Analog vs digital?

Thread: Analog vs digital?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Analog vs digital?

Hello there,

IMHO Casio Analogs G-shock look much prettier than the analog models. But I am little hesitant regarding the abuse that the analog models can bear and maybe they are not tough enough because of the moving parts they contain. Analogs for example do not have moving parts inside.

What is your experience? Is there any reason to concern about analogs G-shock?

Thank you in advance :thanks

Re: Analog vs digital?

I think you mean Digital quatz has no moving parts where analog has several with at least 2 large ones being the hands. I have 2 analog G Shocks the all analog G1000H very nice looking G in my opinion and I have the new GA100 analog digital. I like both. The GA100 to me would be more durable due to just the 2 hands and large resin bezel, where the G1000H is a chrono and has more moving parts. I do not think they will be as durable in a extreme test, however in the real world I think they are plenty tough enough

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Yes, I meant Digital quarts from G-shock series. Thank you for your personal comment.

It would be interesting to create a general "definition" by this forum on this topic, so I guess more comments will be more than welcomed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I recommend both analog and digital watches.

You will eventually get bored wearing one or the other, so changing back and forth is worth it is my opinion.
    Last edited by G-Shocks Are Cool.; July 17th, 2010 at 12:00.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I like all kind of useful functions in digital g-shock's, not for gadgetry but because i really use them. funny thing is, that it is quite contrary with analog watches. An anlog watch works best for me with three hands only, day and date - thats it. I have a GW-2000 and while it is certainly a great looking chronograph and technically one of the most advanced - i almost never wear it.

I also found that i prefer mechanical analog movements, over quartz. since no such a product made by casio exists, seiko got most of my interest recently, especially with the new seiko 5 military (sports) line.

about toughness: no matter whether casio writes ten times "g-shock" on an anlog watch, no one can make me believe that they have the same capabilities as digital watches. i wouldn't hesitate to drop a digital g-shock 20 meters on concrete but i will be damned to do this with an analog.

yes, i'm aware that analog(- digital) g-shock's are plenty tough for daily use, i have enough of them myself, it's simply a law of physic that they can't be THAT tough.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I am currently alternating between my GW 2000 analogue and G 7710 Digital; there is a short review of both in the review section if you are interested.

How I see it is this; a G Shock is a tough watch regardless of wheteher it is ana or dig. I accept that with its moving parts an ana may be slightly less tough. So in extreme circumstances it may be that an ana will get damaged before the dig but hey we live in the real world don't we?

I have had a heap of ana's throughout my life from seiko/tissit/rotary through to omega/breitling/rolex and have never damaged one of them. Even my climbing 'hacks' (animal/swatch/timex) have never been damaged - analogues the lot of them and none of suffered at all.

And I would say without doubt that my GW 2000 is tougher than all of them so it is never going to be damaged as far as I am concerned. And if it is badly damaged whilst I am wearing it then I guess I will be having much bigger things to worry about.

So don't fret about ana being softer than digi - an ana G is one tough watch!

Personally I am liking having one of each - my GW 2000 is a gorgeous looking watch. I find ana's easier to read fast as to me they feel inuitive. It does most things I need from it - mainly telling what time of day it is!

My G 7710 on the other hand is also a terrific watch - does everything I need with its great module and is in short a great timing machine at a very cheap price.

At least one of each type is the way to go I think.

I too think that it is a question of physics.
    Those moving parts within the anas simply can't take as much as the digis with no moving parts.
    Another question is if the watch will ever be beaten hard enough to be damaged but that was not the question and who wants to figure out it with his watch?
    Only atomic clocks tell you what time it is - all others try to do so.

Thanks to all. However there must be a reason that we see so few analog watches by military solder on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post
    However there must be a reason that we see so few analog watches by military solder on duty.
    I don't think there is, actually. Not a rational, ergonomic reason anyway. Watch fanciers tend to attach too much importance to the military aspect of watches. Most soldiers just wear what they fancy like the rest of us. And many of the watches currently issued around the world are analogue.

Although I'm reminded of a British actor who was making a documentary series about the British army. To make sure he looked the part as he joined them in various adventures, he popped down to the military suppliers and strapped on an analogue CWC, like those issued to the British army. Once he was being filmed in Afghanistan it was noticeable that the blokes around him were wearing G-Shocks and Suuntos...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post
    Thanks to all. However there must be a reason that we see so few analog watches by military solder on duty.
    Not sure if that really is the case - maybe it is or maybe it isn't. Does it matter?

You seem to prefer the analogue look so just go buy one. If it's a G it will be tougher than your average watch and how many average analogues ever fail in real life?
    Current watches:

Casio GW-2000B
    Casio G-7710
    Rolex Explorer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information