atomics) and thought I'd just flip the 9000 that came with the other two. Turns out I really like it. Whew.
    I guess my point is that you have owned a couple of them, just not the right variation? I almost wonder if you should consider "building" one the way you want and just swapping pieces around as you see fit. Just a thought of a different direction for you to go in.
    Last edited by Chrisek; September 27th, 2012 at 12:34.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

You guys may be right. But I just may have my dream 5600 on its,way.

I've had the brown model (never should have sold that one) the glx version and a few of the standard versions.

And soon... the greenie! ;)

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Jeff, I feel ya. I have two 5600s and never wear them. I didn't really seek them out (I won the first one in an auction, but it was the other watch that came with it that I was going after, and the other I bought on clearance at Target for $12...can't pass on that). I modded one to my taste w/ a negative display and put it on a Zulu strap. I like the features of the module, and it's comfortable, yet I just never reach for it. It's just too small.

On that note, it took me a while to warm up to the 6900, as well. When I first began "collecting" a few years ago I would buy just about anything BUT a 6900. At one point I had about 30 Gs in the collection and only two of them were 6900s. I now have about 25 of them!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information