WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Am i weird for not wanting to wear my non-special gshock watches?

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Tetsu Tekubi 
#1 ·
I dont even own those rare/vintage/ultra collectible or even expensive g-shocks

i got a g100 and 2 ga100's not a single of them was wrapped around my wrist.

i just like to look at them. It usually goes like this... I take them off the box, play with them for a minute or 2, then they go back inside the box.

now im thinking of buying a g5600e, and i keep saying to myself that im gonna wear it daily, but i have a doubt that once the watch is already with me, it would have the same fate as the first 3.

any brain doctors here? Can i still be cured?

sorry for the ot, just venting i guess o|

#5 ·

i just like to look at them. It usually goes like this... I take them off the box, play with them for a minute or 2, then they go back inside the box.

now im thinking of buying a g5600e, and i keep saying to myself that im gonna wear it daily, but i have a doubt that once the watch is already with me, it would have the same fate as the first 3.
Where do "special G-Shocks" fit into this story?

It sounds like the thread title could just as easily be "Am I weird for buying G-Shocks and never wearing them?"

Another question is "exactly WHY don't you wear them?" Do you not like their sizes, or way they fit your wrist, or are you just trying to keep them in mint condition?

#8 ·
Haha, i made the title that way so that others wont assume i own a vintage 1980's mint g shock or something. But i like them all, even the bulk. I guess you are right, Maybe im trying to keep them mint (which is the crazy part since they are run of the mill models). Im even looking at youtube right now on diy watch case videos.

I'm not a brain doctor and don't play one on t.v. -- but it does seem weird to me to buy g-shocks and not wear them. If ANY watch was meant to be worn, it's a g-shock!

Of course, I guess some people who collect things don't actually use the things they collect. I guess there's nothing wrong with that. But just curious - do you wear ANY watch? If so, why do you not wear your g-shocks??
Tbh, havent worn a watch for over a decade. The last watch i owned was a swatch (its still ticking in the closet btw)

#6 ·

any brain doctors here? Can i still be cured?

sorry for the ot, just venting i guess o|
Me either i usually wear my wife's G as my daily beater since my frogman spare part is getting more expensive..so i let it inside the box wear it only on special time...taking out just for few shot n sun bathing [emoji7] [emoji7] [emoji7]

Sent from my Lenovo K900_ROW using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'm not a brain doctor and don't play one on t.v. -- but it does seem weird to me to buy g-shocks and not wear them. If ANY watch was meant to be worn, it's a g-shock!

Of course, I guess some people who collect things don't actually use the things they collect. I guess there's nothing wrong with that. But just curious - do you wear ANY watch? If so, why do you not wear your g-shocks??

#21 ·

you mean you werent dr. drake ramoray? disappointed.

#10 ·
Hmmm since the chances of an alien species invading us are 0.0000000001%, are you trying to say that i should "NOT" wear them? :)) jk

right now im conditioning myself to wear one of the ga100's... Then Make a diy watch box for only 3 watches... Then order the g5600e... Then put the g5600e, g100 and other ga100 inside the box... Then Leave wus forever. Lol... Cuckoooo...

#12 · (Edited)
They are yours and you should use them in a way that pleases you, no matter how weird that way is!!
I am the exact opposite and wear my DW5000SL as a true beater (I know it's not the one from 1983, but still it is not your normal 5600E)

It gives me pleasure to see my g shocks scars from the last 5 years, and it gives you pleasure to see your g shocks mint!!
I think we are already considered weird for finding pleasure in watches by "normal people" so us WEIRD (WIS) people should stick together.

I support your way of treating your watches, and won't preach you about how to treat them [emoji4]

#13 ·
First of all make no mistake, we are all, every last one of us here, weirdos. We are considered weird for being WIS's in the first place, and even more so (even amongst the watch collecting community) for being obsessively into these crazy colored plastic watches known as G-Shocks. But hey, you only go around once, why be typical. Weird is fun.

As far as not wearing your watches, if that is how you enjoy collecting them, more power to you. Who am I to question how you get enjoyment out of your watches?

Me personally, I enjoy wearing all of my watches. I buy them to wear, and if they are not going to get worn then they don't have a place in my collection. Naturally I have some that I treat more delicately or wear less often than others, but in the end even a special watch is not special to me if I cannot enjoy the experience of using it as it was intended to be used. Watches are made to wear (IMO), and especially G-Shocks are made to withstand much more abuse than the simple rigors of daily life. And even if you do happen to scuff them here or there and they are no longer in 100% mint condition, the battle scars on the watch will tell a story. A story of hard work, or places traveled, or adventures experienced. A story of the man who wears the watch. To me this is what creates such a close bond with these inanimate objects that we all here obsess over, much more than just admiring it for its pristine condition.

#15 ·
The 3 are the only g-shocks i own. But im already 80% cooked up on buying a 4th (g5600e). And now im lurking auction sites for gxw56's and gw5000's (this forum site is pure evil... I should call a priest or something)

I did own other brands before (and yes i wore them daily) but i stopped wearing (and buying) watches over a decade ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.